Thread: Diesel Surface Drive

Default Diesel Surface Drive

I sure wish I didn't have to wait until May to test this dream. For those of you that ask WHY? I make long trips on the Yukon and there is no place to refuel. I'm shooting for mileage. Take a look at my BLOG if you are interested in pictures.
    stu
    http://godevilalaska.wordpress.com/

Nice!

With the price of fuel these days, nobody has to ask why.

I've been wanting to get one of the single cylinder 8 horse chinese diesels, but they only seem to export them to canada and I didn't want to pay UPS shipping. I figure a small diesel on a freighter would be an interesting setup.

Hi Stu ..

that new Deisel looks great , Ken L. said you had it togather I can't wait to hear how it works out for you in May .. winter is going by been thinking about a up-grade myself stu from the 25-long tail to a surface drive ?? I may try and sell the longtail off and up-grade.. got any in stock ?? Tom Griffith

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy123 View Post
    Hi Stu ..

that new Deisel looks great , Ken L. said you had it togather I can't wait to hear how it works out for you in May .. winter is going by been thinking about a up-grade myself stu from the 25-long tail to a surface drive ?? I may try and sell the longtail off and up-grade.. got any in stock ?? Tom Griffith
    Yup, and I'll have more in the spring.

Now that is neat! Great job, can't wait to hear how it performs. I don't know if I could wait, go run her in the Chena or clear water! Well, maybe after it warms up a bit.

Why did you go with a CVT setup instead of fixed ratio? Why don't the other motors have a CVT?

So do you think GD will look at putting those into production?

Default CVT rational

Quote Originally Posted by kgrant View Post
    Now that is neat! Great job, can't wait to hear how it performs. I don't know if I could wait, go run her in the Chena or clear water! Well, maybe after it warms up a bit.

Why did you go with a CVT setup instead of fixed ratio? Why don't the other motors have a CVT?

So do you think GD will look at putting those into production?
    kgrant,
    The fixed ratio is 1.4 to 1 all the time. The performance with the larger surface piercing props is great, but I hypothesized more torque (high ratio) at low prop rpm, with it fully submerged, would give it great hole shot. At higher rpm, when the prop is surfacing, the boat hopefully will be on step and the prop won't require as much torque to spin up. The ratio at engagement (1200 rpm) is 3.25 to 1 to effectively triple engine torque. If the diesel has the power to spin up to 3500 rpm the ratio will be .85 to one or overdrive. I had a car once that only had second gear. It was drivable, but seemed to run better when 1st and 3rd were fixed.
    I can't tell you why the other motors don't have CVT's. Maybe they tried them and they didn't work. That may happen here, but man, the trip has been fun. I have been coordinating with GoDevil on this for 3 years and if it works it will be easy to transfer the technology to the 35 surface drive. Warren Coco, the owner of GoDevil, will have to be convinced it is worth the added cost and more importantly, he insists on reliability.
    The question of production will have to wait and see.

Man that thing should have alot of torque in the bogs and muck...I bet it will run alot quieter too.

Nice...Very nice.

...all I can think of is that joke about "deezle fit 'er", Stu!

Kin ah drive it?

Default Interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Nice!

With the price of fuel these days, nobody has to ask why.

I've been wanting to get one of the single cylinder 8 horse chinese diesels, but they only seem to export them to canada and I didn't want to pay UPS shipping. I figure a small diesel on a freighter would be an interesting setup.
    Chinese diesels? Do you have any information on them that you can share? I'm always over in China (I am now in fact), and may be able to haul one back on one of my trips.

Default Ready for water

I've finished the diesel surface drive and just need some open water to check it out. It's too heavy and doesn't have enough hp, but man, has it been fun to do. If you are interested in the details check my blog at: http://godevilalaska.wordpress.com/
    Propgrinder,
    You can drive it if it doesn't sink my boat. Find me some open water!!!!

Default way cool stu

Stu,

Congrats on getting 'er done! Will be fun to test it out and see how it performs. If this mild winter keeps up, who knows...you may have a lot of open water early on this spring.
    Happy New Year!

Talking DSD

Mark,
    If it works, I figure I'll be able to go from Eagle to your place on about ten gallons.
    stu