Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Money to hunt with

Default Money to hunt with

Here's another thread to shoot at.

Where do you get your hunting money?

Alaska is a pretty expensive place to hunt - especially if you are a non-resident. I took the long road and retired from teaching in New York State with a decent pension. We live in a modest house, all our children are grown up & have good jobs, and I budget about 20% of my income for hunting. That way, I can participate in 3 or 4 DIY hunts each year. My wife agrees that this is a suitable amount.

How about you?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Where do you get your hunting money?
    It's just a part of our lifestyle, so my wife and I don't view our hunting money as any different than our other money. We'd rather be in the woods than at a nice restaurant, so that's where we spend our discretionary income. My hunts are mostly low-cost as well, with the exception of gear expenses. Again, though, we use our gear year-round, so it's not just hunting-specific gear that I buy.

That being said, I have been saving for a new bow by covering other teachers when they are gone for a class period. Our school district is desperately short of substitute teachers, so sometimes they need other teachers in the building to cover classes. I do that whenever possible, and at $30 a pop I have built up a decent bow fund. Almost time to go shopping!

I teach classes for Embry Aeronautical University on base and referee high school and middle school wrestling. Its not much but it helps. Now that my daughter hunts, costs have doubled but a small price for a great partner.

I will be at work this saturday to make a little extra since I have been in a spending freeforall this month (new Alaknak II tent w/ woodstove, mapping GPS, otter sled and hitch mount for my sno-go, nother box of 325 wsm ammo, big agnes pad will probably get picked up tonight...) Wife is really supportive and is excited about getting set up for camping in the summer cause woodstove or not she aint goin out in the winter time!

I work the front counter at Mcdonalds for and moonlight at Payless shoes. On the weekends - i can be found at the transfer station looking for new treasure

Default Where does money come from?

I used to mow lawns and have a paper route, now I just pocket the change when the wife sends me to the store, and if she doesn't know about it, it won't hurt right? believe me, a dollar here and a few dollars there will add up pretty quick...try it.

I work oil and gas, but like LuJon I think I spent most of my check this month on attempting to ready myself for an 08 moose hunt. New packs, sleeping bags, bow and the list goes on and on with each day that passes. No wife to worry about where my money is going, not sure I could handle that just yet.

I work part time for a friend doing tileing and flooring plus i use my PFD and tax return money. I also save a little from my regular paycheck when I need too.

I go deeper into debt every year, not recommended. Last spring I bought a boat, this winter I bought a new bow. It will be 10 years before I can afford to go on a serious hunt.

Until then, I will continue to sneak in the back of McDonalds so Cutter can give me some free french fries so I can feed my kids.

If I smoked, I could quit. That would earn me enough to go on a guided moose/brown bear hunt every fall!
    Last edited by Valley Trash; 12-18-2007 at 17:21. Reason: added a line

Thumbs up Where does the money come from?

I am living the dream man! I head out my back door and I can be hunting with in 30 minutes. I know I am the exception but moving up here was part of the big plan that included hunting when I wanted where I want. I have passed up 6 moose this year alone and one was a big boy at 55+ inches. He had his nose shoved up a cows butt and I was too dam far from my boat to be packing moose that far. Ran into a nice bull last weekend on my Snow machine. Itís all part of living in gods back yard. You guys who have to live in the lower 48 have it tough trying to earn enough $ to come up every few years. Having to save and budget is a pain but well worth the effort. 500,000 caribou canít be wrong! WACH hunting is a dream! I just love having the option of heading out next weekend if what I al looking at this weekend is not the right size.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Backcountry Rentals
    Your best bet in Rafts and camp rentals
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    33 miles north of the Arctic Circle
    Attached Images Attached Images

I practice my purse "snatching" routine......I've got it refined don't to a fine science. The secret it to run like H***!

Actually, I really don't save for hunting season a whole lot, I buy what I need through the year. I have 6 polydrums for my boat and I try to fill them up a few months prior to hunting season so the fuel doesn't kick me in butt all at one time.

The only thing I save up for is: Time off work. Pretty much everyone knows when Sept. comes around don't expect me to be at work cause it just isn't going to happen.

I try to have enough time off between earned hours and comp time that I can take at least 2 weeks off and depending how fast I get a moose, I take another week or so off for waterfowlin'

Default credit card!

Just put the entire hunt on a credit card, and spend the rest of the year paying it off. Thats what I do. One day I hope to be able to pay without having to use the credit card but for now it works.

I sell the publics resource.

Default extra job

My Father in law bought a septic truck, that I run in the summer months as a second job. His only stipulation is that I put all the money in a envelope at his house so my wife cant touch it, and use it only for hunting. I sure have great in laws.

Ltlbucks

I know it's really out of fashion these days, but I save for it.

Default Time! not money to hunt!!!

Having grown up in Cantwell I've found that no amount of money can make up for time in the field. My bro and I growing up there were out everyday after school and every weekend during hunting season. We were successful getting moose and caribou every year due to the time we put in the field cause Lord knows we didn't have the $$$.

Today I've been blessed with a great job that allows me to acquire most of the things needed for hunting (minus a plane as of now). Having money to hunt does help but time is your greatest friend. Now I work on the slope with a 2 week on 2 week off job. Any work I do now is solely for time off during hunting season rather than the extra money. This seems to be my greatest improvement for success of taking animals rather than working over to be able to afford the latest four-wheeler or gun.

Thumbs up You Alaskans have certainly got the right ideaÖÖÖ.I am envious indeed!

I live and work in the armpit of AmericaÖÖ
    I live in a neighborhood hemmed in between two major slums 5 minutes east and west of my house. My oldest son is 4 Today (happy B-Day Patrick!) and I seriously have to move very soon because our schools are literally in the bottom 10% of the state. He takes after his Mother; heís exceptionally bright. So I need to make sure he has a chance in life. Iím only 14 miles from NYC but it takes me 90 minutes from my house to the office in Manhattan, then another 90 minutes back home. And thatís without a traffic disruption! Oh ya and Iím on a bus that affords us a commercial commuter lane. On top of this I work in a NYC sales office, what a pressure cooker, my team (7 total) are responsible for $85k of new revenue every month, or were firedÖÖ
    Iím really not trying to complain, these are just the facts.

The upside is that on average NYC jobs pay very well, however it doesnít go far in the tri-state area - but itís still good. This is where I get my hunting money, and I feel that Iíve earned the right to spend it as I wish - where I wish. Frankly if it wasnít for my hunting trips I could not handle life here on the east coast. Planning, living and reflecting on my annual hunting experience is precisely what keeps me going, I need it.
    I did a guided goat hunt this last year in the Chugach Mountains, and man oh man what an experience that was! This was very expensive and it took me 3 years to save the money but it was worth every penny and the time.
    I plan on returning to Alaska this spring to do a D-I-Y black bear hunt with 2 of my buddies. This is much more economical, and I could swing something like this every year. Iíve officially caught the Alaskan bug! And now I need to come back.

Iíd like very much to relocate to Alaska, and Iím lucky enough to have my wifeís consent, what a woman! So Iím currently trying to line up a few job interviews after my black bear hunt this spring, hopefully we will be neighbors one day!

Everytime I come home I empty my pockets of all the change and $1 bills.
    The change goes into a jug for our fly in trip to Kodiak every year and the $1 bills are saved for boat gas money. The $1 add up way faster than you may think. I usually can not use them all up during the summer boating season.
    Sometimes when I do custom art framing and matting I slip a little bit into the hunting fund as well.
    Tennessee

Default whats a college fund

My cids donent kneed a collegge fund! Just joking, even being an alaskan I spend, more and more money every year plus dont forget all the toys, four wheelers, sled, zodiak, plane. Its called retire get another job and let the wife pay half of the bills.

Terry

Northwest, boat or no boat, didn't your mom tell you to never shoot a moose in the water....hehehe....nice!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast