Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good knives...

Question Good knives...

Just wondered if anyone owns/uses any of the better quality knives. You know the pricey handmade kind by the likes of Dozier, Randall, Lyle. How about the new super steels such as ATS-34, 154-CM, D-2, S30V? Anyone have a preference or a favorite maker or material for a good outdoor, general duty camp knife?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Take a look at www.thomasbroomeknives.com I can attest to the quality of his products but dont own any. If your interested in something or need information, drop him a line. Tom should be able to tell you everything you ever wanted to know about knives. He is a one man show that works out of his shop behind the house in Kenai, but I have yet to find someone who puts more care into their product. The website hasn't been updated it was built so if you don't see anything you want, call, he will make pretty much whatever you want.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

The only really fine knife I own is a 6" blade Randall #1. This knife was my father's. It served him well through two wars, WWII (Europe)and Korea. When it came my time to serve this great nation, he passed it on to me when I graduated Jump School prior to shipping out to SE Asia. This Randall performed flawlessly throughout my entire military career. (Minor miracle I never lost it). I can't express how much this blade means to me, it simply is my most valuable earthly possession and I treasure it with my life. The only way I would part with it is if my son joins the service (if this does not come to pass it may be buried with me). The #1, IMHO is the finest fighting knife ever made. The only other fighting knife I own is a Fairbairn-Sykes and it is on a unit placque (another prized possession). I don't have any idea what kind of steel my Randall is constructed of, but, the quality and craftsmanship is outstanding. Randall made knives are excellent, their ability to take and hold an edge are without equal. I have considered ordering another Randall in a hunting style, just have never got around to it. Timber out.

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
    "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
    And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
    Isaiah 6:8

That's a real treasure there in the old Randall. I own a few Randalls but none that have traveled as that one has. I bought my first one in Februray of 1971 while I was a jump school at Fort Benning. (The Navy didn't issue them either.) I Took a road trip to the Florida shop and got a #1 fighter with a 7" blade. It is my most trusted companion blade. I carried it in some bad places and for years it was painted black all over. I now have all the paint off of it and back to its original finish. Randall did that for me for free. They are the most durable and useful of any brand of knife I've ever used. Bo Randall always used 01 steel, meaning 1% carbon. The first high carbon knife steel. Now they have added a very good Swedish stainless.
    I have a couple of hunting style Randalls and one that I designed, drew out on a piece of notebook paper and sent to Bo back about 1982. It is with his green canvas micarta handle. I am a big fan of Randall made knives.

My favorite steels are 01, A-2, D-2 and in a thin bladed smaller knife or a folder I like 154CM or the Japanese equivalent of it ATS-34. I've studied knives and knife steel since grade school when got my first Marble knife. It was a used woodcraft blade given to me by a neighbor down the road. I like good quality hand made knives. I also have a couple Fairbairn designed knives.

Thanks for the response I like to talk about knives.
    Last edited by Murphy; 12-19-2007 at 23:30.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I have 2 custom knives coming in January that are being built by Gene Ingram. A # 1 drop point and a # 4 Bird and Trout in D2 steel with snakewood handles. When I ordered mine he told me it would be a year before I would get them, now his orders are taking close to 2 years, his knives are that popular.

Murphy,
    Marble, now that brings back some memories. I spent my formative years in the UP, and any Yooper worth his salt relied on Marble products. The Marble tang sight on my old 94 turty-turty helped me to shoot true. My Marble knife took care of many da big buck once I got him down. If it woren't for a Marble pin-on compass on the Soo Woolen, I would have never found my way out of some of dem cedar swamps (which in retrospect maybe won't been such a bad thing). We figured those compasses were the only way to find your way back to da camp especially in the Iron country. My grandfather was a bigshot with the Minneapolis and Duluth South Shore and the SooLine railroads and knew Webster Marble quite well. Sure do miss the UP at times, bet it still hasn't changed much at all. Ain't been back to the UP in over ten years since my Dad passed on.

Randall knives are now sceduling delivery for orders in third quarter 2012. Well worth the wait; hope I'm still around to appreciate it, if I do decide to pull the trigger. A couple of my mates have Gene Ingram knives and they are very nice also. Side note: I have always carried a good knife of one kind or another on me. It always kills me when someone asks to use your knife and then when they use it they comment: "that's really sharp," and my comment back is: "it's a knife ... wouldn't be much good to anyone if it wasn't." Timber out.

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he to-day that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile, This day shall gentle his condition: And gentlemen in England now a-bed Shall think themselves accursed they were not here."
    - William Shakespeare
    Last edited by Timber Smith; 12-19-2007 at 11:20. Reason: add on

I have a handmade knife built by my buddies father, He brought it back for my b-day after his R&R. Pretty knife built from scrap farm implements, I think they are built from a disk tiller. Sweet blade sharpens wonderfully. I also have an alaska knife works (I think) small skinner with an usik handle love that knife but don't take it out too much since dad got it for me as a present for when I left for the military. I would really hate to lose it!

I have a couple of middle of the road Gerbers with S30V steel. Have also picked up a couple of custom knives at local gun shows in the years back. However on my last hunt the knife that I enjoyed using the best was a Cold Steel boning knife that cost me $15.
    Tennessee

Default Outdoor

I have a Puma Outdoor made in Germany Best No.6378 Serial # 27282 and it was purchased new in the 70's. I like it and don't really know if it is in the same boat. I also have a couple of Ruana Bonner knifes. I don't know much about them except I enjoy them all.

I have a Gene Ingram knife, man that knife is sharp and will hold an edge for a long time. I just orde another knife from Charles May. The only reason I went with Charles May is because his waiting time is 12 months VS Gene that is about 2 years.

Regards

Thumbs up Dozier

I have a knife made by Bob Dozier...I think it is the Professional Guide model. I bought it 12 to 14 years ago. Excellent blade, sheath. Holds an edge like nobody's business but requires concentrated effort to get a good edge. D-2 is not stain proof but it is oh so tough. I dressed out 2 moose and only touched up the edge with a crock stick. The blade is too big for caping but ideal for butchering and quartering.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    I have 2 custom knives coming in January that are being built by Gene Ingram. A # 1 drop point and a # 4 Bird and Trout in D2 steel with snakewood handles. When I ordered mine he told me it would be a year before I would get them, now his orders are taking close to 2 years, his knives are that popular.
    I've got nine knives from Gene all in D2 and have been very pleased with them. He has very well finished, clean designs in useful sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Just wondered if anyone owns/uses any of the better quality knives. You know the pricey handmade kind by the likes of Dozier, Randall, Lyle. How about the new super steels such as ATS-34, 154-CM, D-2, S30V? Anyone have a preference or a favorite maker or material for a good outdoor, general duty camp knife?
    D2 or S30V. They seem easier to get sharp and seem to hold an edge longer than 154CM or ATS 34 for me anyway. Of course nothing beats carbon steel for pure hair popping sharpness. In addition to Ingram and Charles May I would look at Scott Cook and Wayne Hendrix. Pretty much impossible to order a knife directly from them, bu their stuff is out there on the secondary market.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskadude View Post
    I just orde another knife from Charles May. The only reason I went with Charles May is because his waiting time is 12 months VS Gene that is about 2 years.
    Regards
    I've got an S30V Scandi Slitter on order from Charles. Should be a good one.

Default first one

I just got my first custom knife today. Id is a drop point d2 steel. It was made by F.L Ownby here in north pole. I was sw=howing my wife how cleanly it would shave the hair off my arm. Sweet kinfe but i need a band aid.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

Quote Originally Posted by Matt M View Post
    I have a knife made by Bob Dozier...I think it is the Professional Guide model. I bought it 12 to 14 years ago. Excellent blade, sheath. Holds an edge like nobody's business but requires concentrated effort to get a good edge. D-2 is not stain proof but it is oh so tough. I dressed out 2 moose and only touched up the edge with a crock stick. The blade is too big for caping but ideal for butchering and quartering.
    I have a very similar Dozier knife, the professional skinner, tough D-2. It does take an effort to sharpen but can be done with experience, but it isn't needed often. His knives are about RC61, for hardness. I have some other Dozier knives and they are very well made at not as pricey as some.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfkiller View Post
    I just got my first custom knife today. Id is a drop point d2 steel. It was made by F.L Ownby here in north pole. I was sw=howing my wife how cleanly it would shave the hair off my arm. Sweet kinfe but i need a band aid.
    I have one that Frank made for me with an usik handle and a damascas wood craft style blade. He does good work and can temper a knife correctly. He can sure sharpen one also, I guess you know that.

Chisana,

I ordered the Stump from May. I got a Gene # 1 drop point and needed something different. Gene and May sure make some pretty knife, not to mention functionals.....

I have 2 knives and I never go in the woods without them.

A custom 4” drop point with an elk horn handle by Jim Sigg of “Siggma Knives”. The steel is L-6 and I have to tell you I’ve never owned a knife this sharp and capable of holding an edge for so long. Additionally it’s tough as nails, I love it.

A 2 & 3/4” “Small Skinner” with a stag handle from Dunn Knives. The steel is S60V. Not one complaint here, this knife has served me very well through many years in the field. Very sharp and really holds an edge.

BTW I do have a Randall on order (Model 3 – 5”), it’s been three years since I ordered it, and I think I should be receiving it some time in 2008. I can’t wait.

I have a Lofgreen custom skinner that my uncle Bobby made (no longer makes them so this isn't a sales pitch) as well as a neat little boot knife unmarked and made by one or another of my uncles (several talented knife makers in the family). Not sure of the steel but it was real hard to change the edge profile on the skinner and it holds up really well.

He had an 18 month backlog on an $800 knife in the 70's, but 4 years! You are patient.

I ought to take some pictures of them. I have a couple of saved magazine profiles on his work including American Blade in '78. He was admitted to the American Knifemaker's Guild in the 70's and introduced to the guild by Robert Loveless the President saying, "Now this next applicant isn't just trying to become a knifemaker, he already is a knifemaker." Here is a magazine scan of a bowie that American Blade profiled that I always fancied, or rather coveted:

I just picked up the Buck Vanguard Alaskan Guide series knife in S30V with a Titanium Aluminum Nitride coating and brass/laminated Rosewood handle from Cabela's for $95 and then ordered another one (a great bargain in my opinion, locally it is $100 in 420HC without the TAN coating).

I need to pick up something for my daughter and two boys now.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Thumbs up I like that Bowie!

Yup that’s they way it goes, but it’s for a good reason. Randall takes all military orders first and then prioritizes the commercial business.

If you’re looking for an interesting read check out: Randall Made Knives: The History Of The Man And The Blades. Very interesting….

http://www.amazon.com/Randall-Made-Knives-History-Blades/dp/0873647114/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1198682379&sr=1-1

Default knives....

For a number of years (35), I bought more than a few handmade knives and was regularly disappointed. I've settled on several fixed blades that suit me, and have retired from buying more.

Dozier....Personal straight...made larger than standard by 20%. .125" D2, 3.25" blade. don't like the Kydex sheath - the belt loops break off with daily wear. Made my own leather sheath, which lasts and suits me. The knife though is great. My every day carry knife.

TMD....Ted Dowell...one of the long time first rate makers. I have 2 of his Featherweight models. 3/32" Vasco wearsteel...tough, very thin, and takes and keeps a very sharp edge. My favorite hunting knives. Not cheap.

I have 2 folding knives I like, although I don't particularly care for folders....one is an AGRussell onehanded knife with a 154-cm Wharncliff pattern blade. The other is a Columbia Knife and Tool "Bwana" designed by Russ Kommer...a very trick, broad, folding skinner, 3.5" blade of aus8 steel.

All these knives are hollow ground. If they aren't enough, it's time for an axe or my Husky arborist chainsaw.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast