Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Cost of Sheep hunts...

Default The Cost of Sheep hunts...

Perhaps you guys have forgotten economics 101 supply and demand dictate price, in this case supply is low and demand is high therefore the price of a sheep hunt if you live out of state is high. It is not that guides are greedy, they just charge what the market will bear. Its called capitalism.

Maybe you guys who are residents should be thankful you can hunt sheep for less then $100 if you are willing to work very hard, even less if you get really lucky. If sheep hunts for non residents didn't cost a second mortgage imagine how hard it would be to draw a permit, or how hard it would be to even find a "harvest" area.

Just a though, now back to your regularly scheduled guide/ AKPM flaming
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

yeah another thread discussing nonresident sheep hunting. Just in time too I almost saw another subject make the front page...

I've never had a hunt that costs under a hundred bucks! Gas and grub alone costs more than that. ....CK

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Perhaps you guys have forgotten economics 101 supply and demand dictate price, in this case supply is low and demand is high therefore the price of a sheep hunt if you live out of state is high. It is not that guides are greedy, they just charge what the market will bear. Its called capitalism.
    Economics 101; ok. So what you are saying is the public is not getting a market price for the product.

If the owners of the resource got proactive and changed the economics it would be what?

Anti-capitalism? Picking on guides? Discriminating?

Capitalism is taking advantage of a situation; and making every effort to get all you can while you can.

Are you saying that Guides are kicking back the "excess"; conserving the resource, not increasing the "take"?

It sounds like your saying Guides are in it for the money; capitalist to the core.

Maybe you guys who are residents should be thankful you can hunt sheep for less then $100 if you are willing to work very hard, even less if you get really lucky.
    Thankful; yes. It is cheaper for a resident to hunt than a nonresident. Thats kind of normal actually. Are you saying that is good enough.

Surely you don't think that residents should not be concerned about things like annual restrictions being imposed that includes new annual limits, draws, shorter seasons and restrictions of various kinds attributed to decreased populations, less opportunity.............no matter if it is sheep, caribou, moose.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    I've never had a hunt that costs under a hundred bucks! Gas and grub alone costs more than that. ....CK
    I've killed a ram for under $100. Started the hike 5 miles from my house, only out 1 night.

(Yes, I know that is the exception and not the rule, but it's still fun to have pulled it off so inexpensively!)

Must be nice to have sheep that close to the house. No fly in either. You could almost do day pack hunts with a sandwich and drink and have your base camp right in the front yard...nice!, and yes you are the exception, unlike most of us...you should have a wall full of Ovis Dalli ......CK

Well, not a wall full yet. That was a drawing permit that I've only had once. But...February is coming soon, perhaps lightning will strike twice?

Brian i am also awaiting the results of the winter draw. But with less sheep permits and more non-residents putting in. 7 out of 13 permits were non residents in the area i put in for last year. Chances are we will be watching from the side lines as the guides take their client to the sheep.

It is totally an economic circumstance. I had one hunter tell me that he "heard" Dalls were going to reach 60K!

I laughed, and, forwarded his information to COtoAK.

This guy wants his grand slam, and, 10K is bargain basement.

There are hunters and there are sportsmen and there is subsistence too.

What is that piece of meat really worth? Everyone has their opinion.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Default $100

Got to be kidding me. If I climbed up over Thompson Pass naked with a hand made spear, yea. And it would still cost around $100. Cause the ticket for running around naked would be $75 or more.

But throw in the cost of food, hunting impliment, clothes, license, tags, gear....NO way. Just a tank of diesel for the truck is $150.

One of the most annoying statements I hear is: But you get all that free meat!

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Got to be kidding me. If I climbed up over Thompson Pass naked with a hand made spear, yea. And it would still cost around $100. Cause the ticket for running around naked would be $75 or more.
    That's funny.

Ouch I'm still trying to put out my minds eye from that picture Dave.

lets see, heres how next years hunt breaks down:

$30 liscence
    $30 gas
    $30 food
    #10 bullets

and if I get drawn this winter, subtract $25 for gas and add $5 for the draw

Driving a Subaru has its advantages...

Quote Originally Posted by AVALANCHE View Post
    Economics 101; ok. So what you are saying is the public is not getting a market price for the product.

If the owners of the resource got proactive and changed the economics it would be what?

Anti-capitalism? Picking on guides? Discriminating?

Capitalism is taking advantage of a situation; and making every effort to get all you can while you can.

Are you saying that Guides are kicking back the "excess"; conserving the resource, not increasing the "take"?

It sounds like your saying Guides are in it for the money; capitalist to the core.
    Guess why I'm a liberal

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    One of the most annoying statements I hear is: But you get all that free meat!
    While I totally agree here Dave, nothing is "free." I will most certainly make a case for value.

I don't hunt sheep myself. It makes no economic sense. It might make me "feel like a winner" to kill one, but, I prefer putting oil in my tank to killing a trophy for my ego.

I have no ego. I like to eat, I like to hunt, but, I was born with a small brain that keeps me from overinvesting in the latter.

Before my sciatic nerve shut me down this year, I had already determined, AND with some research you'll see I posted, does were off of my list. They were never free of me in the past, and, with some hope for years to come, they won't always be free of me in times to come.

But, I'll never spend more than I think it is worth to fill my freezers. Whether by beef, deer, sheep, or anything requiring my license and time.

There is a value to the hunt itself... recreation. I'll put value on that. But, considering how little I have to spend to recreate, you'd have a hard time convincing me that I'm overinvested in my staples.

Last year (2007) I think I spent about $60.00 for my hunt/fish license with a king stamp. There might have been 4 gallons of gas exhausted in my pursuits.

I took 3 kings in excess of 30 lbs, one that was 17, and, got a grouse.

That was a HORRIBLE YEAR! But, still better than shopping.

Hunting, for most Alaskans, is "free meat."

That is not only my opinion, but, it has been my history.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Default Seriously

lets see, heres how next years hunt breaks down:

$30 liscence
    $30 gas
    $30 food
    #10 bullets

and if I get drawn this winter, subtract $25 for gas and add $5 for the draw

Driving a Subaru has its advantages...
    You need to budget way more that that. Clothes, fuel for the stove, pack frame, game bags, boots.... unless you already have that all the gear you need already. But there is always something you need. A fishing/trapping/hunting license is way more than $30, like $62.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Like Dave said, Even if you already have the gear, you had to purchase it at one point in time, GEAR is not cheap! and maintaining and cleaning gear ( replacement of batteries etc) ...the bottom line is, a few cents add up to dollars, and a few dollars add up to a hundred dollars and so forth, it goes on and on. Resident or not, if your doing a big game hunt under a hundred bucks...i want to know your secret.
    Brian, if that sheep you got is hanging on your wall, then I doubt that hunt was under a hundred bucks, tanning the hide alone cost over a hundred bucks nowdays. I consider a hunt from start to finish, from the planning stages to the trophy on the wall and meat in the freezer. Now if you did all that yourself, then you have all kinds of time on your hands, but one must remember...Time is money also....CK

Brian, if that sheep you got is hanging on your wall, then I doubt that hunt was under a hundred bucks, tanning the hide alone cost over a hundred bucks nowdays. I consider a hunt from start to finish, from the planning stages to the trophy on the wall and meat in the freezer. Now if you did all that yourself, then you have all kinds of time on your hands, but one must remember...Time is money also....CK
    Yes, yes...I know that there are gear costs to consider as well. That being said, I would own that gear whether I went on that particular sheep hunt or not. I don't often buy gear for one specific hunt, but rather get the gear because time in the mountains is central to my lifestyle. That $200 pair of boots? I've used them well over 200 times. Same with the jacket, pack, etc. etc. etc. I don't have to count the cost of my rifle in every single hunt...or at least that's how I view it.

As for the taxidermy, I'm blessed to have a brother that does it for me for free. Yep, the tanning and form are a bit more than $100, but the labor is free.

Some guys have all the luck, eh?

Default You are Blessed

If I had a brother that did Taxidermy?, I know for a fact he would be wanting something in return, and it may not be money, but his favors could get quite extensive. Thats nice you can do that, not to take advantage or anything but, do you plan on killing multiple animals this up coming season? My wife likes to hunt but gets mad when I kill something...because she has to write that check to the taxidermists...However, I have meat in the freezer...and no it wasn't free....CK

Mark

I've had a few successful moose hunts at well under $100.

They were local, it was a round trip drive of just 70 miles, and I used a canoe.

I don't count food because I'm eating whether I'm in the woods or at home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast