Thread: Best Goat Areas to hunt 2008

Default Best Goat Areas to hunt 2008

Ok, I now must go after goat instead of sheep since I missed the deadline this year.

What fly in, harvest areas should I consider looking into in order to take a trophy quality goat, and what month is the best to go? I have some ideas but want to hear what others say before setting it in stone.

Thanks for all the help!
    Marc Theiler

Default SE Alaska

The Misty's out of Ketchikan produces some nice goats, and so does Sitka. Weather is always the issue. The earlier the better, HOWEVER, the later in the year, the better the trophy. Not the horns, but the hide. My friend got an August goat that measured 9 inches and I got a November goat that was 9 1/4. their was no comparison when it came to the beard and the coat. The Nov goat was much nicer.

I would say hands down....KODIAK! at least from what I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    I would say hands down....KODIAK! at least from what I've seen.
    Kodiak is all draw for goats, though. (At least I think it is?) For harvest ticket hunts, I've read good things about Southeast as well, but have no experience with the area.

Default juneau reg hunts

Our state capital has some great reg hunts that need not be overlooked.

Default Weather/meat tradeoff

Here in SE, there are great goats.

What you read about much better hides late in the season is true.

It's also true that the later in the season, the more potent the meat. Goats eat very different winter browse. They're delicious in the early fall. Mid-winter tastes... a lot more like they've been eating hemlock needles. (Because they have.)

The weather also gets pretty iffy late in the season. You might not get out at all in late-season hunts. But, as a longtime pilot here in SE once said, "Not trying to be a smart---, but if you want predictable weather, go to Disneyland."

Default goats

Try sheep bay out of cordova,and give crowley the bio. a call and see what he recommends 424-3215...great guy to talk to,and if you decide to go give cordova air a call...424-3289.....all you need to do now is skin the goat,,,,,ha ha ha

dunno about goats but I do have a hankering for kodiak, maybe this fall.

What I do know is southeast got hit hard with snow. SOmething to consider before you go and find very few critters. Sounds like the goats got it not quite as bad but almost as bad as the deer populations.

I do know I wouldnt miss out on sheep just because I missed a draw tag. There is some awful good non draw sheep spots........for now! That'll likely change as people whine about not finding sheep around every rock.

What about walk in access Goat Hunting? (In the greater Anchorage area?) Anything, that is not a draw?

Default short answer

Quote Originally Posted by 1911-MW View Post
    What about walk in access Goat Hunting? (In the greater Anchorage area?) Anything, that is not a draw?
    Short answer for you on this one 1911.

No
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
    Short answer for you on this one 1911.

No
    Well, I hope I get something out of the draws I put in for......

Quote Originally Posted by 1911-MW View Post
    Well, I hope I get something out of the draws I put in for......
    Me too. I hope I get my Kodiak goat tag.

Did the kill the 14 A registration goat hunt?

Default forgot

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Did the kill the 14 A registration goat hunt?
    I forgot about that one Lujon. Not sure if it was nixed.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Both 14C registration hunts - Lake George and 20 Mile - went to a draw this year.

I don't know the story on 14A, though.

kodiak has late season registration hunts but you have to go to local village and get permit 2-3 weeks before the season opens......ploy to keep outsiders out of the hunts.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Little more too it.

Quote Originally Posted by AK NIMROD View Post
    kodiak has late season registration hunts but you have to go to local village and get permit 2-3 weeks before the season opens......ploy to keep outsiders out of the hunts.
    If Kodiak just opened up the whole system to just general registration there wouldn't be a goat left. About five years ago there was a push from the villages (old harbor) to make it a traditional hunt, and it almost passed. If it had went through the only people getting tags would have been the villages, so it was kind of a compromise.

Default Kodiak costs.

If kodiak was to go registration I do not believe it would harm the goats what so ever. The price and logistics alone would deter a lot of resident hunters. Southeast has better trophy potential as well as open reg hunts. my thoughts