Thread: Honda ES vs. S models

Default Honda ES vs. S models

What are some advantages or disadvantages of the electric shift vs. the standard shift on various Honda models? Is it worth the extra $300 for the ES?
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Thumbs up ES Two Thumbs Up

My wife rides an 01 Rancher ES with almost 1000 miles or so. I have logged the majority of those miles since my wife hasnt been able to ride for the past year and a half. The electric shift is an ingenious feature I find on these Honda's and I couldnt imagine shifting with my foot ever again.

In my opinion the ES allows you to shift much faster. The loss of momentum between gears insist as noticable with the ES, after you have adjusted to shifting with your left thumb rather than your left foot. For me this helps while climbing hills, playing in mud, and plowing through snow.

The ES keeps your foot dry. Plain and simple.

If, for some unknown reason, the ES goes out on the trail Honda provides a backup gear shifting handle that attaches right onto the engine above the left floor board. Eventhough the ES has never failed me its nice to know there is a backup just incase the ES goes south. With the ES I have only been caught between gears once that I can recall.

On the older Ranchers the ES also comes with a nice LCD pod gauge that shows your mph, milage, time, and distance traveled. The S models have the old 300 style pod, on light, nuetral, and temp light. The newer models might have changed this but I dont know for sure.

Water and mud has not effected the quality of my ES either. Its a great feature that has took up against some tough beatings. And the ones that know me and ride with me know I ride these machines like a maniac.

Water Gremlin,
    This backup gear shifting mechanism...does it come with the machine, or do you have to get it after-market?
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Thumbs up ES

We also ride ES machines, my Foreman and my wifes Rancher. We love them both and like WG, i can't see riding a foot shifter model ever again. I've ridden in rain and snow and I've never had a problem with the ES system. There are so many advantages to the ES over the S it ain't even funny. The back up foot lever comes standard with all ES models, it's kept in the tool box on the back of the machine.

I gotta go with these guys, the ES is worth it. You get the full floorboards, and you don't have to wonder what else is down there by your shifter.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.