Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gear for Alaskan Sheep Hunt

Default Gear for Alaskan Sheep Hunt

Hello Folks,

First of all I would like to say your site is very informative and interesting. I have never posted on the site but have been visiting on a regular basis over the last couple years. I enjoy the site very much.

Wondering if I could pick some of your brains on gear. I will be hunting sheep/grizz on Sept 04-14th in the Brooks Range and it is a backpack hunt. Any input on field tested gear would be great. Cost is not a big factor. I have most of the gear I need but some items such as the ones below are the problem. I will be buying most of these items online and was hoping to save myself a lot of hassle.

Rain gear - I have been in to purchase Healy Impertec but the problem is I have to order it with a 50% deposit and it is non-rufundable. Not sure which is the best as there are different styles/models of the Impertec. Bib pants with 3/4 length coat is what I am thinking. Is there a better option than Healy?

Gortex Coat/Pant combo - Tried the Browning set and once it got a bit moist it took forever to dry, any input on what works and is field tested would be awesome.

Boots - I hunt sheep just about every year as an Alberta resident and use Danner Frontiers 600gram 10 inch uppers. Great boot for what I hunt sheep in but will they be enough for Alaska at this time of year? I am currently trying to get a set of Lowa Sheep Hunters in Edmonton somewhere but can`t find anybody that carries them, at least to see if the fit is good before purchase.

Sleeping Bag - I bought a MEC Hybrid good for -20, combined with a thermarest and a silk liner this system was great this year. There is down present in this bag but the "high risk" areas are synthetic. Head,feet and under lay are synthetic. Always did use full synthetic up til this year but this combination of the down with the synthetic seemed to be great. I think I know the answer to this one.

Gloves - I own several pairs of excellent gloves, usually carry 3 sets. One for extreme cold, wet and a light pair of leather ropers for every day use. For the extreme wet/cold weather I read about in Alaska what do some of you use for gloves in the storms? Thanks

I do have most of the gear I will need and have field tested many different products over the past sheep hunting trips. Any gear you would see as necessary for a hunter heading to hunt the mountains of Alaska in Sept please feel free to add your input.

Thank You very much in advance and Happy Holidays To You All...

Rain Gear - Helly Hansen Impertech - jacket and pants.

Pants - Mammut Champ; I had the 3SP Mountain Pants but I found the Champ pants to be the best for drying and insulating of the 2. I lived in a set of Mountain Hardward convertible pants on my sheep hunt in '05 because it was HOT and lived in the Champ pants on my '06 moose hunt.

Coat - Patagonia R4; perhaps look at Barney's Brooks Range jacket or Wiggy's Barren Grounds Parka - both seem pretty intriguing; Cabela's Berber fleece is good too but it is heavy.

Boots - I used the Cabela's Alaska Hunter and they worked good but I think you are on the right track with the Lowa Sheephunter; try www.shcnees.com

Sleeping bag - I have a Wiggy's/Kifaru Mountain bag (+20) bag and a Wiggy's Super Light (0). I definitely recommend synthetic and I believe you find most folks will too.

Gloves - I've used a pair of leather work gloves; Filson fingerless gloves and Browing lightweight fleece gloves.

There's a lot of info in the archives of this forum and the old ODD forum, as well as www.pristineventures.com and www.24hourcampfire.com forums.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Raingear: Impertech is the standard in Alaska but I wouldn't go with the bibs, their to restricting in my opinion. Get the pants with the guide coat if you can find it.
    Pants: I would go with the Sporthill 3SP camo pants, your hunting in the Brooks Range in September, it will get chilly if not downright cold. The Sitka mountain pants are awesome too but I would wear some capilene underneath.
    Boots: Your right on track with the Lowa's, enough said about them.
    Sleeping bag: Wiggy's Super lite (0 degree) or the Mountain Hunter.
    Jacket: Sitka 90% jacket with a fleece underlayer or the Wiggy's Barren Ground jacket, only available at Wiggy's-Alaska! Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a Wiggy's commercial but I do like his stuff.
    Gloves: I like fleece gloves or the OR Windstoppers.

I stay away from Gore-tex when it comes to rain gear but it does make a good wind stopper jacket. Another pice of gear I highly recommend are the Leki Makalu Titanium hiking poles without the anti-shok, you'll be glad you have them when your crossing loose shale scree or coming down the mountain with a pack on. Good luck to you!

Default Sheep Gear

Raingear- HH Impertech
    Pants- Arcteryx Champ pants (comparable to Mammuts)
    Jacket- Arteryx soft shell and Sitka gear 90% jacket
    Boots- Lowa Banff Boots, and Neos overboot (to cross streams)
    Sleeping bag- Slumberjack 20 degree bag with Bivy shell
    Gloves- O.R. mountain glove w/ inserts, and 1 pair of neoprene Glacier gloves.
    Hat- Arteryx merino wool beanie

Input appreciated,

I have looked the wiggys bags over many times and have seen many threads/comments on how good they are. I have been trying different bags for a while, guess I will have to order one for this fall. Do I need the FTRSS with this and is the overbag waterproof? Looks like the overbag could be worth a try.

Is the HH guide coat the 3/4 length?

I own a pair of the 3SP mountain pants but they are a size too small and do not have the side zippers. You don`t just slip em on. Where are you getting the camo set 45?

One question I was going to ask that I forgot was gators Ya or Na?

The sitka gear will get a try, I have read more good reports and feedback on these products than many other products out there. I do believe in layering as many others do and some of the sitka gear seems great for this with all the choices.

The Mammut gear looks great, did a search on it and from what I see it looks pretty good.

Lots of gear that I have seen online but your input helps narrow down the choices. I already have piles of old gear that hasn't even seen two sheep hunts and unless somebody else uses it it will sit and collect dust. Thanks

REI currently has the Sporthill Pants for $140, with thier current rebate you can walk away with them for $120... Hard pants to beat at that price...

Default REI

Yeah, buy those pants and tell them your going to go Kill a sheep, and see what kind of looks you get from them....hehehe..............CK.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Yeah, buy those pants and tell them your going to go Kill a sheep, and see what kind of looks you get from them....hehehe..............CK.
    Ha! Fun stuff! Ask them if they have any ammo! : )

Default Pants

If you are in the market for some pants, there are a couple of good deals to be had if you can find your size...

Mammut Champ Pants for 119.93 at ClimbHighOutlet.com
    SportHill '06 Camo Pants for 99.95 at MileMarkerSports.com

My other comments would be: I would not carry both Gore-Tex and Impertech. I would urge you to have a "resistant" layer, like a softshell material or windbloc material and the impertech. Most shoftshells (like the Champ pants) breathe and flex better than the Gore-Tex and thus would be better for constant wear. Also, your sleeping bag is a bit heavy for my taste, but I am sure it will be comfortable if you are willing to tote it around.

Bryan

The FTRSS is a little to much for a sheep hunt IMO, I would look at the Mountain Hunter (5lbs) or the SuperLite (4lbs) both are good down to zero degree's or if your really worried about getting cold, get the Ultima Thule (5lbs) which is good down to -20.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn Wx View Post
    My other comments would be: I would not carry both Gore-Tex and Impertech. I would urge you to have a "resistant" layer, like a softshell material or windbloc material and the impertech. Most shoftshells (like the Champ pants) breathe and flex better than the Gore-Tex and thus would be better for constant wear.
    Bryan
    I agree, your combo is what I use. 3SPSs and Impertech... Can't get much better than that... : )

I used to hunt sheep wearing jeans, a Cotton Flannel Shirt, and Hi-tec Leather Boots (that i made water resisant with a hairdryer and beeswax).

There is not a group of people more passionate about thier gear than sheep hunters.

That being said - all the gear mentioned here is good there is no doubt.

Default gear

Lowa boots
    Sporthill pants
    1 pair leather gloves, 1 pair rubber insulated (fisherman) gloves
    helly hanson, no bibs...extra weight
    synthetic long underwear
    synthetic sox
    UA lightweight shirt
    Cabela's ridgerunner windproof jacket
    Osprey internal frame pack
    jetboil stove
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Default Great Info

I am going to grab several items mentioned and have been able to find them online but which of these impertec coats is the guide or which combo are you guys using? Can't find it anywhere else, thanks.

http://www.helly.ca/EN/products/cat1...currPg3/numR12

The Deluxe jacket looks the right one but it's a little hard to tell. I read the description and it sounds like the right one. Check Barney's website, it was there the other day.

Jason in anchorage- Do you know which other fuel cells fit the jet-boil stoves? I have heard that there was another brand with slightly larger cheaper cannisters that fit.

If your looking for a bigger cannister for your Jet Boil, this one will work.
    http://www.campsaver.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=snp0015&eq=&Tp=

Default Jet Boil Cannisters

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Jason in anchorage- Do you know which other fuel cells fit the jet-boil stoves? I have heard that there was another brand with slightly larger cheaper cannisters that fit.
    I bought the Brunton cannisters as they were cheaper than the actual jet boil cannisters. However, I do not know if they are any larger.

Default gloves

Look at YOUNGSTOWN gloves. They make several different models. Guaranteed waterproof, mine have a fleece/soft exterior. Hunting in the rain, and setting decoys, my hands stayed dry. Sitting on stands in near freezing temps my hands stayed fairly warm. They were flexible enough to be able to manipulate binocs and shoot with them on. I have not had mine long enough to compare durability, but so far no issues with them. Cost is around $25.00
    I also use a pair of medium weight fleece gloves. They are durable, pretty warm, dry fast, and keep the bugs off. Cost around $7.00.

Gloves, for daily use a I use a set of flight( tactical ) gloves. heavy ones have stayed in the pack last three sheep hunts.

Pants ( shirt and jacket too) Cabela's microtex. I have a set of SP3s , but wear the micotex a lot more often. heck of a lot cheaper. go
    with outfitter camo.

Rain gear. HH guide coat top, good gortex full zip bottoms, precip in my case,although mil surplus ecws have worked too.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast