Thread: Just Got "new" Used Boat

Default Just Got "new" Used Boat

GOT MY 34 FOOTER SOLD AND PICKED UP 24' ROBERTS BOWPICKER
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default how will it compare

for ride and comfort? Your 34'er looked nice. I wanted to buy it but just couldn't quite yet. Not sure how big I want to go and all. It doesn't look to beat up. Are you gonna remodel or upgrade it? What is your plan for it I guess?

yes i will miss the 34 footer but not the payment. more flexability with this boat that is not required to have oversize permit to move it. just using it for fun esp for hunting and fishing.

Nice boat.

Nice looking bowpicker! When do we get to see the interior? You sure manage to find some unique projects, first the MOG now a cool looking bowpicker.

Default Skweet!

Very nice!
    Does she still have her hydros? You could pull pots and deep anchors with a gypsy or larger winch and capstan on the foredeck. The gillnet fork will make a swell fairlead and you can purse or shoot any amount of anchor rode or sinking line into a longline tub or bucket.
    This will naturally orient your bow toward the wind and sea on a lift. Nice.

Diesel or gas? Jet or prop?

THANX guys
    fyi it is a Pinzgauer not MOG but yes i do
    have one old and one new ROKON (2 wheel drive 2 wheel motorcycles)
    13 foot jet boat with 175 inboard see boating threads
    and looking at bavarian mountain bloodhound for next dog
    and if i ever bought an airplane it would be a Wilga 80 Polish made 4 seater with 9 cyc. counter rotating radial engine. great STOL craft

will post some interior pictures later today

350 gas engine outdrive not jet
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

I believe I saw the Pinzgauer going down the road all lit up like Santa's sleigh last week.

Saw that boat on Craigs list I believe. Beautiful boat. If I could afford it I'd want something identical to it repowered to diesel.
    I saw one on Craig's located in Seward for $4,000. Did you look at that one? Still out of my price range.....
    Yours is a much nicer looking boat though.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

yes this one was on craigslist.
    looked at the $4k one in seward last august, i have photos but the cabin walls have totally collapsed from heavy snow load. would be great project boat too wide for me was 10' 3" so officially would need pilot car to tow it. i really liked it as then i could make the cabin larger. and does not include trailer. i bet the guy would take $3500 for it easily this winter he dropped from 5 to 4K when i went to look in Aug without me trying to get it for less....only reason i drove there was because he said it was 8-1/2 wide....not even close.
    similar one one craislist but i think 26 x 9.5 in anchorage would be a very nice boat for someone , width and small cabin door helped me to pick this one instead. have few pictures.
    there also is a Roberts 24 footer near Glenallen that i looked at last sunday ( was in craigslist last aug.) very nice, small door, 305 engine smaller cabin and large fish reel. also have pictures of it
    also there is a big aluminum bowpicker in kodiak 32 X11 twin gas motors on trailer' guy is really modevated to sell listed for $29k on Permit Masters but saturday night he was willing to sell for $20K. very tempting but way too big for me.

interior shot

interior will get some changes to improve sleeping arrangement for 3 to sleep easier.

cabin was rebuilt and is alittle larger than standard and flying bridge will be nice

and yes that was my pinzguaer all decorated son drove it in Kenai's Parade of lights .....took first place
    Last edited by AK NIMROD; 12-19-2007 at 10:48. Reason: added comment about pinz.

Default Wooo Weee...

.....Nice lookin' boat.

How big are the fuel tank(s) and how far do you think your range is?

Looks like a really versitale boat for an outdoorman. The best thing about a boat that size is it's capable for anything you want to do and at the end of the season or any maintance you can put it back on a trailer easily.

So when are we taking it out and where are we goin'?

Keep us posted on your improvements....Again Nimrod nice boat!

Default congrats

You'll be the envy of all. No payments can make anyone smile. San't wait to get there. Now we know who can take everyone fishing

thanx again
    my son worked on it last night .....i helped he is the mechanic
    the boat had been recently rewired....looks like they used polar wire that is a excellent quality wire.
    batteries were frozen.....so to be safe, got to have good juice to get it started regularly. i went and bought 2 new ones and we wired them in with a battery shut off / isolator switch.
    fuel tank?- he stated 78 gallon before i bought it others with same boat varied between 75-80 . he also carried what looks like 30 gallon barrel. range he said he could make it to seward that would be about .6 gallon / mile figuring about 130 miles.
    he stated 18-20 mph cruise and 29-30 mph
    max ( we will see?????)
    if 15 mph would take 8.6 hrs ???? 10 gph = 86 gal
    if 20 mph would take 6.5 hrs ???? 10 gph = 65 gal

we will see this coming summer how i do but until i figure it closer i will be carrying extra...besides i have frequently gone out 80-90 miles with my old boat so i would need extra to get back . or stop by Chenega and buy fuel. i can see carrying 2-30 gallon drums at times.
    few more photos: rear of boat showing flying brige and nice aluminum ladder and railing.

flying bridge with radar arch down

toyo stove / cabin heater runs off diesel / kerosene very nice item

opposite stove small two person dinette that converts to bed

this winter dinette and bunk will get face lift, new design and covered seat pads.
    this coming summer the boat's mission will be scouting for goats in PWS for fall hunts. esp if i do not draw goat tag.
    might do a little 'but fishing and shrimping at same time.
    Last edited by AK NIMROD; 12-20-2007 at 10:39. Reason: spelling

Nice looking boat! I have always liked bow pickers. A stainless prop will probably help you pick up some economy. I have no experience with I/O set ups but it sure helped with my outboards on my old boat. Go get it bloody!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

If you can measure the fuel tank, use LxWxH divided by 231 and that will give you the gallons it will hold. Didn't see a Racor filter in the pictures, sure hope it has one, but if not i'd get one for sure. Any idea how old the u-joints are on the drive? check both the exhaust & u-joint bellows for wear or cracks. get a extra prop or two and the lock nuts, washers & prop cone that hold them on. Skeg on the drive looks like it might have been in the sand a bit, so i'd check the raw water water pump on the engine for wear or at least install a new impellor and get a spare pump. I usually pull the impellor out of my pump for the winter, they take a "set" over the winter & then the vanes break off and end up in the cooling system causing blockages. I install a new impellor in the spring and that gets me thru the season. I always have a couple of extra impellors on board for spares and also a extra cam & cover plate for the pump. Good luck with the new rig, we'll see ya out there.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

pot builder - thanx for good advice
    it has racor filter
    two extra props ( will need to check on nuts and washers)
    fuel tank is under deck and i do not think very accessable but have not stuck my head down in small hatch yet.
    have already been looking at getting water pump impellers, good idea about removing them in fall .
    no idea on the u-joints but will get my son to help me check them out.
    my son has arranged to store the boat in a heated shop for winter.... that will be great for getting all the projects completed on it.
    i would like to paint it as well so i would not need to wait until warm weather.
    the boat also came with second outdrive not sure what shape it is in.
    thanx again Pat

if your drive is like my duoprop you can pull off just the top box to check the u-joints, when you do that check the coupling down in the drive to see if the drive has ever hit anything hard, sight down the splines inside the coupling & if it took a hit they will be slightly twisted, also make sure the coupling has a score line around the middle of it on the outside, thats the weak link of the coupling so it should shear if you hit something really big and lock up the prop, it should shear and save the gears in the unit. Is your drive a 280? i'm guessing they are similar to the duoprops but with less junk inside to screw-up If you do deside to go with stainless prop make sure you have that new style scored coupling in the drive because if you hit anything with stainless the gears will give before the prop which equals big bucks to repair. Them drives ain't cheap. I'll be at the Wasilla Sportsmans show this spring (on the waiting list for anchorage also) with my shrimp pots so stop by and say hello.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692