Thread: Mud riding around fairbanks???

Default Mud riding around fairbanks???

Just curious on if anyone knows of some good mud riding trails good for a day or so of riding around fbnks. Some pretty hard riding would be nice as well as some trails that the wives with stock wheelers could tackle- thanks

Default where to ride

Take a look up Chen Hot Springs Rd. (CHSR)
    I did the Colorado creek trail last year (almost 6 miles) and with 5 quads took us 6 hours. Was some deep mud, alot of winiching and rained most of the time out there. Granted there are times it could be easy and dry but I doubt right now anyhow. Delta has some good mud, and a few trails on Eielson if you can come visit on base.

yeah im stationed on base, theres a few of us that like to go out and abuse our wheelers but i just got mine so i haven't done alot of scouting yet.

Default Johnson Road

There's some good trails off of Grieme & Johnson Roads in Salcha. The dog mushers use them in the winter, but nobody's on them in the summer.

For mud go off of Grieme - have a winch and a buddy though...you'll hit some real good swamp in some areas, but it's a ton of fun.

For dryer riding you can take the trails off of Johnson Road, if you go to the end you can get a RUG (something User Guidelines) from the Security folks at Pumpstation 8 and then ride along the pipeline to the Salcha River. If you're military, you can call the Army for access, and ride the Brigadier area off the end of Johnson Road...it hooks up to Manchu on Eielson eventually, but may be barricaded off now.

Like 700efi said the colorado creek trail out chs road is a good one plus you can take the styles creek trail up the ridge for some casual trail crusin and come out at the shooting range.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Thumbs up The McKay Creek Trail...

has loads of goop. Its about 45 miles from Fairbanks up the Steese. A fun trip--with a few birds (Grouse) to boot too if you pop the gun boot on in August.

fk

Talking Fairbanks MudRide

Sounds to me like we need to get a Fairbanks mud ride organized!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Bear in mind that the Mckay Creek trail is part of the BLM White Mountains system and if you abuse the trails too much they will ban us from using those trails. There have been several meetings about that very subject. I'd really hate to see that taken away from us. If it is only mud you are interested in check out the Tanana river mud off South Cushman past the rifle range.

The only problem with that Tanana mud is that it's silt and it gets past every seal you've got and grinds up your bearings. There are lots of trails with good mud holes around. The one up off the Elliot at about 25 mile before you get to Wickersham dome is a good one to. I can't remember the name of it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd
    Sounds to me like we need to get a Fairbanks mud ride organized!

Thats the TRUTH!!! I'm still waiting for all my stuff...tires, module, clutch kit etc to come in and hopefully get it all on this coming weekend so maybe aug 5th or 6th. Dont get me wrong i'd go anytime though, just dont want to be more of a hinder with stock tires

ATVfrontier.com started as an Alaska based site. I use them alot. I have set up a few rides from there with local guys to ride around. Great on advice of all kinds as well.

But Salcha is fun, ride with a few from down that way from time to time in winter and summer. Takes alot of time, gas, axe/chainsaw work but is fun with a group of about 5-6 for a long day or a night or two...

Ya I know Weasel and Silvertip Griz over at atvfrontier. In fact silver and I are going sheep hunting in a few weeks.