Thread: 20 mile river hike

Question 20 mile river hike

Do any of you guys know of or used any trails to get back into the twenty mile river area.

You can go up the Winner Creek trail from Girdwood. It crosses over a pass into the 20 mile drainage. A lot of packrafters have started doing day trips where they hike up the trail from Girdwood and float the 20 Mile back out to the highway all in one day.

Yes, the trail head starts right where the tram is at alyeska resort
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Thanks

I'll check into it.

Default Resurrecting an old thread

Did a little online surfing. Looks like maybe 9 miles?

One site says it's 14, but that's gotta include the float out, right?

Here's my question - if you were to draw the permit for the 20-mile moose hunt, could you go in via the Upper Winner Creek trail carrying a kevlar canoe?

Could you float that river out to the highway in a kevlar canoe?

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 Mauser View Post

I haven't done this trip yet, but certainly plan to sometime in July. If nobody has an answer for you by then, I'll let you know what I find when I float it in my packraft.

I got it at 10 miles to river put in on my gps and then it crapped out, but all told it took 12 hours of moving time to do it, and we were moving (I do crow pass under 6 hours). Personally, I wouldn't want to carry a canoe on the Winner Creek Trail, but that's just me.

Brian,

Let me know when you're thinking of doing this trip. Maybe if I'm on my time off we can do this.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 Mauser View Post
    Here's my question - if you were to draw the permit for the 20-mile moose hunt, could you go in via the Upper Winner Creek trail carrying a kevlar canoe?

I did the hike to the pass this past weekend, though I didn't drop down the other side to the river put-in. That being said, the trail was a bit longer than I expected. With 45-50 pounds on my back, it was a solid four hours of hiking. I would say the 10 mile estimation that someone else gave it probably pretty accurate. I've never carried a kevlar canoe, but it seems like that would be pretty bulky on such a trip. Most of the trail is great, but there are a few stream/waterfall crossings with somewhat tricky footing. Doing it with a pack was fine, but carrying something of an awkward shape might not be pleasant at times.

It doesn't look like I'll have a chance to do the float out this fall, but next summer I'll try it for sure. Will report more on the other side of the pass then.