Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flathorn or Figure 8 Lakes

Default Flathorn or Figure 8 Lakes

has any one made it out to flathorn or figure 8 lakes yet? is the little su froze up yet? i don't think that there could be much snow yet, but the four wheeler would make it! with this cold spell things should be freezing up pretty good. i also wasn't sure if the area stays closed to snowmachines or 4-wheelers until there is enough snow? any input would be great!

I have not been out that way yet. I was considering it for this saturday, so i to would like an update. Thanks everyone

Default supposed to be accessable now?

I was invited to go out to Flathorn this weekend, but am leaving for N. Michigan Thursday for the holidays. From what I was told, it is accessable. I should get more details tomorrow and will let you know what I heard. I will probably be fishing perch and walleyes this weekend as it sounds like the bite down there is going pretty well right now......

Default Legal?

Can you legally go to figure 8 right now? I thought you have to have 12 inches of packed snow before you are allowed to ride out there. I know flathorn there is supposedly an easment because of cabin owners though so you can go any time of year, from what I have been told.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    Can you legally go to figure 8 right now? I thought you have to have 12 inches of packed snow before you are allowed to ride out there. I know flathorn there is supposedly an easment because of cabin owners though so you can go any time of year, from what I have been told.
    There is an easement to both Flathorn and Figure 8 Lakes that opens Nov. 10th.

The problem is crossing the Little Su. It rarely freezes that early.

I crossed on Dec. 1st this year.

Be warned: Stay on the easement if the Department hasn't posted the "okay" notice, which is what the 12" of snow thing is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    There is an easement to both Flathorn and Figure 8 Lakes that opens Nov. 10th.

The problem is crossing the Little Su. It rarely freezes that early.

I crossed on Dec. 1st this year.

Be warned: Stay on the easement if the Department hasn't posted the "okay" notice, which is what the 12" of snow thing is all about.
    OK
    The year before last, when there was not enough snow like this year, year I encountered a state trooper twice on Flathorn. He said we were not allowed to go to Figure Eight until there were 12 inches of snow, so I guess I am still a little skeptical. I've been wanting to go for weeks now though.

Is the ice road started yet?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Last I heard the only easement is to Flathorn Lake, you need 12" of snow to get to Figure Eight. A call to DNR is advisable to those wishing to make the trip to Figure Eight Lake. I would never take any post on an internet forum as gospel when dealing with gov. regs/laws.

Default Pikey me likey

yesterdays catch. very cold, 5+ hours on the ice. and no, it's not flathorn or figure 8. closer and right next to the road. made sure it was dark before taking any pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Fisherman Law!

That is just so wrong! But highly entertaining!

Default Its good

Willow got dumped on last night, the 20th- about 10 inches. Not enough to open up any state parks, but enough to cool the rails! As to Figure 8, here's the skinny. In the last couple years, the rules were changed from 12 inches of snow, to 12 inches of FROZEN GROUND. Riding off the trail is only allowed on frozen over ponds- you are allowed to leave the trail, but it has to be on sufficiently frozen water- not tundra, not woods. This is because of the winds in that area- it is rare to get 12 inches of snow that stays over the entire length of the trail. Also, the power or gas company was walking cats in the survey trail to Figure 8 without the snow cover there, so they had already ripped up the trail. The ice road being established to Beluga also forced them to change the old policy. For once the state did something right! As long as the ground is frozen solid, you can ride back there now. I would recommend visiting the department of Fish and Game or the DNR, whichever agency controls that, and getting the order stating those rules. Don't call them- you'll only get someone who actually knows the pertinent rule about 25% of the time- and of the 75% who don't know, half will just tell you you can't. (especially in the troopers, it seems. Talk to Torey Oleck in Palmer, if to anyone in the troopers- he will usually steer u straight, and I THINK he actually knows those regulations. There's a ton of confusion as to what the regs regarding the accesses to both Flathorn and Figure 8 are, and that confusion extends to the Dept of Fish and Game and the troopers.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    .......As to Figure 8, here's the skinny. In the last couple years, the rules were changed from 12 inches of snow, to 12 inches of FROZEN GROUND.....
    Actually the trail to Figure 8 was made a general right-of-way like the Flathorn trail. I printed out the permit in late November and took it with me when I went out on Dec 1.

I'll be dipped if I can find it on the web again...............

....I would recommend visiting the department of Fish and Game or the DNR, whichever agency controls that, and getting the order stating those rules. Don't call them- you'll only get someone who actually knows the pertinent rule about 25% of the time- and of the 75% who don't know, half will just tell you you can't. (especially in the troopers, it seems. Talk to Torey Oleck in Palmer, if to anyone in the troopers- he will usually steer u straight, and I THINK he actually knows those regulations. There's a ton of confusion as to what the regs regarding the accesses to both Flathorn and Figure 8 are, and that confusion extends to the Dept of Fish and Game and the troopers.
    Yup. Unfortunately, that's common. Even the troopers don't know the rules.

When I have time I'll look for that permit webpage..........

Default flat horn or figure eight

So can youdrive a snowmachine out to figure eight yet. I s the fishing picked out at flat horn this year. Can some one give an up date.
    Thanks
    Big daddy

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly1 View Post
    Last I heard the only easement is to Flathorn Lake, you need 12" of snow to get to Figure Eight. A call to DNR is advisable to those wishing to make the trip to Figure Eight Lake. I would never take any post on an internet forum as gospel when dealing with gov. regs/laws.
    Ron is on the money here. A simple call to DNR or to the state po po would be best.

Last year I heard that the troopers were getting a little anal about the snow and giving out tickets because there wasn’t 12 inches under the track or the sled or tire of the atv...

Default Permit name

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    Ron is on the money here. A simple call to DNR or to the state po po would be best.

Last year I heard that the troopers were getting a little anal about the snow and giving out tickets because there wasn’t 12 inches under the track or the sled or tire of the atv...
    I called the Fish and Game in Palmer today, and had them fax me the permit. It is ok to go to Figure 8; the permit allowing access is "Special Area Permit FG 07-11-GP02." Having a copy in hand when you go there is a great idea- thanks Mark! Under this permit you may access Figure 8 lake via vehicle weighing less than 1000 lbs gvw. (to use something heavier the permit is FG 07-11-GP03, and I haven't read that one yet. I believe that one only applies when the ice road is in, but don't quote me there.) This permit is in effect now, though. The pertinent section is Section 3, which follows:

3. "From November 9 through March 31, the ENSTAR Gas Pipeline Right-of-way and marked trail may be used to access Figure Eight Lake in the absence of the 12-inch snow cover provided the trail conditions are sufficient to prevent penetration of or disturbance to the soil surface or plant roots. Operation off of the Right of Way and trail is prohibited in the absence of the 12-inch snow cover."

Hope this clears things up! There is a tiny bit of snow now- a friend drove to Burma Landing and back out in 2 wheel drive today, December 27, with no problem. So there's not very much yet- less than 6 inches. Lots of ice though.

Thanks willphish, I'm gonna call ADF&G & get one of those permits .

How goes it Nate, good to see you here!

Do you need one of those permits in hand or just tell the trooper, could somebody scan the permit and post it, would that work.

Default None needed

There is no need of a permit in hand. The permit in question is an open special use permit that applies to any and all who are traveling the gas pipeline and seismic trail to Figure 8 Lake. Its not a permit in the sense of a game permit or harvest ticket. Having a copy of the order in hand is just a good way of hedging your bets- if anyone tries to hassle you about being on Figure 8 without enough snow on the ground, its the best way to head off an argument. Its the same reason I try to keep a copy of the hunting/fishing regs with me when I'm in the field.

thanks, maybe somebody could post a copy

Default Anyone headed that way Monday?

I posted this in the ATV section, but the real reason is to fish, so is anyone headed to Figure 8 on Monday? I'm looking to get into the pike there, but haven't been there before. Any takers?

How are the trail conditions to figure 8? Do u think a 4wheeler could make it?
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast