Thread: Reloading tips for .280

Default Reloading tips for .280

My grandson has a Ruger Model 77 Mark II in .280 Caliber 22" barrel that he wants me to reload for. To save time trying different powder/bullet combinations I am looking for input on your pet loads. He will be using it for deer/caribou sized game. I personally favor Nosler Partition bullets. Thanks in advance..

Thumbs up 280 load

very easy to reload this what powder works in the 270 and 30-06 will work in the 280.

Reloader 19 @ 54.5 with 150 gr Nosler Part or Accubond ( COL 3.330")
    54.0 with 160 gr Sierra HPBT (very accurate) COL 3.285"
    56.0 with H4831 same sierra bullet
    use Fed 210 Match Primer
    Alaska

Default 280 Loads

I have had good luck using RL 19 with 140 grain bullets, and H4831 with 150 grain bullets. The 4350's work pretty well too. If I were to pick one powder it would be RL19.

Don't own one now, but my former 280 was really proud of H4831 and Nosler 150 partitions. Sorry, but I don't remember the charge. But seat the bullet for a minimum jump to the lands, and it would really stack them.

Quote Originally Posted by TomM View Post
    I have had good luck using RL 19 with 140 grain bullets, and H4831 with 150 grain bullets. The 4350's work pretty well too. If I were to pick one powder it would be RL19.
    In 25 words or less, why do you choose RL19 as your one best go-to powder?

Thx,
    Brian

I was always a big fan of the 7mm Remington magnum, until I tried a 280. The 280 Remington is a great cartridge and it is my alternative to not using the magnum with almost equal ballistics and a little less recoil. The 280 Remington is a fine shooter with almost all bullet weights. I stick with the slower powders such as Hodgdon 4831 and Reloder 22. I’ve had very good luck with Reloder 25 and IMR 7828 as well. Magnum primers work well with these propellants. I like to think of the 280 as a 7mm magnum but without the added powder, recoil, and muzzle blast. I have lots of load data, if desired. I shoot 280AI also. Your results may vary. Timber out.

- I like all cartridges I just prefer that someone else shoots some of them.

Thumbs up accuracy

accuracy

as close as you can get to Norma Powders.......again the most accurate .........Reloader 19 in my 338 Win and 348 Win
    Reloader 22 in the 270 Win, 7mm Mag and 300 Mag
    Reloader 15 in my 308 Win, 375 Ruger and 375 HH and 22-250,
    Reloader 7 in my 45-70
    Alaska

Default Rl19

It has give me the best combination of accuracy and velocity, with most practical bullet weights (140-150 grains). It is also pretty predictable and consistent lot-to-lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Smith View Post
    I was always a big fan of the 7mm Remington magnum, until I tried a 280. The 280 Remington is a great cartridge and it is my alternative to not using the magnum with almost equal ballistics and a little less recoil.

280 Remington (7mm express, Old School cartridge name) is a fine shooter. I have the Remington Mountian Rifle. I use to use it in Montana for muleys and whitetails on the river bottoms. I think after this post I'm going to go and blow the cob webs out of her.

I use to use the Hornady 162 GR BTSP w/IMR 4350 but I can't remember the load right off hand. I know I can get the bullets to touch each other when they went through the paper at a 100 yds with a 200 Zero.

Never any problems with the Hornady Bullet....Knock critters dead each time. My wife uses the same bullet in her 7mm Rem. Mag. She has a few moose under her belt now.

7mm-08 is another great .284 shooter too!

Quote Originally Posted by TomM View Post
    It has give me the best combination of accuracy and velocity, with most practical bullet weights (140-150 grains). It is also pretty predictable and consistent lot-to-lot.
    2X - I've came to the same conclusion with RL-19 in '06 size cases.
    My current .280 deer load is 140 grain Nosler Accubond on top of 58.5 grains of RL-19 in Norma brass with Federal 210M primers. This load is a couple grains above listed max, so be sure to work up your load.

Woody

Default .280 info

Thanks for all the good info.

IMR4350 and 140gr Partitions!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by alaska bush man View Post
    accuracy

as close as you can get to Norma Powders.......again the most accurate .........Reloader 19 in my 338 Win and 348 Win
    Reloader 22 in the 270 Win, 7mm Mag and 300 Mag
    Reloader 15 in my 308 Win, 375 Ruger and 375 HH and 22-250,
    Reloader 7 in my 45-70

I agree! I use all those powders in all those calibers. RL powders are great stuff very consistant lot-to-lot. Very similar to Norma powders. I think Graf&son still has Norma, also.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default RL powders...from the horse's, er, factory's mouth...

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I agree! I use all those powders in all those calibers. RL powders are great stuff very consistant lot-to-lot. Very similar to Norma powders. I think Graf&son still has Norma, also.
    Friend sent a letter to Alliant, replied that RL22 is indeed exactly the same stuff as the old MRP.....

I am using 56 grains of IMR-4350 behind 139 grain hornady sst. Shoots under an inch at 3050fps. I am going to work something up with the 150grain Barnes TTSX If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Try RL 26 google RL 26 280 Remington loads.

I have never owned or loaded for a 7mm any thing. But, I have been around the loading bench for about 55 years. For many years RL 19 was my go to powder for the .243 and .338 Winny and the 30-06. But, I have moved beyond the mind set of the powder giving the highest velocity always being the best powder for a given load.

I now want a powder that will give the same velocity at the widest temperature range. A change in velocity could effect bullet impact at "long range" and caribou and deer often are shot at "long range".

I now prefer to use a powder that has been treated to be temperature stable, even if I give up some velocity. So I would look in that direction and Hodgdon has excellent powders in it's Extreme Line. Western has it's Ramshot powder and IMR has a couple now. H4350 is my 30-06 and .243 Winny powder now and Ramshot Hunter is my .338 Winny powder.

Powders with a burning rate like H4831 would be a good place for you to start.

I see Murphy responded to your question. You should take a hard look at his suggestions as he has much more loading experience then I do.