Thread: Nightmares/Close calls

Default Nightmares/Close calls

A post in the stolen hand guns thread got me thinking too. Till this day I don't know why I didn't grab a gun. I was home at my parents house where I was living with my new wife until our house was done. I was home on RR from the slope. My wife didn't have a job yet I don't think. It was late morning, 11am or so. We were in our bedroom. I said, "I think I hear someone down stairs." She said something and then I said, "I can hear the kitchen being gone through." I didn't grab a gun. I went down the hall to the head of the stairs. I see a big fella in a white dress shirt bent over at the base of stairs near the front door. I could have easily put a shot through his back and out his chest. I instead just say, "Hey what the hell you doing." The guy stands up and says, "Whats your problem I am just getting some knives." I then said you, "You dumb ass I could have killed you." It was my little brother who was selling Cutco Knives at the time. He needed some junk knives to help sell his. So he comes over to my parents house. Comes through a front window and then proceeded to rummage through the kitchen. I said, "Why didn't you just ring the door bell?" "I don't know." Is all he said.
    Last edited by akrstabout; 12-19-2007 at 08:18. Reason: forgot some words

Default Four Years Ago

About four years ago in Fairbanks, late one evening it was about -40F and I heard the Pit bark once.

I went out to the front room and she was growling and fixed to fasten on some young guy. He was drooling literally on some of the tools near the door way. I came out and yelled, " Get the Hell out of here!"

He only had one boot on. He started running out the door and I kicked him right in the keister. He was on the edge of the porched and it launched him headfirst right into the snow.

He stumbled up and started running.

I never saw him again but I never had anyone try to get into the house again , either.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Years ago my wife and I were renting the lower unit in a duplex off of w 30th in Spenard (not exactly what you would call a "nice" area) and our up-stairs neighbors were.............well, lets just say, there werent exactly "law abiding" citizens. So, as we activly worked at saving enough money to buy our first home and get the hell out of that place, we started taking percautions for our personal protection. I wouldnt even get the mail without my pistol, but that's another story. So one night I have all my gun cleaning stuff and re-loading things out (in the kitchen) and have just finished putting my Ruger Vaquero back together and loaded with fresh ammo about the same time as the wife comes in from starting the truck to let it warm up. As we are chating in the kitchen, I hear the door open and someone walking down the stairs into the house! She looks at me all freeked out and says "I DIDNT LOCK THE DOOR!!" I figure, not to worry, I got every gun I own sitting on this kitchen table, a loaded pistol in my hand, and about 5 pounds of gun powder within arms reach.............somebody is in for a world of hurt! So I give my wife the "be quiet signal" and turn towards the hallway with that 45 colt cocked back and ready to go, just as two drunk guys round the corner from the stair well. Remarkably, EVERYONE remained quite calm, and in fact, nobody said anything for some time. Finnaly, one of the two drunks, as he stairs at the 6 loaded holes in that cylinder 8 feet away, says "Ahhhhhhh, sorry.........must have got the wrong door" to whitch I reply "yep..........must have". No other words were spoken, but they made a rather hasty exodous back up the stairs and out the door! Truth be told, I am sure they did in fact pick the wrong door, as the doors for both units were poorly marked and side by side. The wife never left that door unlocked again............not even for a seccond!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

OK, I got one more........... I am filling up (couple years back) at the gas station there on the corner of Minisota and Spenard and this guy is walking around the outside of the store on the side walk talking really loud, and aparently to no one in particular, saying "I am gonna kill every **** white ******* I see....... yep, I am gonna kill somebody today boy, somebody gonna die!" Now, naturally this was troublesome news to me, as 1.... I happen to be white, 2... this dude is obviosly off his nut, and 3....my Vaquero is in the truck door (shut) and I am holding nothing more that a stupid fuel nozzle! I didnt panic, as the guy seemed to be talking more to himself that me or anyone else in particular, and he was mooving away from me towards Spenard rd. Never the less, I gave up on the fueling operation and went for the gun, just in case this guy decided to make good on his threat to............... well, to whom ever I guess. As it turned out, he just wandered off, continuing to bable his senseless crap all the way. After a bit, I walk into the store and ask the gal behind the counter if she saw or heard what went on, she said "yea, heard it all and called the cops, they should be here soon. He's harmless though and comes in here all the time, in fact, he was in here early today and told me he was coming back to kill everybody"....................Ahhhhhh........WHAT! Let me get this strait. Crazy ass guy walks into your store and tells you that he is coming back later to KILL EVERYBODY and your still here! WOW!................Ummmm, I got to go! And out the door I went! You just never know when that gun is gonna come in handy!!!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

These are good stories about what does happen, and what could have happened. My original story that I wrote to AKDSLDG in "guns you have had stolen" was an attempt to remind him, in this really desperate emotional time that he seems to be going through, to just be careful. Stress coupled with fatigue can be a bad combination. With that said, I hope now to read more of your success stories about what might have been.
    Kaboku, that is some picture you painted. I am still laughing. Hope the dog got an extra treat that night eh?

Good Post......

Stressed? yes. Still level headed? yes. The bad dreams have been keeping me awake alot and it's to be expected I guess, time will heal. I will always have a "safely" loaded gun in my home and rig, ya just never know. I can say that with out a dought, I would never pull the trigger unless I absolutly know what is happening and who its happening with.

The dream is defenatly a eye opener and I can honestly say in that situation I would have no problem pulling the trigger. Dirt bag in the house, I say stop and he draws on me? Not wasting anytime to find out if he's any good.

I don't have kids at home to worry about, just the wife and 2 dogs and all 4 of us, yes, all 4 of us sleep in the same bed so If I wake up and feel 3 bodies (4 including me) and hear someone in the house at that time of night, pretty sure they made a bad mistake, lol.

Thanks for the PM's with the offerings of support and help. Great bunch of people here.

Curt

Default snoring dogs

nothing like sharing a bed with a snoring dog, huh Curt?

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    nothing like sharing a bed with a snoring dog, huh Curt?
    LMAO, Nope! I AM THE ONE THAT SNORES! I guess last night I was really bad to, the wife said she beat me all night long and I wouldnt stop, lol, funny, I never felt a thing and got some good zzzz's finally!

Default trade you

2 of yours for my lab. Man he grunts, groans, and honest to god purrs most of the night. I'm about ready to head for the other room so I can kick my feet around.
    Glad to hear you got some needed rest.

When a man with gas goes to bed with a butt sniffin dog then they ain't neither one gonna get much sleep.

I think he even goes on point under the covers!

Default Once

It was a very hot Labor Day weekend. The family and I were asleep upstairs when at about 1:30 am we heard some knocking and a voice. I grabbed my Ruger SS .22 mag. and headed down stairs. I caught a figure in the kitchen, lighted by the street lights, posed myself on the edge of a door frame, cocked the already loaded handgun. I pronounced, halt! "Or I will shoot"; as I leveled the sights on center mass. He began stuttering profusely, don't shoot. Don't shoot. I could smell his breath from 8 feet away. He mentioned a name, Lenny. Lenny was my wife's uncle that lived in the place over a year ago. I hit the light switch and saw a 60-70 year old drunk man standing there. He thought his buddy was still living there. Apparently his knocking, knocked the screen door hook off so he entered.

If he had made one false move.......
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 12-21-2007 at 07:45. Reason: e

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Last year Moose hunting, I was returning to my car on the road and saw my hunting partner and a guy talking by my car. I figured it was a local or something giving us grief about hunting.

I stood there for a bit and just watched them. They couldnt see me. Anyway the guy hops into his jalopy suburban and motors off.

I walk up to my freind who is holding his 45 and shaking like a leaf. My buddy said he had lain down in the grass next to the car waiting for me to show up. He heard a vehicle stop and heard the guy coming over to the car. My buddy got his pistol and jumped up catching the guy checking the door handles to the car.

The guy said he was lost and was coming over to ask for directions, Yeah right, anyway the guy made a move for his coat pocket and my buddy pointed the pistol at his groin and said "beat it"

I had just bought a new snow machine. The wife and I had taken it out for a short trip that day, and got back late. We live in the back of our subdivision and no one ever comes back there. At that time we had no neighbors, or no one living on our street. So when we got home I pulled into the drive and we got out of the truck and went inside. I did not take any precautions to secure the snow machine since I never thought of someone coming back to our house. Any way about 1AM the wife hears something and look out the window. She comes into the bedroom saying someone is messing with my snow machine. I jumped out of bed and ran down the stairs. As I opened the front door I grabbed the 12Ga pump we kept sitting next to the door. I jacked a round into the chamber. The person had unhooked the trailer with the snow machine from my truck. He was turning it around to hook up to another vehicle. An old tan colored late sixties model Oldsmobile was backing up the drive. When I loaded the shotgun the guy moving the trailer heard it and looked up. He dropped the tounge of the trailer, and started running. Screaming at the top of his voice, " The S-- O- A B---- has a gun, Go, Go". He jumped through the rear side window head first into the back seat, and the car sped away. I Peppered the car with two loads of #9 bird shot, knowing it would do no more than scratch the paint at that range. Saw the old car about a week later at the grocery in North Pole. I was standing there looking at the back of the car, with a bunch of little dimples on the trunk lid, when an old man came out and started loading groceries into it. I mentioned the dimples, the old man looked at them and said he did not know where they came from. I looked him in the eye and said "Tell the young man that drives this car at night I'm now loaded with buck shot not bird shot, Next time it will do more than dimple the back of the car". I then walked away.

I later heard through the teenage grapevine, the old man beat the heck out of a teenager (his grandson) that night over on the other side of Kaltag Street. That is about one and a half miles from my house. Ran into the old man several weeks later, he walked up to me and told me he found out what had happened. He appoligized for the incident and assured me it would never happen again.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Default Good one Graybeard

I never popped any rounds before but one night I was ready to. It was early morning 1 or 2am. I heard something upstairs but told myself it was nothing and went back to sleep. I woke up a few more times. The last time I woke up to glass breaking. I then popped up out of bed in the dark, grabbed my sig .40, racked one into the chamber while going out my bedroom door. I fly up the stairs and go around the corner with my gun out in front. All I see is a picture frame on the floor and vertical blinds blowing in the summer breeze. I was proud of myself though. I felt like I was a Navy Seal on a night mission. I went back to bed and took awhile for myself to fall back asleep. The adrenaline was just a pumpin. Talk about scary though, you don't know what the noise is and who might be in your house.

Good stories guys.

OK, I got one more..........and then I will stop.........I promis Way back in the day, I was a single guy living in a seccond story apartment in Arizona. One Sunday morning, really early, I hear some A-hole pounding and kicking on the front door. this guy is obviously drunk............and lost, because he is screaming about his girlfriend and how he "knows she's in there" (and NO she wasnt) so I yell at this guy thru the door to beat it, and that his woman aint here, dont know her, dont know him, and just get the heck out of here and leave me be! No such luck, this guy is determined to get his girl back and absolutly convinced that she is inside with me! To make matters worse, he is kicking the door so hard that the door frame is coming loose from the wall, and the possibility of him getting into the house is looking more and more like a real one! So I grab the only thing I got...........one of those 5 lb dry chemical fire extinguishers and go out onto the deck so I can look around the corner and down on this guy to have a look. So I yell at him again to get going and he turns around and decides he can perhaps climb the wall like spiderman and get up on the deck with me! So I let him have it.............all 5 lbs of dry chem, right in the face! Down he went, and he stayed down! At first I thought he would just shake it off and go on his merrry way..........Ahhhhh, nope! This guy was now in serious danger of being dead, the dry chem had filled his ears, eyes, nose and mouth. so I had to fill a pot full of water and run out side to flush that stuff out of every oriface in his head and get his airway cleared out before he croked on my door step! Let's just say he was a "changed man" once I got him to were he could breath again, and made a rather subdued, and silent retreat.............looking like a deranged yellow powdered freak! At least he was in no danger of catching fire!