Thread: Favorite ammo?

Question Favorite ammo?

What shotshells to you guys shoot?

I really don't have a favorite shotshell for waterfowl. I've had real good luck with Win Xpert BB and no. 2 and Kent Fast steel no. 2 and no. 4 out of my 870.

I have shot Rem. HD once...I had a box given to me and that stuff is amazing what no. 4's can bring em' down......I would shoot it everytime if I could afford it.

cheapest 3" #3's I can find.

I predominantly shoot Kent Fast Steel no 2's and occasionally I'll splurge on the Kent Tungsten Matrix no 4's. I usually bring some steel no 6's of whatever variety (usually the cheapest) for any wiley cripples that I have to dispatch as well. Yes, they're not always DOA even when one wields a Benelli.

If I can get my hands on them I'll shoot Kent Fasteel #2's in either 3" or 3 1/2". I prefer the 3 1/2's when I can get them, but either length flying at 1550fps out of my Beretta seems to produce the same results.........dead birds!! I usually shoot about 2.5 cases of steel a year during the season and have grown to love those shells!

Xpert steel to me ranks right down there at the bottom along with any Remington steel shot. I've had nothing but issues with both!

I've used Estate steel in the past which usually has a bad reputation and had good success. My last case that I shot this year was Estate 3" #2's in 1 1/4 loads. They worked pretty well, but I'd still opt for the Kents if given the choice.

Default Federals

I shoot Federals mainly because of the price. I never have seen a real difference shooting any type of shell. Most of the time any problems I see are mine from not shooting enough.
    I'll shoot 2 3/4" for up close and personal, and 3" for a bit longer range, geese, or late season heavily feathered birds. I seem to shoot a lot of 4 shot because I don't find many 3 shot in Federal. I will also use a lot of 2 shot.
    With that said I know I should pattern the gun, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I'm with Onelung...The cheaper the better!....mostly.

The only cheap steel I really didn't like was Fiochi flyway steel. Couldn't hit ducks for nothin' with those. I usually buy Rem. sportsman steel, or Xpert if I can find it. 3 1/2's are nice, but not worth the extra $$ in my opinion. 2 3/4 kills ducks plenty dead.

I burn thru a lot a shells in a season. No way could I afford the fancy ones!

Quote Originally Posted by Skookumchuck View Post
    I burn thru a lot a shells in a season. No way could I afford the fancy ones!
    Sure....Brag about your long season, why don't yah..

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanmoosehunter View Post
    Sure....Brag about your long season, why don't yah..
    Yeah, well, you guys are always bragging about all the moose you're shooting

I've patterned my gun and it seems to shoot the perfect outline of a duck no matter what type of shoot. However I prefer to shoot the Winchester Supremes in 3, 1 or BB. 2s don't pattern so well but the others have done the job plenty, usually shooting 2 cases when I am able to hunt a full season...not this year though...darn work.

I like to shoot Federal 2 3/4 inch #2's for ducks. They are cheap and they shoot just as well through my beretta than anything else.

For geese, I like the bisimuth #2's. I have had a lot of success bringing down some big honkers with them.

Has anybody used that new federal shell yet, I think it is called black cloud, or something like that. They are advertising it a lot on thursday, during the duck hunting shows. They say they cost as much as regular steel shot, and has some improvements to the designs. Such as the flight stopper pelets, and a different kind of wad. I am curious as to how they are working.

Quote Originally Posted by Skookumchuck View Post
    Yeah, well, you guys are always bragging about all the moose you're shooting

We only killed at least 250 birds this season....Actually....closer to 300 I'm sure.....give us a break!

This year went through 8 cases of Fasteel No.2's..... thats 2000 rds through the xtrema lol

I feel that they pattern very well out of my gun.

Bismuth 12 ga. 3 1/2" #2's and Kent 12 ga. 2 3/4 & 3" #BB's or #1 Fast STEEL-the more expensive steel don't justify the cost as my experience a goose can't tell the difference between Kent or Rems or Winch shotshell. I like to use the Bismuth on windy days or when geese are abit higher.

My BPS 10 ga. I shoot BB's or #1's in steel too.

Love to hunt geese and specks are the best over decoys. Snow geese are a 2nd and honkers last. Pretty much in that order.

regards,

# 3's for gesse they pattern the best over decoys for geese, large and small through my Beretta.
    I usually get seconds from a distributor for about nothing so what ever he sends me I shoot.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

In 10 gauge I'm using Federal Tungsten/Iron #BB for Swans and Geese. In 12 gauge I'm using Remington Hevi-Shot #2 for Swans, Geese and what few ducks I shoot. I'm mostly hunting Geese.

I shot those faststeel 3 inch #2's or #3's. I went through 2.5 cases also and they are deadly.

Default hooked up

I just bought 21 boxes of 12 ga. A couple of 2 3/4" and the rest 3" except for 2 partial boxes of 3 1/2" that I'll never use. And if I tell you what I paid you'll cry, but just guess that it was about 50% of retail if not less.
    Hey MCAT, if your friend ever needs a bottle of something special, I don't mind shooting seconds at all.

For ducks Winchester Drylock 3" #3's and for honkers Remington Hevishot 3" #4's they are expensive but even the big ones drop fast and hard.

Default pattern your gun

all i got to say is pattern your gun with differnt brands and shot size and chokes you will be supprize if you never done this before. i have pattern my 10ga 12 ga and 20 ga and fine tuned them to what choke shot size and make. its just like sightin it your rifle it will shoot one load better that the other.