Thread: Cover oil cooler?

Default Cover oil cooler?

I've got a '96 Kodiak 400 and am probably going to use it several times this winter. Does it hurt to cover the oil cooler in winter to help keep the oil to proper operating temperature? Thanks

Depends what you are going to be using it for. If you're plowing or working it hard, leave it uncovered. If you're just piddling around, you might get away with covering it up a little. If it's got a fan, I'd pay close attention to it if you cover up. If it comes on, you'd better uncover.

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    I've got a '96 Kodiak 400 and am probably going to use it several times this winter. Does it hurt to cover the oil cooler in winter to help keep the oil to proper operating temperature? Thanks
    Where are you located in Alaska? I have run my ATV in temps down to
    -20f degrees. No need to cover anything. The engine revs high enough to heat the engine up to proper temp as long as you warm it up properly. If you plowing, the heat will melt snow and ice off your ATV down to -10f degrees. Any colder than -25f and I would just stay inside. Temps aren't the issue but the wind will make you miserable.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/