Thread: 20 A Wolf

Default 20 A Wolf

I have a trapping Lic and am going on a 20A moose hunt in 13 days. With the limited daylight I was trying to figure out something to fill the dark hours with besides reading and BSing. I was thinking that some wolf hunting would do just that. Thought I would see if you guys had any suggestions as for setup and calling styles that have proven successful. Really just getting them talking would be an amazing experience! It would be cool to pay for the moose processing with the proceeds though!

I dont think youll have an issue hearing a pack or some coyotes, the best thing to do is shoot your moose and watch over the gut pile. If you have the trapping license you can use artificial light so take a portable spotlight with you, red lense preferably. As far as calling try using a coyote locater call or a snowshoe in distress or even a moose call.

Didn't think about using a moose call. I will give it a try. I have tried spotlighting yotes once but was only using a red lens on a small surfire tactical light. Any recomendations on a cheap spotling?

Anyone know of a good calf moose in distress call? I was thinking of taking a fawn bleat call and giving that a try. Anyone tried this?

Lujon,
    Crit-R-Call makes a Moose call that'd work. Sportsman's Warehouse typically has them.

http://www.critrcall.com/big_game_calls.htm

I went looking for that moose call today and was told by the salesman that it was illeagle to use a moose calf call to lure wolves. I couldn't find it in the regs does anyone know if there is any truth to it? Seems rediculous to me since you can trap them and hunt over bait...

Default What?

What is he talking about? Use it. There is nothing I have ever heard of or read of that covers using a call for wolves.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I've been looking for a moose calf call, haven't found one yet. But it is the wrong time of the year to try a calf call anyway. Wolves aren't stupid, their are no little calves this time of year anyway. By now this years calves are pretty big. They are seven months old already.

That salesman must be a wolf protectionist, it's not illegal to call wolves, with no restrictions on the calls used.

A powerful flashlite with a red lens will work, a red spotlite is better. But a gun mounted spotlite is best.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Most of the lights powerful enough to use have rechargable batteries. They usually only last for two hours at a time, so how do you recharge them. I take a small generator to the cabin with me. But the best way is to have a recharging cord that will plug into the 12v outlet of your snow machine or 4-wheeler.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"