Thread: It don't make sense!!

Default It don't make sense!!

I had my behind the seat rifle stolen a year ago and never replaced it.

A couple of days ago I picked up a Stevens 200 in 223 with a Tasco 3x9x40 already mounted. The whole outfit was brand splinter new and only cost me $275.

Heres the part that don't make sense. I have owned rifles with Shilen,Hart,Lija,McGowen etc etc barrels. I have had rifles with the actions blueprinted and have payed $500 just for top of the line super duper quality stocks. I have spent a grand on scope and mounts alone.......and for a measley $275 I have a rifle that will shoot right with the best of them.

All I did was mess with the trigger a little and the little gun clover leafed the first 3 shots @ 100 yds! The next group was larger at 3/8ths of an inch!

Dang it...now I gotta start locking the truck!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I reckon, ever ole dawg has e's day.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Actually I out shoot guys with high end rifles with my pawn shop special regularly even new this was not a upper end gun! Thing is my friends with high end guns shoot tighter groups with it too. Oh sorry its a savage tactical in 300 win/mag with a 3-9 X 40 Leopold. I payed $275 for it and added the scope when the one that came with it lost it's seal and started fogging out.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I have the same rifle with a Burris FF2 3-9 on top as my coyote killer. It's a cheap rifle but the accuracy has far exceeded my expectations. Those dogs are in for a world of hurt this winter. That's if I can call them in.

Ugly as sin but a real tack driver ain't it Gremlin. Dose yours have the heavy barrel? I've seen them with a standard tapered barrel and they don't preform as well.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Talking Low end?

Do you think that it's an exception or generally, they're all shooters, but we just don't give them much of a look? Look at the Rem 788's and savage 110's...they seem to be tremendous grouping rifles. It might be ironic, but some of our first rifles, may be as good of shooters as we've ever had? So on a good day, Sonny Boy, maybe able to out shoot Dad, on a great day? Don't ya love it?
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

I've got a light little stainless Savage (112?) 223, lefthanded and synthetic stock. Not much money in it at all compared to any other brand, but it shoots with the best. When new I never found a factory load that wouldn't bust an inch in the little thing, and most would bust half an inch. I worked up handloads with any bullet that was on sale, and broke half an inch with all of those, too. It's seen a whole bunch of use in the soutwest for prairy dogs, and by the log book I can document well over 10,000 rounds through it. Even now, it still busts an inch with good handloads. The hard decision now is whether to rebarrel it right back to 223 or simply buy an identical replacement rifle and rebarrel this one to a wildcat on the 223 case.

Default ya it do!

I got razzed on this site for buying a "cheap" new savage in 338 win mag, it was dropping the "detachable mag", turns out it was broke , savage sent me a new one..no hastle. Was told you buy a cheap rifle and you get what you pay for...they were right..darn thing is not shooting anything smaller then 1/2 inch groups at the 100 yard targets! Im sure I am an excellent marksmen so it couldn't be me. I was told I could beat on it..and I have, guess you don't do that to an expensive gun..would I buy another one..YOU BETTCHA!..Desertdog

I am guilty of spending to much money on fancy rifles. But the 4-5 Savages I have owned out shot them all. I still own one and it shoots under MOA but dang I gotta look at it every time I use it!
    Tennessee

I buy a rifle stock out of the box, stick a scope on it that I want, sight it in and be very happy with it. And I shoot factory ammo, and I haven't been without eating meat or have a fresh pelt to sell.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

I have the 2 flavors also. Ugly shooters and Good shooters. Sometimes I feel stupid for having a 1k gun that shoots the same as my 400 dollar gun. But, they both make me happy! Right now I got 2 sets of those. My ruger 10/22 mag converted to 17 hmr shoots the same if not a little better than my Volquartsen Fusion 17hmr. My rem 788 shoots the same as my heavy bull AR.

Couple of sleepers Ive noticed lately are the saigas, russian "sporting rifles" wich are nothing more than a goofy looking AK-74. Them suckers shoot!

Savage 99's are whizbangers too. Course this may not be news to anyone but me.

And from watching a buddy of mine shoot a bunch of old WWII relics from various countries im a believer in some of them.

But again, I still enjoy having a few pieces of expensive good shooting eyecandy around.

You have discovered what many Savage owners have known for a long time. Savages (stevens) are renowned for having the best out-of-the-box accuracy of ANY mass produced rifle. The reason people don't like them is because of the "ugly" barrel nut. Here's another secret. That barrel nut is a huge benefit if you would like to have one rifle with multiple calibers/barrels. The barrels are easily removed, replaced, swapped and headspaced without the services of a gunsmith. I believe that a Savage recently set a record in 600yd benchrest competition. More than you thought you ever wanted to know about Savage/Stevens rifles can be found over at www.savageshooters.com

Savage makes good rifles but I think Remington 700 is better and more solid. Sometimes I see Savage rifles with a loose lock ring or some doodad connected to the bolt. I don't know what is going on but it scares me. I was about to spend a lot of dough on a custom rifle until I checked out the Rem. 700 BDL in 300 Win Mag. I got everything I needed for less than $800 with sights on the barrel and accuracy is unbelieveable. I have had times when I put two bullets through the same hole at 100 yards. Sub MOA at 200 yards. I would feel foolish spending thousands on a rifle when I can get something like this for much, much less.

I have been looking at the .223 and it may just fit my varmint hunting needs but that thing should come with a paper bag for a gun case cause it is UGLY!

The stock is the ugly part and it has little sharp ridges around the mold lines. I dressed these ridges up with my pocket knife. Its kinda slickery too! I think I'll spray it with bed liner or trunk paint or something and then paint the whole thing flat white.

As far as a $800 Remington being better than a $247 Savage (minus the scope)....I have a 308 rifle that is built on a Dakota action and sports a Lija match grade barrel. It has a McMillen stock and wears a Leupold 4x16 vxIII scope. Grand total $3000+ and the bare hard fact remains that it will not out shoot the turd Savage! But then how do you out shoot a clover leaf 1/4 inch group with anything? Perhaps the Remington is better than the Savage but in what respect? Trade in value?

Some of the other forums are singing the same type praises about the Mossberg 100 ATR. I ordered one today in 243 and including shipping it will cost $245. I almost hope I can't hit a fat cow in the @$$ with it. I worked long and hard on my Dakota rifle and burned even more time developing loads that would maximize its potential. The thought of being shown up twice by clunkers shooting dime store ammo is a little unnerving to say the least!

I love the accuracy of my Savage 110, 30:06. My friend for many years used to show me up with his down in Wisconsin. After moving here I decided to get one and had a new barrel put on it with sights and I am using a scope mount where I can use the iron sights. I got the iron sights working great and the scope end just about covers the view but if needed open sites can be used.
    I got one problem though. All ammo I have used catches the tip of the bullet into the edge of the chamber periodically and I get a jam. When the barrel was re chambered did they not bevel the barrel enough or is this a regular problem and only certain ammo can be used? I figure if the chamber was chamfered the bullet tip would hit the bevel and then go into the hole instead of driving into the sharp barrel edge and sticking or slicing a small piece off of the tip.
    The gunsmith I used is in Seward and along ways away so to just take it back to him would be a big expense for something I may be able to get done cheap when I go back to town(Anch.)
    I am about to get a Rem. 700 DBL if I do not figure this out.
    I like the idea of a tool that is not so expensive that if something scratches it, I do not feel like crying!
    Robert