Thread: Guns you have had stolen

Default Guns you have had stolen

I have noticed a few stories about gun thefts on a few forums.
    I get ticked every time....

I once had a few stolen from Navy Housing at Newport Rhode Island back in 1980. The base cops did not realy care because the suspect was non-military and the local Newport cops only wondered why I thought I needed to have any guns at all..... ...

I just ran actross a chunk of paper last night the reminded me of one of them.

A older Model 29, 44 mag S&W Blued with a 6.5 inch barrel with serial number S193532

stolen around January 1980 while I was deployed on a NATO cruise to the North Sea.
    It still torques me off....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Mark

Question:

Has anyone had any firearms stolen which where in a heavy, fireproof gun safe (>750 lbs)?

Default None

...but I'm knocking on wood as I reply.

I do have and use a heavy fire-proof gun safe that is bolted into concrete, as well as other measures...good question Mark.

I just don't generally trust homo sapien.

Default stolen guns

Our families guns were stolen a long time ago. I still have the complete list with model, s/n, markings, etc. and look from time to time at gun shows et al. I figure even 35 years later if I find them they are mine.
    Rem 721 .270 w/texan scope
    Sringfield 30-06 sporterized
    Rem 17 12 ga
    Ruger 10-22
    Stevens .410 o/u
    Stevens .22/.410 o/u
    There were a couple of more that I can't remember off of the top of my head. Years ago I went back to the PD and "refreshed" the claim/case on them. Now that I am thinking about it I better do so again. And yes, I do keep everything in a gun safe now and encourage everybody to buy something to at least slow the theives down.

Default Sore Memories

While I was in college, (Edina, Minnesota) July 1991. My first revolver that I bought at age 19 while stationed in Norfolk, Va., a Ruger super single blue .22 6 1/2" bbl S/N 260-48970, and a S&W 629 classic stainless 6 1/2" bbl 44 mag S/N TJA7105. Both sadly missed.

I could'nt seem to buy the same guns because it would have been sore reminders, and I felt that I would look at them and know I paid twice. I now have a Ruger redhawk 44 mag 5 1/2" bbl and a Ruger Mark I .22 proudly filling the slots.

I still have the extra cylinder in 22 mag. for the Ruger super single.

In my case they had months to steal my stuff. My first wife (the idiot) told the low-life wife of another guy on my ship that she was leaving for a few mnths while I was overseas. Then gave her the key to our Navy housing unit for reasons never explained.

Her civilian brother got out of jail and decided to use my place as a party pad. He and his dirtbag buddies somehow got into the housing area which only had a 4 foot high fence and many open man-gates.
    Besides my guns he also stole and wrecked two cars and stole everything in the place he could lay his hands upon.

The only thing the local city cops would ever say was that this criminal better not have any accidents or I would got to jail. Apparently as an actve duty salior from Alaska , I ranked under the local criminals.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Thankfully I have not, nor anyone that I know has. Ive had my cars broken into many times though. Usually the damage done was more costly than what they took.

Ive noticed lots of stolen threads on the net too. Ive really been eyballing some of those cheaper safes at sportsmans but will probably try to save up a couple of grand for a good one.

Right now, i custom built a gun safe out of a Knack construction box. Ugly but I feel they are pretty safe for the time being.

its a bummer cops cant spend more time on these sorts of cases. Im always reminded of that scene in "The Big Lebowski" where the dude asks the cop if they have any leads on who stole his car. The cop just starts laughing and say "leads, sure, they got two more detectives on the case, they got us working in shifts!"

Default I have had one stolen while I was home

It was a roommate who was moving out. I kept everything locked up at all times. Just had a bad gut feeling about the guy after he was here for a few weeks. He decided to move out. I had just got home from work or a hunting trip. I told him prior I would give him a ride. Just in a short time, few minutes, he stole the .44mag out of my back pack in my garage which was usually locked but I just got home and was getting ready to leave. Once I got back I had feeling to look things over. Sure enough it was gone. I called the cops. I met them down the road and gave him all the info. I then emailed the bastage. About a week later he responded and said it was a guys house and he would drop it off. I called the cops and they went and got it. It was there and guy there knew something was up. The bastage is gonna be charged with a felony once caught. I called and called the police and got the gun back. I have give it back for evidence if the guy is ever caught. I came across the box the other day it came in from the police. I don't rent to dudes any more.

**** safe won't fit behind the truck seat!

Don't need to tell you how I feel at the momment.

I am in the process of purchacing a 1025lb gun fire safe, and soon to replace my guns. Have a .45 auto on loan and pray I dont see anyone when I come home from work.

I am having nightmares about this and the wife is still on edge. I wish this on NO ONE! Has been a really huge turn in our lives.

NIGHTMARE: I am awoken by a noise, senses alert I hear voices down stairs, I wake up the wife and tell her to call 911. I get the gun, shut the bedrrom door, walk down the hall and stand ready at teh top of the stairs. I see a figure step around the corner, I am at full draw, ready. He/She see's me and I see them pull up on me with a gun, I try to pull the trigger and nothing happens, pulling as hard as I can and still nothing. At that momment my vision goes pure black! And I wake up, heart pounding.

This is just BS! Right now I am going on 39hrs of no sleep and a 10hr work shift with the commute, I am exhuasted! Going to try and go to bed now, but???????

This robbery has really changed our lives, truely. Unreal feelings.

Curt

Default Call us

I'll tell you why I don't keep a loaded gun around. I used to have vivid dreams. One night I was dreaming that someone was coming in my house, into my bedroom. I woke up and still heard them coming slowly, quietly. I got out of bed panicked, did not take time to look under the bed, just ran for the door. I am awake and running full tilt around the bed, knees driving, building speed, my only thought being to hit them before they could get in the room, and scream for my wife to get the door locked.
    At the last second, and I think about this a lot, I heard a small voice say "daddy, I can't sleep". I managed to jump around my then 3 year old son in the dark to keep from hurting him.
    I wake up fast and am alert most of the time. That dream tied directly into reality, and the consequences could have been huge. I only tell you this story to urge you to be cautious. Now, more than ever, a mistake would be devastating.

Call any of us. We'll all talk. I will send you a PM with my contact info on it. I can't fix it, but by golly I can listen.

Default stolen gun

Had a S&W .22 Kit Gun stolen in the early 80's. A couple of years later a cop friend of mine called me and said my gun turned up. I asked where. He sid it was recovered during a drug raid in Bogata, Columbia! From my house in Kenai to Columbia. If that gun could talk.

I had a M-94 Winchester stolen from my residence when I was stationed in Commiefornia. DOD police were less than helpful.
    Now what ?

Default Don't depend on Cops

I had a 44 Blackhawk stolen and knew who done it because he pawned it under his name. APD told me after keeping it and all the other stuff he took for a year that maybe he got it from a friend of his who stole it.
    I had a 25 Honda stolen, found it last summer, followed the guys for 4 hours waiting for APD to come help me. They said get the truck licence number and they would track them down, HA Ha Ha. I saw a cop driving by flagged him down and forced the issue. He told me to take it off the boat, and off I went with it.
    They don't do a good job at the APD auctions of checking for stollen Serial Number either.
    So do your own police work.

The cops did a bang up job getting my two neices the other day. Some lady at a store said they had shoplifted some items. The ladies husband follows them to my sister in laws, moments later 5, yes 5 cops show up to aprehend 2 16 year old girls. A full search of bags, persons and vehicle turned up no stolen items.

In a way im glad they were serious about catching some perps for once, but seemed a little overkill. One of the cops even grabbed my nephew who was in the house the whole time! My nephew says "what do you think I am a perpatrator?" the cop says "well you could be". My nephew relplies "uhhh, suspects are two white females" HAHA I had a good laugh at that one.

Default 3 pistols stolen 10 years ago

We lived in an apartment that didn't rent to the best clientele always back in upstate NY. We had a major storm come through and being a volunteer fireman I was at the station so I dropped my wife and daughter off at her mom's house. We came back and found a dresser drawer open that had the pistols in it. I didn't have a safe then, more pressing needs for the money!!! Right as we got home the punks across the way took off out there pretty quick, that should have been a sign but after more than a few rescue calls that day I wasn't in the right frame of mind.

We noticed the pistols stolen and put two and two together pretty quick and was able to give the cops a description of the truck. Needless to say we didn't sleep too good that night, they had destroyed the deadbolt and knob. They took the pistols, some of the wife's jewelry and what burns me most was they also took a piggy bank that belonged to my 1 yr old daughter. Around midnight that night there's a knock on the door, two of the idiots came back and wanted to return two of them. Well they hadn't took my mossberg and I was on one side of the door loaded up and they were on the other. My wife was on the phone with 911 and they just stayed there talking and pleading. The dispatcher really got me, my wife told her I had a shotgun and she demanded to talk to me. She wanted me to put the gun away!! I had a few kind words for her and gave the wife the phone back. All through all of this the two stayed put pleading their case.

As it turned out the police recovered two of the three. The only one missing is a Colt Combat Government Model, series 70, polished blue, Ahrends half checkered rosewood grips, dlask arms match trigger, wilson match barrel and bushing. The other two an old single six and a vaquero 44 were recovered. Three punks were charged even though the girl next door who drove the "getaway" truck wasn't.

The NYS Troopers were excellent throughout all of this as well as the local judge. The ATF agents I contacted were all excellent as well. The county prosecutor on the other hand was a lying no good *%&^. He wanted me to accept a plea bargain. All three had records a lot longer than they had been alive. they charged them with burg 3rd and possession of stolen property. I accepted the plea bargain on one condition and that was that he send a letter to the ATF SAC to have federal weapon charges pressed. The arresting officer, the investigator and the local judge all agreed to it and gave me their letters. He said he would send it and lo and behold a politician didn't keep his promise.

My main point in all this is that I got a safe a few days later and have had one ever since. Also if you are an NRA member their Armscare insurance is great. I submitted my claim and since I customized the pistol myself they accepted the Brownells invoice for all the parts and added that to the price I paid for the gun. Hats off to the Brownells folk as they looked up the invoice (it was a couple of years before that) and faxed it right off to me and the insurance company. The basic Armscare is $1000 in coverage and free to members. Like I said it was painless, I've never dealt with an insurance company so smoothly, I had a check within a month.

When stationed at Nellis AFB in Las Vegas, was told by base personnel that if I lived downtown I had to register any pistols I had. So to be legal I registered my Ruger in .45 Long Colt. Four years later in Glendale Arizonia that gun was stolen from my house. Local police did an investigating and made a report. Seven months later when I came home, Glendale police were waiting for me, arrested me and took me down town for booking. They were holding me for extradition to Nevada, on a murder charge. Seems the gun I had stolen from me in Glendale found it's way to Las Vegas, and was used in a murder that day. The gun was left beside the body, and since it was registered to me they went to the Air Force for my location. Then requested Glendale arrest me when I returned home. Fortunately I had proof that I had not been to Las Vegas, and was on duty at Luke AFB when the person was murdered. Was told after all of the investigations were concluded I would get the gun back. Case has never been solved, I have never seen the gun again.

In 1996 while hunting behind Eielson AFB in Alaska, someone stole a Ruger Mini-14 off my snow machine, while I was retriving shot ptarmigan. I chased this person for about 8 miles, but was unable to catch them. The last time I saw them they were shooting it out on the flood plain. When they saw me they went over the dyke and I never seen them again. I made a report to the Troopers. Every couple of years I get a form asking if I have found the gun or if it is still missing. I always send it back saying it is still missing. Then this last September I recieved a call from the Troopers asking if the gun was still missing. I told them yes, the trooper then told me it had been located. I asked where, was told the gun was in Virginia. The Trooper then told me ATF was doing an audit on a gun store in Hampton Virginia. When they run the numbers of the guns on the shelves they had a hit on a Ruger Mini-14 as being stolen. ATF checked with the Alaska Troopers and found it was the same gun. Seems the gun had been bought and sold three differant times. The latest owner had just left it there on consignment to be sold while he was serving in the big sand box. The person who had originally sold it to the gun store is currently in jail awaiting trail, the Trooper said this is just more fuel for the fire for charges against him. Troopers told me they were requesting the gun be returned to Alaska, then they would give it back to me. I'm still waiting.

These are the only two guns I have ever had stolen, and I will never register another gun period.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Default Merry Christmas...after two years!

A little over two years ago I had my pistol stolen out of my truck while it was parked at my shop. Heck, I'm still quite suspicious that it was stolen by the son of one of my former employess...no proof so didn't press the issue, even after he was put in drug/alcohol detox program. Not that it mattered...

The pistol was stolen in October of 2005 and recovered four months later. It has been sitting at the evidence room for almost two years...a letter from the municipality says that it was recovered while busting a couple of underachievers for stealing a car--surprise! Since that time it has been retained as evidence. I have an appointment to go pick it up next Thursday. BUT, now I have to go by and pass a weapons clearance program to make sure that I can still legally possess the weapon that was stolen from me. Their point is understood but ironic--the perps didn't need a background check to possess my pistol but I need one to get it back...

So, besides all of my *****ing, I am one of the few who is going to receive their stolen firearm this year. There is no telling what kind of weapons maintenance program is in place at APD but I'm hoping that they at least took the time to shoot some oil inside and outside of the pistol to at least keep it from rusting. Here's to hoping!

Happy New Year one and all, may justice be served and may you receive that which is rightfully yours.

IceKing02

Default Part One

The wife and I were trying to help out a pair of brothers that were friends of our son's. They stayed with us for a while, but wouldn't follow even the most basic of house rules. Some time latter they broke into our home (a duplex at the time...important for part two). My guns were in a large Browning safe, but the wife's bedroom gun was in a small safe; they just took the entire safe with them.

The cops were always just a step behind the gun as it changed hands countless times. They were very informative and kept us up to date on what was happening.

They recovered the gun. I'd had it engraved/inscribed, so when the gun hit the evidence room the gal knew it was a special gun. They called us right away and we picked it up without any problems. The insurance company had issued us a check but we hadn't cashed it yet, so just gave the check back.

Some of the screws were dinged, but the gun was otherwise OK. I called S&W about having them check the gun out and replacing the damaged screws and they said $$$$$$$ just to look at it.

The safe also had a set of key for her new car. $$$ to have the car rekeyed.

Kids went to court. We showed up at every hearing...even when the kids didn't show up. They were ordered to pay us for the damages and we got a check ($5, $10, or $20) every month for several years as they paid it off.

Default Part Two

Soon after we had filed a report, the cops called us and said they'd recovered our Ruger. We hadn't lost a Ruger, we wanted our S&W Ladysmith back. They kept trying to give us the Ruger.

Months later I was talking to the guy that lived in the other half of the duplex and he mentioned having his Ruger that his dad had given him stolen; really missed the gun, etc. Light comes on. I tell him the cops have it and to get in touch with them. He doesn't know the S/N, so drops it.

YEARS later, both parties have moved, I get a call from the cops. They are cleaning out the evidence locker and they have my Ruger. "I'll be right down." I call the guy up and tell him I have the gun his father gave him. I have him sign a form that it's his gun, etc. I think this guy must be happy to get back a gift from his dad. He tells me he never really liked the gun. I feel like I wasted my time. Ho Hum.