Thread: jet boating from jim river to the koyukuk

Default jet boating from jim river to the koyukuk

Is it possable to take off from the haul road from the Jim river or from the South fork of the Koyukuk and then run up the Alatna in A jet boat

People have done it. I think they bang their boats up a lot. I'm not sure if it can be done in low water situations.

How about going down the middle fork from Wiseman?
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Default Not much help here.

I've run down the Jim river and up the South fork. The South fork was a lot deeper. We had to pull our boats over shallows to get down the Jim. Once we were at the confluence there was plenty of water until it dropped 6" overnight. We had planned to go back up the Jim but knew that wouldn't happen so we went up the South fork instead. Below the confluence the water was fairly deep and easy to run.

Not much help for you but maybe a little.

should be able to but there is a huge area (Kanuti closed area) that is closed to us outsiders to moose hunting not to far down the s. fork. , running south fork down would be easier.
    running middle fork down would be no problem....alot larger river but i would guess alot further
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default zodiac?

What about running a 16 foot Zodiac down any of those rivers? I've been thinking about moose hunting there this next year.

Nimrod, all I see on the Kanuti closed area is that it is off limits to aircraft for hunting. I didn't see anything restricting hunting from boats or other means of transportation. I looked it up in the regs after having dinner over your way. Is there something I'm missing?

We are contemplating doing a trip to the Alatna via the south fork of the Koyukuk. If anybody has any more information on this route, I'd appreciate it.

inflatable????? only with jet, the kanuti and jim rivers, i would say no unless you are good at repairing them ( sharp rocks) .... long walk back to road. i'm sure it has been done but at what cost to boat condition. water level changes alot from day to day if it gets cold water levels drop fast. and i have been on those rivers during flood stage with 50 + foot trees floating down the river. middle fork would probably be fine but it is long way to hunting area if you are not bowhunting ( drawing permit area) south fork if higher water.....but that river fluctuates(sp) up and down could become tough to get back.
    JEROD-unless it has changed the Kanuti controlled use area is only open for moose hunting to local residents ....i do not see it in the regs ( on a quick look) so it is either in federal hunting regs or they have changed it.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Thanks, I'll do some more digging and I plan to give the area biologist a call in the near future. I hadn't seen anything on drop hunts or float hunts in the area, but I figured it was hard enough access to begin with that most people wouldn't try it.

We've been on the South Fork with the big floaters in flood stages before, it turns into a pretty hairy river. It can also freeze overnight and get you stranded out there. Not a river for the faint of heart, and you'd better go there with an alternative exit strategy.

Default Kanuti

Kanuti Control use area is under Federal Regulations . Most of unit 24B are draws . Drawing dead line was over two weeks ago . I would like to get lucky and draw 24 D or even 24 C . Next year .

Default Water Levels

Be careful if you scout these rivers in summer/ early fall and then return later to hunt, totally different river when the temp drops. I was out this year on one those rivers you're talking about. Water dropped 1' in about 5 days. What looked like riffles/rapids on the way down was a pinball game of boulders on the way up. Be ready for 100 yd sections of < 6" water, lots of down trees and tons of boulders!!! Be ready to jump some gravel bars....and hang on!! We were getting ice on the edges of the river and all slack water was frozen. Day after we came out it snowed a few inches.....love AK weather!

A lot of our trip resembled the 20Mile videos that have been getting posted on here... airboats definitley outnumber us jetboaters up there. Lots of broken boat trailers up there last year too.

Most of the people who hunt up there have been doing so for quite a while and seeing as the gap between 20B (outside corridor) and 20A isn't very big, that doesn't leave a lot of area to hunt. Don't expect to be welcomed....just a heads up. I had no problems, but ran into some less than friendly folks when getting ready to launch.

AK_BigO