Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yentna river hauling lumber

Default Yentna river hauling lumber

Looking to start hauling 6" 3 sided logs for a cabin on Hewitt lake. What kind of sled is best for the river? Does anyone have pictures of a 4 skied stearable sled? Or should i wait for high water and barge it in. Any ideas how much a 28x20 with 1/2 loft weighs? Tony

look up Larry Heater at Deska Landing he'll freight in all the stuff you have.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

Thats alot of lumber to haul i would gess between 15 to 20 thousand pounds mabe more. I hauld in all the materials for a 12 x 16 cabin with a loft out of stick wood just the shell and it was 8500 lbs. that was without the beams or any of the railroad ties for the foundation.
    it would be better to haul it in the winter than with the barge you would only make it to the mouth of the creek that gos to hewitt lak and you need a jet boat to get to the lake and with a hevy load it would be tuff.
    Larry heater charged me 300 a load to upper fish creek lake and he can haul between 2000and 2500 lbs. you are about 35 miles past me.
    The other option is larry rents sleds for 50 dollors a day. If you had some frends with some good machines like the skandics or any other wide tracts it would be alot less money

I just rememberd there is a guy named ron that has a large snow track and a bigger sled that hauls up the river he might be the way to go if you dont want to do it yourself..

Ron's up at Susitna Landing and is a real nice guy.

Thanks for the information. Just got off the phone with Larry and he said he can make it up the slough at high water with 4to5k lbs. Will look at winter hauling too. Anyone know Rons number?

I was up there 2 summers ago in my boat. The slough can be shallow with a couple stumps in it. Worse is the lake is shallow once you get to it. Bear tracks everywhere along the slough.

Take it in over the ice. After you figure out how much fuel you are going to burn, see how much to have it delivered. I would bet near to 20K pounds with foundation, roof, doors, windows, etc.

You the guy with the Blueberry Komatsu mini-excavator (gray market)?

No excavator yet. Would be nice to have for foundation and septic.

Default freight costs

I barged in a 24 x 30 cabin with 1/2 loft. 6" 3 sided logs, all the rough cut lumber, concrete, sono tube, metal roofing, wood stove, the whole kit weighed in at @ 55,000 lbs. Thats a coniderable freight cost at 10 cents/lb. CN

Default Ron's Riverboat Service

907-495-7700 1-888-495-0077

I went on a fishing trip with Ron a couple of years ago. The other guy on the trip was a comercial flyer and had a bit of free time. Ron was telling him about winter freight hauling. Sounded like a fun winter project.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptNemo View Post
    I barged in a 24 x 30 cabin with 1/2 loft. 6" 3 sided logs, all the rough cut lumber, concrete, sono tube, metal roofing, wood stove, the whole kit weighed in at @ 55,000 lbs. Thats a coniderable freight cost at 10 cents/lb. CN
    CN,
    That is alot higher than my estimate. I wonder if the concrete and logs could have been the major contributers.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by pa18tony View Post
    No excavator yet. Would be nice to have for foundation and septic.
    There was a small Komatsu on the north side a couple years ago. Maybe you can rent it from him.

Found some logs for 2.50 a foot. Said they are about 7# per foot. Looking at about 21,000# just for the logs.

How much land do you have on hewitt there are nice logs there.
    I know a couple of people who built there and used logs from there property. When you talked to larry did he say anything about how the river is??

I helped build a 1600 sq ft log home 2 years ago and it is still settling. If you get a kit make sure that it is very well drawn out how to put it together. Sometimes common sense isn't common. The engineer did some really funky roofing and did not draw it, explain it or answer phone calls.

If you have not purchased your logs. Look at stick building with a rustic look.

Set realistic goals. If you can only get it dried in the first year, only ship what you will use. I am looking at putting up a 20 X 28 myself this summer. My current goals:

March - Carry most materials in over the ice. Scout a bit. Measure a bit. Walk property. Drill hole in lake. Fish.

May (end of month) dig for footings. Measure twice, dig once. Tree removal if necessary.

June - Set foundation and sub-floor including blocking, insulation and bottom covering. Outhouse. Fish.

July 4th weekend (5 days off) - Put up walls, frame windows and kitchen door but do not cut. Cover with OSB and tyvek. Install front door. Install dual loft (will help ALOT with the roofing) catwalk and stairs. Try to cover with plastic.

July - Frame roof and dry in with felt and beatchathane. Install a few simpson ties. Put metal roof on the next weekend. Fish.

August - Install blocking. Insulate the ceiling. Visqueen. Install varmit screens. Simpson ties that are not done yet. Install a few windows.

Sept - Fish, wire and insulate walls.

Anything more will be gravey. My crew wants to fish and so do I. If things are getting done slower, I will seek more assistance and lower my goals. If things are going quickly, I will step up the pace and carry materials in with the boat.

Laters,
    Mike

Larry said the river is still open in places. We have 5 ac. and looking to put in a strip as soon as everyone involved agrees on it. That means equipment ect. The property is full of big spruce only things holding me back is time,manpower and equip. Would like to build stick but wife says LOG. Just got a lumber rack for the cub and will start hauling a dock out this winter. Have snowmachines too. Have to get the son in law knowed up on hauling. Made a couple of trips up the slough 1 in aug. saw Larry that time and oct2 the last time low water but doable in our 17' lowe. I think i can haul 800# with the boat at 50 gal rt 6.5 hr a run. But i only have so much time.

Default snowmachine freight sled

Answered my question on sleds. http://tagalongak.com/products.html

I just built a sled out of uhmw that would work great for freighting. I made mine out of a 4x10 sheet but you can order larger ones. Discussion in the snowmachine forum. Check out northern sled works to buy one. good luck and have fun.

Default weight

6" fire killed log will weigh about 5-7#/ft. 20x28 cabin with 1/2 loft will weigh in between 23-28 tons.
    My 16x20 2 story w/ 2/3 loft estimated weight is 15 tons.
    It's amazing to think that you will lift that much weight in a summer.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by makalutoo View Post
    I just built a sled out of uhmw that would work great for freighting. I made mine out of a 4x10 sheet but you can order larger ones.
    I need some for a different project, but could you say a few words about where you purchased the 4x10 sheets of plywood? Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast