Thread: Fly fishing for Silvers - What Kind of Combo

Default Fly fishing for Silvers - What Kind of Combo

I've lived in Alaska my whole life and sport fishing use to be a short net. I've learned to take my time and rod and reel fish without filling up the boat. I want to get a fly rod combo for someone who knows nothings. What should I get. What kind of combo? Something for silvers and sheefish. I want to learn the sport. Thanks, Jason

Buy you a 9' 8 weight TFO (temple fork outfitters) with a Ross Cimmaron reel. This setup may cost you around $350 - $400 but you will definitly enjoy your purchase more when you get used to fly fishing. It aint cheap, but if you buy something cheap to begin with, you WILL regret it down the road.

I use 2 different rods depending on where im at. I have a 9wt that i use on the kenai due to the fast water. I use an 8wt on the russian in the clear water. I have found patience on the russian will play off, Those silvers come in and lay under all the older reds. Not dumb fish. I have had success for many many years catching silvers on the russian. I do not use a high end reel. I use a Scientific anglers reel. The same one i have been using for reds, bows, silvers, pinks etc etc for the last 12 years
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Hard to Beat Temple Forks

Second Thumbs up for TFO rods. www.templeforkflyrods.com Hard to best their value with their warranty. No need to spend more than $100.00 - $135.00 on a Life Time Warranty Rod.

Thir Mid Range Reels are worth a look as well. Cabela's and Orvis as well as Ross all offer a mid arbor reel in the price range of $99.00 - $140.00

Do nto over look Okuma on the reel as well for around $70.00 worth every penny for some one new to the sport.

8 or 9W mid flex rod will do you just fine.

Blue Moose

Check out the newer pfleuger reels too. They are pretty nice for the price--better drag system than okuma IMO.

Default Thank you for Advice

Thank you all for your advice. Its very helpful. I'm doing some research based all of your advice. Jason

another vote for TFO, cheap and quality rods.

I'd go with a 7 for the silvers and really consider a 9 or even a 10 for the sheefish. considering there size and tenacity. Really depends on where you'll be fishing here.

If you can find an older ross G3, you'll buy a reel once and never buy it again. You can buy an extra spare spool or two and use the loop to loop fly lines like rio and you'll only need one fly line per spare spool per rod, so 2 rods, one reel one spare spool, two lines. You can work up to this.

The 7 can handle the shee's I think till you snatch a biggun......then, well, you'll atleast have fun and might be stroking that warrenty.

Another vote for TFO.

I bought a used TFO rod with a bad guide and contacted TFO about getting them to repair it. I explained that I was not original owner, and that I expected to pay full $ for the repair.

They treated me like the original owner of the product and fixed it as a warranty repair!

Except for a light weight Orvis, and a pack rod ("bush rod" for brushy small water) made for me by a friend, every fly rod I own is a TFO.

For a fly reel I would go with a Ross Gunnison, most of the guides I knew over the years also used this brand and model (a reel workhorse). For a rod brand I would select either a GLoomis or Sage, both have good warranties. I guided for 10 yrs and most anglers and guides used either one of these two. I personally would select a GLoomis, I like their sensitivity. An 8wt 9ft 4pc rod would be a good choice for coho. 4pc just for traveling convenience. (You can also hand carry it on the jet, also easier to pack on bush planes). You also need 200yds of 20lb backing, and for a flyline I would go with Teeny Flylines, used them for years.

Default Scott / Ross Reels

TFO makes great rods for the price, but if you're looking for something that is just a little better, I'd check into the Scott Fly Rod Company. Lifetime warranty and great workmanship on each and every rod.

Ross Reels is the way to go. The Cimmarron is good, but might be a bit small for what you want to do. The Gunnison isn't made anymore, now it's called "Rhythm". I just got a new model with an extra spool, which will allow me to shoot a 6 wt or 8 wt, which pretty much covers everything up here with the exception of Kings.

Can you tell I used to guide on the Gunnison River, very near Montrose, CO.

Cheers
    www.matsuexpeditions.com - Alaskan Wilderness Fishing & Rafting

you can find a lot of gunnisons like the G3 very easily and the price's are going down!!!

Forgot to add that I have a bunch of rods but like most dont have a ton of reels.

A pair of system 2l 5-6's (second one kinda fell into my lap) with a couple spare spools. I run these up to my 10' 6wt loomis down to a 1wt, though mostly used on the 3 and 6, I have to respool to use the 1. Wifes cat loves those days The G3 with a couple spare spools though I rarely use more then one spare spool. And a system 2 1011 with a spare spool that hardly gets used. WIsh I would have piked up the g5. I did burn up the 10-11 this last summer on salt kings, boy what power. It's an old real and the drag gave up it's life. SA sent me a free drag repair kit, had it in a couple of days, no charge, no shipping charge either....

Whatever you do buy, make sure it has a good warrenty. It's becoming the industry standard in the fly fishing world though not all has caught on. I think most of if not all of us have mentioned it, the warrenty fact. Lets face it, they dont put this kind of warrenty on a rig thats going to die in a year or two.

Default 8 wt...

I would suggest a fast action 8 wt rod if silvers and sheefish were on the menu. I used a Scott S3s 8 wt this past Sept on the Goodnews and it worked flawlessly. I have caught some sheefish on other rods (gear) but feel confident that a high quality fast action 8 wt would suffice. I have a Temple Fork rod and dont find them as impressive as most people who have commented here. In all fairness, I have a 10 ft 7 wt and I may just not like a 10 foot rod. It was my first 10 footer. They are a good rod for the money and the customer service/warranty is good. A good value, yes. But if you get a hold of a Scott S3s or Sage Xi2 rod I am sure you will feel the difference. For reels, I am most fond of my Ross Evolution but find the Lamson Velocity to be the best when price/quality are factored. They are fine reels at moderate prices. I started off with some combos from Cabelas and for a first time fly rod/reel, I would suggest them to anyone. Also, keep in mind the customer service/warranty from Cabelas. They will replace a broken rod with no hesitation. I have had that be the case a few times with them and never had any trouble. They send me a new rod before I even mail the broken one off. Great company. They have complete outfits (fly rod/reel/line/case) starting off at around $150-200 that would be more than adequate for anyone starting off in fly fishing. Also, later on if you decided to upgrade to a higher end outfit, the Cabelas combo would make a nice back up rod.

Default Combo for Silvers

Sage and G loomis rods. Danielsson FW reels are smooooth! The FW 4-7 reel with WF6F has 198 yds 20# backing. Change to the larger spool and it becomes a 5-8 with WF7F and 256 yds 20# backing. A very versatile reel made of aluminum and stainless steel and a waterproof silk smooth drag. In my opinion this reel will run with or out last the most expensive reels at a little over half the price. They also make the LW with a little stouter drag (great big salmon reel), HD, and a new drag control reel. No I don't sell them. I've been thru a lot of reels and
    think this is the best quality for the money. Take Care

Thumbs up Deal on Sierra Trading Post

I found a great deal at www.sierratradingpost.com the other day. They have Lamson Velocity reels for $149. These are great reels with strong drags. I have two for my 7 wt. The 8/9 model would be good for silvers (and many other fish). They also have the Powell Advantage rods for $99. My buddy got one of those for our recent float on the Goodnews. I had a $600 Scott S3 and have to admit the performance of the two were not $500 apart. The Powell rod is black, 4 piece, and comes with a hard cordura case. And has a lifetime warranty. My buddy contacted Powell before buying the rod and they said they would repair/replace the rod for $50 for the lifetime of the original owner. So for $400 you could have an 8 wt rod with two reels. That is a heck of a deal for equipment this nice. I have used both the reels and the rod and can say with certainty that it is good stuff. I am trying to resist buying them myself. Wife may blow a gasket!
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.