Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How important is camo?

Default How important is camo?

So, nowadays everything for the hunter comes in camo from clothes to guns to atv's, GPS's, binos, scopes, spotters, rangefinders, knives and all that other little stuff that you wish was florescent orange because when you sat it down you never could find it again! Heck, they probably even make camo TP!

You'd think by looking at all this stuff that it's a miracle hunters like my grandad ever even got a shot at a deer or a duck!

So what's your opinion on all this camo garb? Specifically clothing? I think in some cases it can be a help but even then usually because as a hunter you made a mistake like didn't stay in the brush and walked in to the open, or just plain moved when you needed to be absolutely still.

For years I still hunted for whitetail and muleys in the mountains of Montana with green wool pants, a bright orange jacket and a red plad Elmer Fud hat. I shot my share of deer at less than 100 yards and had many walk right be me. Even had a few almost run me over and had to actually jump out of the way!! For duck hunting anything gray or tan worked just fine. I've plucked lots of ducks too.

So, is it worth the extra 500 bucks for the camo Rhino that you can't find in the brush! (I'll take a bright red one thank you and spend the 5 bills on some good tires!) Or the extra 20 bucks for the camo rangefinder or knife that you'll never find if you ever set it down!

Or how about the extra 50 bucks for the camo sporthill pants instead of the black ones?!

Just a few ramblings.....
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I have my share of camo but so far I haven't noticed a difference with big game. I do try to wear differnt colors if I am not wearing camo like black sporthill pants and a different colored top with my pack and a different hat.

The one thing I think camo does for you is it keeps a solid pattern from being so visible when moving.

I buy the camo though. I won't spend the money on camo tools though like knives, GPS or flash lights etc. Thats a waste.

Sometimes I think the best thing to wear in the fall when moose hunting is bright yellow. It makes you pretty hard to find.

Just my take

It's not near as important as the camo companies want you to believe. Holding still is more important in my opinion.

Default My take on camo

For things like turkeys it helps to break up your outline.
    However for most its mainly movement in my experience is what the animal will pick up. When it comes to me buying stuff for hunting in Alaska if it comes in camo for no additional cost then great if it looks good however if it costs more forget it. I'll take the standard black or grey whatever. Especially for things like GPSs, hunting knives (Orange Cutco Handle), and what not I especially don't want camo cause you set them down somewhere, good luck finding it. Just my .02

Default You must match

It is very important to match. If your top pattern does not match you bottom then you need lessons from the wife. Fall Apparition should never be worn with something like Spring Predator. And Skyline winter camouflage just does not go with camouflage Blaze Orange.

But seriously now, most patterns are too fine and turn into a blob when seen from more than 30 yards. A wide open pattern of darks, greys and whites is much better. The old wool coats worn by New England hunters of red and black, or black and green still work fine.

The key is not clothing - it is movement.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

It looks cool when your loading up in town
    Tim

Default I beleive camo is important

to a certain point....Breaking up your outlines to look like nature is the whole idea. Kritters know what belongs and what doesn't.

But more important than camo is the scent, the lack of...That is! One wiff of a unfamiluar odor and all the camo in the world won't help you.

Default Looking like a tree from down south

A lot of us were successfully hunting long before there was camo anything. The problem that I have found, it is difficult to find some of the quiet clothing in anything other than camo. Then at the same time I have yet to find double or tripple layer gorte-tex in camo. I'm waiting for someone to come out with a camo that changes to what ever background you might happen to walk across, then I'd be impressed.

As for camo ATV's. I use a red atv and haven't lost it yet and moose don't seem to care what color I'm riding. For knives, bino and other item that I use, well, I avoid camo.

Alaska-lanche- You don't have to worry about losing the GPS if you just leave it in the truck...
    I bought a cheaper set of "waterproof" pants that actually have done well at keeping me dry busting brush looking for bullwinkle. I got a deal on them cause they had this UGLY red orange camp pattern. I bought them cause they were cheap and looked decent. Turns out the old burn I hunt is a dead match for the pants in the late part of the season. Of course I didn't get a moose so they can't be that great...

Most of my hunting stuff is surplus BDU's only come in camo. And I agree with big game it's mainly movement that tips them off. Dose make it easier to pick out non residents and folks with too much money on there hands though.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I wear a lot of camo, simply because the wife buys it for me. In fact if you look in my closet, most of my jeans are camo, most of my shirts are camo, even my boots that I have bought in the last few years have been camo. Therefore I wear camo, all the time not just hunting.

As for camo gps, binoculers, and guns, no way. I've lost too many flashlites, and fanny packs, by dropping them at night and not being able to find them.

the camo gear isn't for the animals outside, it's for the female one in your house. ya throw the camo gear all over in one room and you can add to it constantly and she can't tell it's growing.

Default True

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Alaska-lanche- You don't have to worry about losing the GPS if you just leave it in the truck....
    Thats why I have any camo on my truck.

Default Blaze Orange

Any small gear (knives, GPS, radio, drag rope, etc) that I can get in blaze orange is what I buy. I've already lost enough gear so camo isn't in the mix.

As far as clothing is concerned, I hunt in the east and have lots of blaze orange camo. It works great if you don't move. The western states that I hunt in require blaze orange. Not necessary in Alaska but it answers the question of how important camo clothing is in stalking bullwinkle.

I love camo and wish that it was sold in EVERY store.

I will never credit camo for finding game, but, I will credit it for escaping potential lunatics with guns.

I'd rather wear camo than brown Carharts... cause, "hunters" like to shoot at brown things.

I'd rather wear camo than than blaze orange ... cause "antis" like to shoot at hunters.

Our world is full of the ridiculous. Escaping it is almost as fun as hunting sometimes.

I not only believe in camo, I trust it. - I just wish there was more for sale.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Talking

What's far more important than camo, is timing your movement, being aware of the air movement and keeping silent. One other thing, some lunitic hunters also like to shoot at "movement", so camo could possibly enhance that, especially in dense cover.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Default Camo ideas

I like camouflage patterns with both large color blocks and detail over the top of that. Breaks up your outline at a distance, and helps up close too. I don't know how it looks to an animal, but it gives me more confidence in the bush, and perhaps that makes me hunt better.

Some articles have been written on the u/v glare of certain fabric types, and perhaps we should be concerned about that too.

As to patterns for Alaska, I prefer patterns on the gray or brown end of the scale. Green is mostly useless in the places I hunt, though it would probably be a top contender in Southeast Alaska.

In summary I'd say it's worth a look. It doesn't make up for poor hunting tactics (moving around too much, for example), but it is one more tool that could give you the edge.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

You guys have got the reason all wrong. You wear camo for when the wife comes looking for you. See attachement.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Now

Now all you need if for Budwiser to make a camouflaged beer and ya would be all set.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Maydog View Post
    One other thing, some lunitic hunters also like to shoot at "movement", so camo could possibly enhance that, especially in dense cover.
    That is why I wear camo most of the hunters that shoot at movement are not good in the woods and I will see them early enough to either hide or move out of the area before they start blasting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast