Thread: Shedding

Default Shedding

Just curious on the amount of shedding on a lab. This is the first time I have owned a lab and he is about to turn a year old. Do labs shed alot during the winter months. I just want to make sure that his excessive shedding isnt caused by other things. He has a vet appointment coming up but would like others input on shedding cycles and amount of shedding that is normal. Thanks

Default shedding

I am by no means an expert but my experience tells me dogs who are inside all the time tend to shed more consistantly throughout the year. Dogs who are outdoor or at least indoor /outdoor dogs and are kept in a cooler environment than what we humans like, tend to shed on a normal cycle, not all year. I think it may effect their metaoblism or something.
    I keep my dogs in an indoor / outdoor kennel. The indoor temperature is around 50 degrees give or take a few depending on the season.

So do labs shed...mine did, but I believe the degree can depend on the environment they are kept in. Dogs mean, dog hair.

Default Year-round hair

Our yellow lab is a steady producer of hair throughout the year. At 14.5 years, he's inside more than out these days. Never comes out in clumps like other dogs we've had with thick undercoats. Just a little all the time, although mostly when you're wearing black pants!

I've brushed mine out every week or two with the furmanator and have very little in the house.

Default shedding

Having had and raised lab for the last 25 years, we plan on them shedding twice a year. We now have chocolate labs which is better. Their brown hair does not show as much as the yellows. Ours stay in an out door kennel until the temps get cold. Then they go to the garage the is kept at 45 degrees.
    For the comfort that our labs give us, we have no issues with what they shed.

Quote Originally Posted by gsc View Post
    I've brushed mine out every week or two with the furmanator and have very little in the house.
    furminators are awesome.

My lab sheds all over the place, I have to warn people about showing up to my house in a white shirt, because it will be black by the time they leave.

I had a cocker spaniel with skin issues that would make her shed horribly. I changed her food from a beef base to a lamb base and it made a big difference. There is also one that is good that is avocado based. Sorry, forgotten the name of it as I didn't use it regularly.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

The wife vacuumed twice a day to keep up with our Yeller Lab. I tried brushing him out, but man that stuff never stopped coming off of him.

He is now in the garage and comes in a few hours a day, and sometimes sleeps in over night, but its cooler out there, and like someone else said, he doesn't shed as much now.

Thanks for all the replies. I have since bought the furminator and moved him out into the garage also. He has shown lots of improvement on the shedding issue. I brush him everytime he comes out of the kennel and vacum maybe once every two days now. Between the furminator and the cooler temps it really works. Thanks