Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Their own story - Tunrda Trucks

Default Their own story - Tundra Trucks

OK, so the guys decided to tell their own story and release their names. Here is the link.

http://newsminer.com/2007/12/16/10454/
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 12-16-2007 at 07:53. Reason: Spelling

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Wow

Quite an interesting story. It was a bad mistake, but now they've paid their fines and fessed up and suffered the humiliation. In the long run I think it's going to do more good than harm because it's going to help teach a lot of people to think before they act.

Default The irony

How ironic, they are assigned to an Intelligence Squadron.

The public confession was the last step needed for me. I think it's time for all of us to step forward and forgive their sins, welcoming them into the club of responsible outdoorsmen. They've paid their dues, and I'm willing to bet they will be more responsible than most of us for the rest of their lives.

A peaceful and happy holiday to all of them, and I'd be proud to call them friends.

Welcome aboard!!!

I agree wholeheartedly. I like many Americans and hunters are tired of thr finger pointing and blame game. It is over, it is done.

Default Me2

Yep, lets call this one paid off. You guys remember how tight money was when we were in the service. They have been through the mill getting those trucks out and paying an ass of cash out of pocket. Now they manned up and gave there names when they didnt have to. Ah but by the grace of god, it might have been one of us in the past. Im sure one of us out there may have made a bad decision at one time or another. Its easy to sit here in the house and talk trash. Not saying they didnt deserve it, just that they took care of it. You know there gona get crap from folks who know them for years too.

Default Agreed

I agree. They told their story, released their names and fessed up to making a mistake. You have to give them credit for that. Hopefully someone else can learn from their mistakes.

If they read this: Thank you for your service to our country.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Jim in Delta View Post
    You know there gona get crap from folks who know them for years too.
    Not to mention the Air Force won't forget anytime soon the embarassment they caused, they will continue to pay, promotions will not be forthcoming anytime soon. What is done is done, let them move on with their lives.

Default Thanks, Dave!

Dave,

Thanks for posting the link.

I agree that these guys learned a valuable lesson the hard way. I can't imagine the pressure their families and others have received that had nothing to do with this. Alaskans and hunters everywhere were appropriately outraged over this incident, and sent a loud and clear message that we will not tolerate offenses like this. I cannot imagine how the military responded to this internally, but I'd bet it was pretty severe.

I say let bygones be bygones. For those having a hard time doing that, just imagine how you would feel if some of your worst mistakes made the papers, were hashed out online for months, and your name made public. It's enough.

The measure of our quality will not be in how quickly we punished wrongdoers for their misdeeds, but in how quickly we got the penitent back on their feet.

For my part, if Caleb, Tom, Mike or Dave are reading these words, I want to extend a hand of friendship and forgiveness to them. At the same time I thank them for their military service, together with their brothers and sisters in arms, deployed or at home, and offer them best wishes for the Christmas season.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default A bit of respect

is what they now have from me, that closes the deal af far as Im concerned. The fact that they have spoke up annd then owned up to everyone says something in my eyes. Its over!!

Default just my thoughts

I agree that we need to let it go--but I think some sort of mandatory training needs to be instituted for military that want to hunt alaska--or at the very least a test passed showing that they understand the rules--as there are about a million of them depending upon what area you decide to hunt. The sad thing is that the time/energy spent initially getting the trucks stuck, unstuck, they could have had the bou out, lets face it, a bou is at worst a 3 pack trip--one pack a day for 3 days.

Quote Originally Posted by gobblinfool View Post
    I agree that we need to let it go--but I think some sort of mandatory training needs to be instituted for military that want to hunt alaska--or at the very least a test passed showing that they understand the rules--as there are about a million of them depending upon what area you decide to hunt.
    Ultimately, this is not at all an issue that is just faced by military members. This story should be required reading for all hunters new to Alaska. It shows quite clearly how one or two decisions can lead to a hunt quickly unraveling into a survival situation. I don't see that knowing the rules was the primary issue here, but rather knowing their limits and the realities of how difficult and dangerous hunting in Alaska can be.

I'm impressed that the guy had the nerve to sit down for an interview.

Default more thoughts

I agree that there probably be training for all, but that will never happen--but in the military it can happen, as it is a much smaller population to control. Obviously they were over their heads, but in the end, the part that gets me as stated before--the amt of time/energy spent getting stuck/unstuck--if invested in packing meat--would have been home in about the same amout of time. No doubt, not having a game plan in advance would have helped them make better decisions.

A test to insure military members know the rules? Mandatory training? How many military members are there? Then ONE group makes a mistake based on exhaustion and weather so you make only military members undergo mandatory training and testing? I do not thing so, you are punishing a whole group of people for a mistake made under duress. They are going to do briefings on this subject to newcomers, testws aare not warrented, unless you do it to every single newcomer to Alaska.

Default ok

Life is full of past history repeating itself, as a marine CWO shared with me, the military goes thru an amazing amount of training today to cover past mistakes and make sure that they don't happen again. I don't doubt that these guys have learned from their mistakes--and I think the point of many people that have shared on this thread wasn't as much to bash as it was to make certain that it doesn't happen again in the future. I think everyone should go thru the training, but that isn't realistic, but I know that a WG/CC can make it happen if he wants to, sure people can skip out on the training, as their are loopholes, but when a situation comes up again, the WG/CC can ask, did you attain trainig that covered hunting in alaska? Seems to me that there is a bowhunter education course that is taught in alaska because of the ineptness of several during the 80s--I am betting that there are far fewer mistakes today because of this class--not saying that there aren't mistakes, just fewer.

Quote Originally Posted by SagAlaska View Post
    How ironic, they are assigned to an Intelligence Squadron.
    Well, to be fair it's "intelligence" relating to gathering information about the enemy. Very different than hunting intelligence.

Default RayfromAK

It was sarcasm, not to be taken literally.

I agree with everybody else.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I can see the $175.00 fine, and having to remove the trucks, but a $10,000.00 fine from the BLM, is wrong.

It is lunacy to think that much harm was done by digging a couple of holes in the ground, or that much expense had to be incurred by them. BLM employees would have been paid anyway, no matter what they were doing.

They were responding to public outrage, and taking vindictiveness to new heights IMO.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I was surprised they got to keep the bou meat but I guess since they didn't use the truck to transport the meat out they were in the clear on that charge. All in all I do feel that the penalties incured were more than enough to compensate for the crime commited. As for their promotion it probably won't slow them down too much at their age/rank as long as their commander doesn't make them unpromotable they will just have to score higher on the promotion test to make up for the lower promotion points from the performance report. if any of them are book smart it is likely they could promote within normal timeframe for advancement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast