Thread: Kodiak Cabins

Default Kodiak Cabins

I have built a few cabins on Kodiak Is. Because of the marine climate (and bears)I like to use metal siding and roofing on a stud/rafter perlon system.
    This one I call home.
    Having a nice beach in a bay is a real plus for moving in the material. We just parked the boat on the beach at high tide ans slid the lumber to the site.
    With a crew of 5 friends we had it framed and 3/4 skinned in 6 days.
    It has a 28x26 footprint with a 3/4 loft. It sits on 38 creo pilings dug below the frostline. 2x8 joists sitting 6x6 sills. I like the 1-1/8" t&g plywood flooring because of the solid feel. If you get the good stuff and paint it good it also passes for a fairly good finished floor.

2x8 wall studs with the perlons notched in for extra strength. Put a layer of tivec under the tin 8" bats with a poly vapor barrier on the inside covered with 3/8 plywood and cabin grade t&g 5/16 pine paneling on the inside. (TIP) get a Porter Cable Bammer or other gas powered nailer for the paneling.

I vaulted the upstairs cieling for headroom. The rafters set on 14' walls so the upstairs is real roomy and has a 6' dormer in the bedroom.
    Started in 99 finished in 02 and have been ejoying it ever since. Added a lean to on the end and a guest cabin, greenhouse and garden for the wife.

IMG]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj285/kempffbay/cabin3.jpg[/IMG]

IMG]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj285/kempffbay/cabin3.jpg[/IMG]

Very nice!

Very nice indeed!!

Thumbs up Nice

that's a awesome place. Really cool. Good job.

How much snow do you get there? Your place is sweet.

Default Snow

Quote Originally Posted by jim mcleary View Post
    How much snow do you get there? Your place is sweet.
    Jim At beach level the snow comes and goes all winter it generally builds up around the 300' level As you can see in the pictures when we started the cabin in early May after a very cold winter (99) the only real depth is on the higher elvations. I have never seen more than a 18" accumulation at the lowere elevations for that part of Kodiak Is.

Default Landscape

The landscape work adds alot to the beauty.Looks like lots of Bull work to me.Hauling all the material ect.I notice the balloon framing.You must have run across some exceptional 2x8 material to use such long lengths.I'll bet you were longing for some rolling scaffolding huh?.Nice job.GR