Thread: federal "subsistance" proposals...

Exclamation federal "subsistance" proposals...

there are several proposals up for consideration this spring.
    the deadline for written comments is january 4th.

most of the proposals deal with the post-rut moose hunt in the kenai refuge. these hunts can take place in the tustemena trophy drawing permit areas.

the first proposal (WPOS-17) is put forth by F&G to restrict the federal moose hunt. currently there is no limit on permits, nor is there any requirement for hunters to check in or otherwise be accountable for proving the legality of the moose harvested. the dept has conservation concerns that the moose population could be seriously overharvested, and though the feds are supposed to defer to F&G in issues of conservation thus far they have not.

the next proposal calls for the elimination of the hunt entirely. (WPOS-18)

two proposals call for either the surrender or destruction of "trophy value" of the horns. (WPOS-19 and 20)

the homer advisory committee supports all 4 of these proposals.

WPOS-24 is a request put forth by the russian old-beleiver communities at the head of kachemak bay for "customary and traditional use" designation that would allow them to take part in the hunt.
    the homer AC opposes this adamantly.

WPOS-22 is a request by cooper landing for C&T use designation allowing for the establishment of a late (10/10-11/10) season "any bull" hunt on federal land throughout GMU 7.
    the homer AC also adamantly opposes this.

written comments can be submitted to:
    federal subsistance board
    office of subsistance management
    3601 C street, suite 1030
    anch, AK 99503

E-mail: subsistence@fws.gov
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

out of curiosity, how many people live in cooper landing?

I really like the destruction of trophy value one, should be like that for all subsistence hunts!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Angry i am bringing this back up...

the federal regional advisory committee will be meeting in cordova next week to consider these proposals.
    it is very likely that they will sign off on the proposal from cooper landing for C&T, and an any bull hunt for federal subsistence users (port graham, ninilchik, seldovia, nanwalek...maybe cooper landing and the old believer communities at the head of the bay) on all federal lands in GMU 7, 15A and 15B.
    this means "any bull" from august 10-sept 20, and AGAIN in october/november.
    you can say good-bye to hunting on the kenai refuge, and the tustemena trophy permit hunts will be a thing of the past too.
    F&G has been told to "prepare written assesments, you may not be asked to testify"
    sure is hard to get to cordova to testofy on this...

Tony Knowles's legacy lives on! He closed the state parks' crappers, and left our game management in the crapper...

Unhappy

Ninilchick and cooper landing? Dont forget to include Moose Pass, Nikiski, Tustamena, and Sterling to be consistent. Heck, now you might as well include Kenai, Soldotna, Homer and Seward cause then the entire peninsula could be subsistence. Honestly, "customary and traditional" use was by all early residents of the peninsula in all towns such as Homer, Kenai, Soldotna and Seward and existed there earlier than some of the outlying communities which were unihabitated until later. So there is no sense to this other than to make the entire peninsula a subsistence area. But wait a minute, early inhabitants of Anchorage and the Valley probably hunted a lot and they need to be subsistence areas also... What a mess!
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

Default this is the meeting where these issues will be addressed

Federal Subsistence Board to Meet April 29-May 1 in Anchorage

The Federal Subsistence Board will meet April 29 through May 1 to consider changes to Federal subsistence hunting and trapping regulations. The meeting will be held at the Coast International Inn, 3450 Aviation Avenue, Anchorage and will begin at 8:30 a.m. daily.

The Board will consider more than 50 proposals to change subsistence hunting and trapping regulations on Federal public lands throughout Alaska. The new regulations will be effective July 1, 2008 through June 30, 2010. Meeting materials can be found on the Federal Subsistence Management Program website, http://alaska.fws.gov/asm/home.html, under “Federal Subsistence Board – Meeting Materials.”

The public is welcome at this meeting. Questions, or requests for accommodation for individuals with disabilities, should be directed to the Office of Subsistence Management at (800) 478-1456 or (907) 786-3888 or by e-mail, subsistence@fws.gov.

Any way to propose that the federal govt take their hind end out of our state all together? figures! They insist they have to manage our game because we can't then they undermine every conservation measure ADF&G puts in place to actually manage our resource...

Don't tell me the co chair of the BHA is against good honest subsistence users having opportunity to feed their families..........before all you rich folks?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    ......you can say good-bye to hunting on the kenai refuge, and the tustemena trophy permit hunts will be a thing of the past too....
    Don't tell me the co chair of the BHA is against good honest subsistence users having opportunity to feed their families..........before all you rich folks?
    Wasn't Dave an advocate of "subsistence"?

Oh, well. Subsistence is just great...........until you're the one getting the shaft.

I guess it looks different when the feds crawl right down your shorts, doesn't it?..............

"First they came for the Jews,
    and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t a Jew.

Then they came for the sick, the so-called incurables,
    and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t mentally ill.

Then they came for the Catholics,
    and I didn’t speak up, because I was a Protestant.

Then they came for me,
    and I shouted, “Help! Help!”

But there was no one left to hear me."

Talking "all us rich folks...?" ROTFLMAO

gosh mike, didn't know you could get the "good stuff" in nome.... but you must be smokin' it!!!
    i'm just a little concerned that the feds will not only open additional lands in GMU 7 and 15, but that they will then grant traditional and customary use designation to the old believer villages at the head of the bay... who have only been here < 30 years.
    so what could happen is that for a few years (or only a couple) there is great success for hunters in the late season post-rut hunt. folks who can now trailer their horses up to tustemena and hunt the areas the state has managed for limited drawing hunts. folks who drive up to swanson and other parts of the kenai refuge from the rural outposts of seldovia, ninilchick, and cooper landing. how great it will be to be allowed to shoot ANY BULL when the leaves come off the trees and the moose are easier to find... for a short while.
    then suddenly the moose hunting will fall off... census numbers (oh yeah... F&G hasn't had the money for a full census in nearly 10 years) will drop below IM objectives, harvests will fall below IM goals... steps will have to be taken... likely some sort of predator control...
    but here's the great thing! the state will NOT ONLY be mandated by IM law to do something, but FORBIDDEN from doing it on federal land!!!
    oh, i forgot.. before predator control, sport hunting will be curtailed... another caveat of IM law.
    so no more tustemena trophy hunts...maybe permit or tier II in the caribou hills... and all the while we are getting cut back, the fed hunt will continue, on lands where the wolves and bears can seek safe haven, immune to the states predator control efforts...

but hey, who cares... after all, the future is later....

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    gosh mike, didn't know you could get the "good stuff" in nome.... but you must be smokin' it!!!
    i'm just a little concerned that the feds will not only open additional lands in GMU 7 and 15, but that they will then grant traditional and customary use designation to the old believer villages at the head of the bay... who have only been here < 30 years.....
    You must be smokin' some pretty good stuff yourself if you don't know full well that's coming. It ain't about the years, it's about your zip code.

I thought you had this stuff all figured out?

"This message is hidden because Mark is on your ignore list."

Mark

Looks like somebody needs to put an end to the ignorance stuff.

It's catching up to him.