Thread: reaction to noise

Default reaction to noise

The other day while in the house I heard a muted beep. Slightly high pitched, but muted. My 9 year old lab came running and acted upset. Hmm. I looked for the cause but could not find it.
    Since then I have heard the beep a couple of times, but sporadically. It is always muted. The dogs reaction is the same. Let me back up a bit by saying I have never seen this dog afraid of anything. Not ice, slick floors, loud noises, ladders, absolutely nothing. His normal demeanor is very steady. He gets wrapped up about hunting, going for walks with my wife, and playing with me but almost everywhere else is laid back.
    Last night it happened again. The dog starts acting worried. His ears are cocked back, his face is not relaxed, he is panting. He tried climbing up on my sons lap on the couch. He ran to the door like he had to go potty, so I let him out and he stood there. Back in the house he comes.
    I finally traced the noise to a smoke detector in a closed closet under the stairs. I pulled the battery and it beeped softly again. Here he goes.
    I start to work him on obedience. When I get focused by voice, stature, and demeanor the dogs understand the expectations. Last night was different. It took a lot of effort to get him to down and stay.
    After a while I put him next to the boy and made him down and stay there.
    I found this whole deal to be very interesting. This dog is collar trained, but not with sound. He has never been punished or reprimanded with anything like this noise. Again, even though it was a smoke detector, the sound was very muted. In the past month or 2 we have seen symptoms that this male is losing some hearing function. Obviously his hearing in this noise range is perfect.
    It took 15 minutes of me just sitting and watching for him to finally relax and lay his head down. Needless to say, I wil not be fixing smoke detectors with him in the house. Anybody else have this type of problem?

Mark

Yup. Smoke and/or carbon monoxide alarms spook my dogs.

Can't say I blame them; they spook me, too...........

Heck. Give a treat for that.
    I wouldn't try to correct that particular behavior.
    He may very well be the one to jump in bed to wake you during a house fire.
    It's a high pitched tone. It may be muffled to you but it's blasting his ears like a car horn.

You know, I found it to be more interesting than troubling. After more thought, maybe he is able to correlate the muted single beep from a closet to an alarm caused by smoke in the kitchen. Who knows? Dogs can do some amazing things, and when we look back in depth, often find the keys to behavior.
    The other thing I keep thinking about is the trauma he went through earlier this summer when we almost lost him. When I got him into the vet, his temperature was 109.5. Honest. That is all another story though. He was extremely stressed through that ordeal. They tried to keep him just under sedation, but he would work out of it screaming. In my mind I am trying to remember if there were any beeping noises in the hospital. I know I do not like the smell of alcohol from experiences as a kid, maybe he heard something that is causing a trigger reaction.
    I just wonder. But knowing that we have the potential for an issue is important. I'll do all I can to protect him from what he went through last night. Another point is that this response was not db related. A detector alarms at over 85db and some go higher. This beep was similar to your watch beeping (once) while under a pillow while you are in the bathroom. And the beep from the microwave does not cause any reaction.