Thread: Rex Trail Snow

Default Rex Trail Snow

I heard that Denali has good snow now. So how is the Rex Trail area for snow machining and hunting?

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Wife is looking at me crazy cause I let out a woooohoooo when I read the title of this post....Then I read the rest and now I am all excited and hoping for a confirmation. My cousin got the hitch fabed up for his yamaha apex and mine should be done next weekend. Just 13 days till my winter moose hunt. so much to do...Still praying for SNOW!

Friends hunted it last week and said there was about 4". Definitly doable but maynot be the most comfortable ride. they went 3 for 3.

OK we've had about 4" of snow streatched out over the last week, here in North Pole. Usually the foot hills get a little more than we do.

Scratch that! Just got a call from a friend in Anderson. He said they have a foot of snow now down there. He is not sure of the trail conditions, but with that much snow there is enough to at least get around.

Knowing the trail, I think it will be passiable. Even tho they got a foot of snow, heavy use will have kept the trail from smoothing out very much. Just be careful, watch for the ruts and don't try running it after dark, if you can help it. If you do be real careful, there is some real nasty holes you can drive off into coming out. And if you hit them with a little speed, towing a sled it could get real nasty fast. Remember take your time going in and out, if in doubt get off and take a look ahead. Watch for the ruts they will throw you. The over flow on the river will be refroze by now and should be easy crossing. The second river will have refroze also since I was in there Thanksgiving.

OK, I'm a wuss, I plan on three hours to go the 27 miles from the highway to the second river. In the spring after the trail has been drug and is in good shape, I will make that run in 45 minutes. The next 8 miles to Gold King, usually takes me 15 to 45 minutes. Depending on temp and conditions. We usually camp at Fish Creek, St George Creek or Bonifield Creek. Take a map since you don't know where those places are.

In November, the Moose were yarding up. Therefore you are going to find them in groups.

Default Descent Conditions

A buddy and I went Saturday. The trail was in pretty good shape as far as snow is concerned. There are two really bad stretches in the trail, not sure exactly where but you will know when you get to them. I went 4 times last year and it seems the trail is rougher this year. When you start getting into the rough spots just take your time, there are a couple of craters that will cause much damage to both machine and rider if going too fast.
    Both the Totatlanika and Tatlanika are frozen with some overflow on the Tatlanika (second crossing), no issues there.

We did not go very far back after getting into zone 4 and got skunked. Saw one other party of 3 hunters who did not see anything. Good luck to all who are heading that way!

Thanks for the heads up this is all pretty good news. Hopefully we will get another foot or so to realy smooth out the trail. I am heading up on the 28th for 5-6 day hunt...BRRRRRRR...

Just a heads up, it's 35 below tonight. Expecting -40 tomorrow night. Need to keep up with the temp. You don't want to come up here if it's below -20, too hard to get around, and definately too cold to sleep out.

I have a tent and stove do you as long as it is over -20 durring the day I should be ok. I also have a -15* sleeping bag and a heavy weight fleece liner that should add another -10* to -15* to the rating. I am worried about the sled starting though. I am thinking about getting a small catalytic heater to put under the cowling for a half hour or so before startup. Thanks for the heads up I sure would like warmer temps -20 will make butchering a nightmare!

Snow Flurries tomorrow, not sure how much expected. Also by next thursday it is expected to warm up to near zero. That will be nice.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    Snow Flurries tomorrow, not sure how much expected. Also by next thursday it is expected to warm up to near zero. That will be nice.
    Good news I will keep praying it seems to be working! I should be unloading next Friday about 930 am.

LuJon: When you unload at Clear Sky, look for a brown F-350 with a wolf in the cross hairs on the door. If the truck is there, I'll be down there. Maybe we will run into one another. I'll be riding a new Ski Doo SWT.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

I hope to see you I will be running a red artic cat 1m and my cousin will have a blue yamaha apex mountain. Save some moose for us!

I won't be hunting Moose, so they are all yours. I will be looking for predators.