Thread: I need help.......

Default I need help.......

I am from SC and was called tonight by a friend who wants to hunt AK...bad Any suggestions? We are interested in Caribou , Moose, Deer , Bear (black) etc. From the conversation we are ready just make us some suggestions.
    I am a full time hunting guide and we run a place called Buck and Boar here in SC. Check out our website at www.boar-hunter.com

I would say that first thing to do is to pick which species you would most like and which one you would like 2nd most. Also figure out what time of year you would most like. Alaska is a huge place and unless you help us out a little more it is going to be hard for us to give you good advice.

AK

Default Welcome!

For starters, welcome to Outdoors Directory! This is BY FAR the largest website on the net that's focused entirely on Alaska outdoors activities. You're gonna really like it here...

You've got a pretty general question here, but one of the first ones you should be looking at. Decide on a species, locate a general area, determine your group size, expenses, etc. I'm happy to help you get this focused a bit, if you want to drop me a PM or contact me via email. After that, you'll have some pretty focused questions for us here in the hunting forum...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

When I have had friends or relatives from out of state inquire about hunting Alaska, I usually point them towards caribou as the animal to target on their first hunt. Caribou are plentiful in certain areas of the state, if you plan well success rates are generally high, non-residents can hunt them unguided, they're beautiful animals for those interested in antlers, and while large, they are a managable size to deal with in the field. (Moose, on the other hand, are far more difficult to deal with.) Deer and black bear are also high-success rate hunts, but Alaska is the only state with huntable populations of caribou, so the uniqueness of it also adds to the experience.

Take the advice given above and spend hours searching through the forum archives getting a feel for what to expect. You'll do far better by focusing on one species than trying for more than one. Once you get an idea of what you'd like to hunt and when, come back with more specific questions. You'll find that you'll get far more answers when you've got a basic framework figured out.

Good luck!

Default caribou

I agree that you should focus on caribou. As a bonus, it is quite possible that you will run across bears while on a caribou hunt. A partner and I killed 2 bears and a caribou on the same day within about 200 yards of each other a few years back.

Default Caribou

Another advantage to hunting caribou is that it won't break the bank to ship the meat home. A moose could get pretty expensive to process and ship (not bad if you are local, but I would hate to see the freight bill). I don't know if the finances are a significant factor for your hunt, but might be something to consider.

I also agree that caribou would probably be best for a first hunt. check into a float hunt for caribou with perhaps moose as a secondary animal. Be in great shape not just "good". The terrain while quite varied around Alaska, will whup you good if your not in top physical condition.....some of the moose/caribou hunting websites have good gear lists as far as what to bring. Remember most outfitters/guides fly you out with small planes (Supercubs) and have a gear weight limit. Contact Ak. F&G for hunt regs and check out all the various units available to hunt in and their differing regs/limits. Kodiak can be great for deer and caribou. SE Alaska has some good Sitka Blacktail/Blackbear hunting, Prince of Wales Is. has large bucks/ big blackies...Kuiu Is. gets blackies upwards of 6-700 lbs shot every year.
    Last edited by kjashen; 12-17-2007 at 14:00. Reason: adding

I think Caribou will be the primary animal. When are the seasons and dates and what can one expect to spend on a hunt?
    Thanks for all the responses any help will be greatly appreciated.

it might be easier if you were to give us what your high point on expenses would be so we can better assist you, some area's cost more to get to so if we had a high ball on how much you want to spend per person it will help out alot

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Hart View Post
    When are the seasons and dates and what can one expect to spend on a hunt?
    There are literally seasons that last the entire year in certain areas of the state, and hunts can cost anywhere from hundreds to many thousands of dollars. You really need to do some reading and come back with some more specific ideas. It truly is an enormous state with many, many options.

I really dont have a high or low as I have no idea where to start. Lets just through out 2000.00
    I hunt all over NA every year from elk and p-dogs in the west to black bear in New Brunswick. All of these hunts are with friends and clients that have hunted with me in the past. We do a lot of swapping with each other so the price is never and issue. Not knowing anyone in AK I know this one will cost me and that is OK I just dont know what a Caribou hunt typically runs.
    I guess I could look up some outfitters to get some ideas.