Thread: LOOP fly rod???

Default LOOP fly rod???

I hinted to my wife that I wanted a G-loomis 7-wt fly rod for x-mas. She ended up getting me a LOOP 9' 6" 7wt. I have never heard of them and wanted to know if anyone else has? She said the guys at sportsman's told her it was better than G-loomis. It's a little too cold for me to use it right now so I was wondering what everyone thought.
    Thanks,

Default it's what most of the trout bums use

from The Trout Bum Diaries. It'll probably work well for you.

Default Loop

Loop fly rods are really good, I was surprized they sold them at Sportsmans,You will like it, has a good feel, and pretty light. I also have there older LW evotec reels, before they changed over to Danielson, The reels are relly nice! and back then they cost an arm and a leg, and they were hard to find. I know they have the reels in Sportsmans now but they are not the same, I looked at one and felt one, it felt different and not as smooth., however they are more reasonably priced.

Check out their videos on their website. They sponser this 19 year old kid who does some outrageous stuff with a fly rod. Everything I have heard about them has been good. You just dont see their stuff around too often.

I have been fishing off and on with a LOOP Green Line Flyrod 9'9" 8wt 3pc for about 4 years, it is great rod for salmon especially chum and coho. Rod came with an extra tip that I have never had to use, additionally rod tube has a shoulder strap. I also have an Evotec reel that is still in the box since I haven't worn out my old Ross Gunnsion reel yet.

Default Thanx for the comments

Thanks for the comments. I can't wait till break up so I can try it out! I have to catch a 30+ inch trout this year (along with a few hundred salmon)

Loop is a far cry from Loomis or even sage! Not bad rods but my .02 is that they cant compare! why am i not suprised that sportsmenís warehouse told your wife that!

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    Loop is a far cry from Loomis or even sage! Not bad rods but my .02 is that they cant compare! why am i not suprised that sportsmenís warehouse told your wife that!
    I went to sportsmans warehouse one time and didnt find what I was looking for and the kid working had this advise, "I just went to walmart and bought the most expensive flyrod they had and it works for me"....I havent been back there.

The things my wife has given me are precious to me because she gave them to me, not because of the label. The best way to validate the gift your wife gave you is to go out and catch more fish than the guy with the more expensive gear that'll be standing next to you on the river.

Sportsmen's Warehouse is what it is, a warehouse. It is a decent place to go if you know what you want, get it at a reasonable price and don't have to ask alot of questions. Don't get me wrong, some of the guys know what they are talking about and can give you useful information.
    Most people new to flyfishing probably couldn't tell you the difference between a Loop, Loomis, Sage or any others for that matter.
    I build custom flyrods and have built most of them for people new to flyfishing. I tell them I can build you a very nice custom and personalized rod starting around 175.00 , or you can go to Walmart and buy one for 69.95 and see what you think. I haven't had one go to Walmart yet.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    you might be thinking of something else. As far as i'm concerned, they are in the same bracket as Sage and above most GLoomis products. Loop has plenty rods in the same quality and price range as Sage... maybe even more models than Sage if you're looking for a rod in the $600-700 area. Ive seen that Loop kid's casting demo on youtube. amazing line control.

Default Loop rods ??

Having never heard of Loop rods, I got online and could not find much information on them. The one site I found did not have any information about the company, how long they have been around, the warranty, where the rods are made, or the weight of the rods. Go to Sage, G Loomis, Scott, St Croix, etc... and you will find that they proudly offer that information and more. And in my experience, when a company has something worth bragging about, they do.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

apparently LOOP is coming out with a 11.5 foot 4 wt.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Here you go Dan,

http://www.looptackle.com/website1/s...32/1/index.php

Loop is trying to get into the US market. Joe Roope with Cast-Away Fly shop is the North American Rep. Check out the EVOTec reels, made of the same composit that GLOC's are made of and has the Loop sealed drag system for a very fair price.

George
    George Riddle
    Owner/Operator
    Blueberry Island Lodge
    www.blueberryislandlodge.com

Default Thanks...

Thanks for the link George. Looks like they have a pretty good line up of products. I still did not see any information about the warranty. But I was impressed with the look of what I saw on the site. If Loop is as good as some people seem to think, I am sure I will be hearing more and more about them. Competition is good. Maybe the day will come when we don't have to pay $600 for a premium rod. I would love to see what happened to computers and plasma TVs prices happen to fly rods!
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.