Thread: A New Loading Manual

Smile A New Loading Manual

I see the new Nosler reloading manual advertised in my favorite supplier catalog. This long talked about version number six, is it finally here? Has anyone ever actually seen this new manual? Is there anything new and exciting in it? Maybe data for the 338 Federal or the 308 Marlin. Hopefully the 375 Ruger as well. Nosler was the last company to update their manual, I hope the wait was worth while. For only $20 I'll have to get one on order soon. I never miss a new addition to the loading library.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Hmmmmm, I might have to order one myself........... that is, AFTER my checking account recovers from the savage beating it just took Christmas shopping!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Smile

[quote=Murphy;183950[I]]....Maybe data for the 338 Federal....[/i]

I almost ordered it for my brother who wants to start reloading, but, since I have the previous addition and only have bits of Sierra reloading data (copied it from a friend) I ordered the Sierra book, knowing that I'll steal it back within weeks of giving it to him.

Murphy, I received 200 count of the .338 flat base Sierra 225 grain bullets today, I was hoping you would share your loading data for them out of the 338 Federal? How do you rate these bullets at 338 Fed velocities for elk/moose. Your input/advice is greatly appreciated.

What do ya think of those bullets? I went up to 45.0 grains of H4895 and got a little over 2400 fps from my 21" barrel. Start at 40 grains. Also used a max of 46.0 of Varget if you can get that much in the case. That hit 2400 fps also. I used H4895, Benchmark and Varget for the 210 partitions and got 2500 fps with them. I think the Hodgdon site is where I got this data. If you want to get by with just one powder, it would be H4895. Does a good job with all bullet weights.

The Sierra bullets are just plain cup and core but at the 338 Federal velocity they will work just fine on moose. That bullet is going to have a slight edge over the 358 Win with better sectional density. One of the nice things about these smaller cased mid bores is they can be used with the much cheaper bullets with no loss in performance. I'm a big fan of the 338 bore anyway and would select it over the 358's and have never been let down by them. It's a great round in a light weight compact rifle when you don't want to be kicked around by the big stuff.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thumbs up Thanks again

[quote=Murphy;184151] What do ya think of those bullets?

What do I think? I think I'm grateful that you let us know about them and that I got some. FYI there is only about 1500 count left.

Thank you for the data.

Default We just put 'em on the shelf!!!

We only got three, so not likely we'll crack one open for reference just yet. I'm thinking I'll drag one home tonight.

What's the best overall manual for someone new to the process?

The new Speer number 14 is very good and has most of the new calibers. If the data for the latest in calibers is needed maybe the new Hornady or this yet or be seen (by me) Nosler. The Speer seems to have good details for beginning loaders.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    The new Speer number 14 is very good and has most of the new calibers. If the data for the latest in calibers is needed maybe the new Hornady or this yet or be seen (by me) Nosler. The Speer seems to have good details for beginning loaders.
    Thanks. I will check out.

On another note, what store in Anchorage has the best combo of knowledgable staff and equipment? Or, am I better off just using a place like Midway?

Thanks!

I think Great Northern guns (I think that's the name) on Tudor has the best selection of equipment and knowledge. I like the shop, it's always on my list of places to go when I get to the big city.

Sportsman's whorehouse had 5 copies when I left today, around 6:00 PM.