Thread: Flathorn or Figure 8 lake

Default Flathorn or Figure 8 lake

has anyone been ridding out at point makenzie area by flathorn lake? is there any kind of closure to that area until they get enough snow or do we just have to wait until it freezes up enough.

Mark

I went out there on Dec. 1st when the Little Su froze over. We only caught 4 fish, and only one of any size.

As long as you stay on the right-of-way, it opens on Nov 10th (but the Little Su is rarely froze over that early).

hey thanks mark.
    how thick was the ice? any trouble getting to figure 8 on your atv? i usually take the machines, but the atv might be the ticket this year.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by kobuk View Post
    hey thanks mark.
    how thick was the ice? any trouble getting to figure 8 on your atv? i usually take the machines, but the atv might be the ticket this year.
    On Dec. 1st the ice was about 6" thick. I'm sure it's over a foot now.

No trouble getting there at all. We took a 6x6 Ranger, but there was virtually no snow at all. Now there's a little bit, but I'm sure the snow on the trail is beat down to hardpack.

Default Directions????

Hi,
    I am a new ATV owner and am curious how one rides into Figure 8 Lake. I have heard a lot about it, but am unsure of how to get there. I have a 2007 Grizzly EFI EPS and would be riding in with a group of experienced riders. We would all like to take a shot at the pike we have heard of up there. Can anyone enlighten me on how to find the trail to figure 8 on an ATV?

Talking Also looking to make this trip

I would also like to get the directions, or tag along with someone else to hit up some pike. I'm looking at trying it on Monday for a full day of fun and fishing. I live in Eagle River, so would leave this area around 7:30 am or so to get the most out of the fishing day. If your interested, hit me up.

For more info if you can't get it here, there is a General Store/Restaurant on Point McKenzie Rd near the T intersection. The owner there is very pleasant and will be able to point you in the right direction. I cannot recall the name of the place, but she had a really good pattimelt.