Thread: New Hodgdon 4350 class powder

Default New Hodgdon 4350 class powder

Hi guys, a coworker sent this to me a couple weeks back. I almost exclusively use H4350 (300wsm, 243win, 30-06, 338win), so this one sounds interesting to me.

Media Release

Chris Hodgdon
    Marketing/Sales
    Hodgdon Powder Company
    Phone: 913-362-9455 ext 120
    Fax: 913-362-1307
    Email: chris@hodgdon.com

October 2007

For Immediate Release

Hybrid 100V™ - a technological marvel

Shawnee Mission Kansas, October 2, 2007 – Hodgdon®-The Gun Powder People™, supplier of Hodgdon®, IMR®, Winchester®, and Vihtouvori® smokeless propellants, as well as Pyrodex® and Triple Se7en® muzzleloading Pellets and Granular propellants, introduces HYBRID 100V™. This is a technological wonder that marries two technologies: the chemistry of a Spherical powder with the geometry of an Extruded propellant.

Ideal for use in calibers that fit H4350, HYBRID 100V delivers stunning velocities not seen before in a variety of popular cartridges, such as 3,310fps for a 150-grain bullet in the 300 Weatherby Magnum –nearly 100fps faster than the nearest competitor. Its unique small grain, part Spherical, part Extruded shape benefits the handloader in two ways; the powder accurately flows smoothly and easily through a measure and charge weights are consistent for ideal load density and pinpoint accuracy. HYBRID 100V sets the performance standard with a winning precision target shooting and big game hunting experience.

HYBRID 100V in one and eight pound containers will be at Hodgdon dealers everywhere spring 2008. Complete data is complementary and available 24/7 at the hodgdon.com Reloading Data Center. For more information contact Hodgdon Powder Company at 913-362-9455 or by mail at 6231 Robinson, Shawnee Mission Kansas 66202. For your powder choice it’s Hodgdon, the Brand that’s True.

Default Hodgon Hybrid 100V

Definitely interesting.... Data is shown for several calibers on the Hodgon site. http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Wonder exactly when it will be on the shelves, have to try this one. Thanks for the heads up!

Wink

I wonder how the stuff acts in cold temps??
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Thumbs up new powder

I beleve I will just stick with Reloader 19 in my 338 Win very happy with it!

I would love it if someone could explain why the ball and extruded powder technology, when mixed give us impressive velocity. Hodgdon states better metering, but I don’t think that in itself makes a better powder. The new 100v is listed in the ball category and not extreme category in the hodgdon website. Doesn’t this make it inferior for hunting applications?

It would be interesting for an expert to chime in with the differences in regular vs extreme for a variety of conditions/temperatures. I was at the range last week -12 C . Velocities were a little lower but accuracy was excellent. What should I expect? Up here I can be hunting in plus 20 in early September to minus 20 in late Nov. I practice in all temps to ensure rifle accuracy/consistency and cause it’s fun but, Is it possible to run in to an unsafe pressure condition when using max or close to max loads given the 40degree temp difference? I was considering changing some of my old favorites in IMR 4350 and working up loads using H4350.

Quote Originally Posted by 35gibber View Post
    I would love it if someone could explain why the ball and extruded powder technology, when mixed give us impressive velocity. Hodgdon states better metering, but I don’t think that in itself makes a better powder. The new 100v is listed in the ball category and not extreme category in the hodgdon website. Doesn’t this make it inferior for hunting applications?

It would be interesting for an expert to chime in with the differences in regular vs extreme for a variety of conditions/temperatures. I was at the range last week -12 C . Velocities were a little lower but accuracy was excellent. What should I expect? Up here I can be hunting in plus 20 in early September to minus 20 in late Nov. I practice in all temps to ensure rifle accuracy/consistency and cause it’s fun but, Is it possible to run in to an unsafe pressure condition when using max or close to max loads given the 40degree temp difference? I was considering changing some of my old favorites in IMR 4350 and working up loads using H4350.
    I love this subject but it bothers me when someone asks for an expert opinion, it puts way too much pressure on me as a novice.

First I think it would be agood plan to switch to H4350 from IMR, it is much less reactive to temperature variations. But, don't start whining that it is cold where you are.

Secondly, "Spherical Powder technology" is just this; Ball (spherical) powder is double based, meaning it is composed of nitro cellulose and nitro glycerin and has more energy per grain within the same consumpton rate.

Some extruded powders are double based but all ball powders are. The down side of ball powders is their temperature sensitivity and the shape and kind of coating on them often causes them to cake or clump together especially when compressed and warmed up in the afternoon sun. They are also hard to ignite. Harder when cold and generally require magnum primers.

These things together generally make it less desirable from a hunters view because of the varying temperatures where we may hunt. Their higher energy content does appeal to some when extracting the last bit of velocity from a particular cartridge. This and the fact that ball meters so well through most powder measures make the spherical propellants desirable to some loaders. They are almost always the preferred powder for factory ammo loaders because they meter so well and are generally cheaper.

Now as for Hodgdon's new powder I'll have to take their word for it's attributes until I try it. I think it has been used by the ammo industry for a few years in loading some of the "High Energy" ammo. It will still have some of the ball powder blues but may be a boni fide better powder. I will buy a pound or two of it when it is available because I burn a lot of powder in that burn rate. One good thing in our favor is the company that produced it. Hodgdon's is dedicated to the powder industry and they have the most extensive testing program and generate the most useful loading data of any powder maker. To me they are a trusted American company and we're lucky to have them still making powder for us to handload.

How's that?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Cheers Mr. Murphy.
    My first rifle was an 8mm mauser, I borrowed reloading stuff so that I could shoot a lot.. and factory ammo was poor. (so was I ) A friend gave me some W748 which gave top velocities but would work worth a d***** until I used magnum primers (again donated). Now I know why. I now have a excuse as if I needed one to play with my 6.5x55s and H4350.

As for the cold, no whining from me I love the cold, my favorite hunt is the last week of November, -10 with a fresh skiff of soft snow and fresh tracks heading back in to the timber! but -35 just before Christmas reminded me not to forget my long johns! I have a friend who was in Antarctica - minus 70C one morning, I didn’t know that it could get that cold, imagine needing to take a #2 in that!!!!!!

20 degrees or more either side of freezing is a significant temperature window. Could a max load of , say, imr4350 or w748 in winter give excessive pressure on a 30degree day in August? Thinking about that I guess that the Russian or Finnish front in WW2 would present extreme conditions?

Incidentally, I tried a box of Hndy HE for my .270, velocity was essentially the same as my standard load with H4831 and accuracy was poor. Two friends found the same with their 06s. A tiny sample I know.

Thanks again

It has been explained to me: This new powder offers more velocity with the same chamber pressures. H 4350 and H4831sc are my go to powders for the various 284 wildcats and for the various SHort Mags. I will have to recontact because I quit using Ball powder years ago because of the extreme temp problem.