Thread: dog feed

Default dog feed

i have a german shorthaired point. Hes 2 and a half and in excelent shape. I exercise him daily and feed him iams. Im just wondering whats others feed there dogs. IM looking at science diet they seem to have a lot more going for them. so what do you guys feed your dogs and what amount?

Default good question, but not simple

We talked somewhat about dog food in an earlier thread. Basically it goes like this. Food is either formulated as a fixed ingredient diet or not. Iams is not. That means they can and do change the formula at will regardless of what the list of ingredients say. But then so do all manufacturers. Otherwise they would go the extra step and register all products as fixed formulas.
    I will not poke at Iams, or any other manufacturer. Suffice it to say there is a lot more to animal food than most people understand. AAFCO sets the standards for all animal food in America. But they do make it easy for manufacturers to not stick with the formulas they have on the bags. Normally testing by AAFCO is done infrequently at best.
    After our previous thread discussion I contacted a manufacturer that was highly touted by some dog owners on this forum. After several letters back and forth I did get answers, but what I got certainly did not make me feel comfortable with that product.
    I feed Science Diet and have for years. I find the food to be well researched, consistent, and formulated to provide my dogs with everything they need.
    I won't try to sell anybody on a specific type of food. But do yourself and your dog a favor and contact the manufacturer and ask questions like:
    How is the food registered?
    Who are the nutritionists that developed and continue to research the food?
    Where is the laboratory and/or facilities for testing?
    How is testing conducted?
    Are the tests results available?
    Is manufacture of food products outsourced? If so, to whom?
    These are just a few. Yes, it takes some time to do, and even more time to get answers that make sense. What I do know after years of looking into food products is when somebody is uncomfortable answering questions and attempt to "beat around the bush".
    I have been co-oping dog food for roughly 15 years. I started with Iams/Eukanuba products, changed to another manufacturer (that by the way we found that they can not sell in TX), went back to I/E, and when Proctor Gamble bought them and problems developed, we did more investigation and switched to SD. I have been using the same food for over 9 years with no issues.
    One of the most knowledgable canine nutritionists in Fairbanks is Dr. Dee. I do not know who to talk with in ANC. Remember, not all vets are experts in this area. I would ask that question point blank, and ask them for a referrral.
    That's a start. I wish you the best, and if you get stuck just holler.

I'll put my $.02 here. My last lab was fed Iams almost her whole life. Right up until the time she started to develop incontinence problems (MAN, that pissed the spousal unit off!). When we brought her to the vet, an unltrasound showed that sediment (essentially ash) had filled her bladder half full - we watched it slosh back and forth on the ultrasound! We switched her immediately to Science Diet, and she was fed that until her last day. My labs now only get Science Diet, and even though it's more expensive, it seems to do the job very well. As long as I watch their caloric intake and continue to execute the family members who try to feed them people food, they do very well on the SD (e.g. no fat labs!). We even have one lab on the "Sensitive Skin" variant to try and help out with a persistent dry skin/itching problem that we haven't solved yet.

Cheers,

SH

I have 2 labs, yellow male 4 years old, black female 2 years old. The male started out on science diet but he always seem to have loose bowel movements. Switched him to Iams large breed, and has been fine since. He was 7 months old when I switched him. The female had the same problem, we had won a years supply of science diet right after I got her, and she seems to have the same problem. Not pushing Iams here, just seems what my labs prefer. Both are very active and healthy, the male is 82 lbs, female 70 lbs. The breeder where I bought both dogs uses science diet for all his labs. So could be what some labs digest. My vet says as long as they are healthy she would keep them on what they eat. BTW mine DO NOT get people food at all. But I might be interested in an ultrasound test to see if that is happeniong to them. Again just my .02 worth.

Default not a salesman

Hopefully I can convince some of you to look further into the rules and regulations surrounding the manufacture of animal feed. If I can, I feel confident that some of you feeding food that is not registered as a fixed formula diet will change.
    Eukanuba, Pro Plan, and Science Diet are just 3 that are fixed formula to the best of my knowledge. Certainly there are more.
    When people tell me their dogs are doing ok on the food they are feeding, I have to ask by what measurement do they make that claim? Renal failure for example is not noticeable externally until it is too late normally, yet renal failure can be caused by food.
    A good canine nutritionist is worth their weight. I wish I was better at dissimenating information, but I only know what I have read, been trained, or have experience with.

I feed my Chocolate lab Female Euk Sporting. My son feeds his GSP ProPlan Performance. My preference for the Euk is in the teeth. Can't be any cleaner. We keep them on these diets year round, varying the amount as needed for level of work.

http://www.dancindogproductions.com/...ead.php?t=9559

This link has a lengthy discussion that is worth the read.

Default Kirkland brand adult small kibble in chicken formula

My dog is german terrier, pretty high energy but not as bad as the jack russel terriers. I free feed her. She is built like a tank and the vet says she is very healthy and fit. Also she said my dog is very muscular for her size. The vet had nothing bad to say about kirkland food. My sister in law breeds australian shepards. She has one dog that is or was 2nd in the nation. Other that are pretty high up there. Her dogs get kirkland food. Part of why I switched, actually went from puppy food to kirkland. I guess keep your dog check ups current and do tests if you prefer to pay them. But I think it all up in the air. Our dogs we had at home in Indiana got the cheapest stuff and they were healthy. So don't really know what to tell ya.

Default once you go....

Canidae brand youll never go back. I feed my male choc (90lbs) 2cups morning 2 cups evening. Canidae lamb and rice. Check it out.
    Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.

A few things folks leave out when considering a food is waste and stress. Most of us have inside dogs we simply let out each day to do their business, so cleanup is not an issue. But if it was, you'd appreciate the differences in some feeds. Cheaper ingredients used as fillers offer nothing other than bulk, and pass right thru the dogs.
    Dogs in a day to day routine can do well on about any food, but those facing mental and physical stresses of training need something more. A NFL lineman could survive on cornflakes 3x a day, but performance would eventually suffer.
    I usually keep between 12-20 dogs here, and initially was on Euk simply because they delivered and getting Pro PLan required a 3 hr drive. When they changed the formula and said they didn't, I began making the drive for Pro Plan. Every dog has done great on this product, when in the past I would have the occasional coat and digestive problem. Cleanup is a breeze, simply hosing out a tootsie roll 1-2 times a day.
    New dogs coming in are required to bring some of their food to allow a gradual transfer to Pro Plan, and there is always an improvement in amount of stool (less) and coat appearance.
    The cost is high, but you've got good R&D, quality control, packaging, and freshness. I know my food hasn't been sitting in a humid warehouse somewhere for the past 6 mos.
    I have to drive too far, and pay too much-but seeing the results makes it worth it.

Default up front cost

GetaLab says that the cost of good food, in this case ProPlan, is high. Initially that may be true, but in the long run it is not. Long term care of dogs starts with good breeding, nutrition, and environment. The better you start out with, the cheaper costs will be in the long run. And , is there anything more fun than a mature healthy dog?
    I have yet to see a cost analysis on what cheap food means to long term health costs, but my perception is that it can be considerable. ProPlan is a registered fixed forumula diet.
    I have been running a dog food co-op in FAI for over 16 years. Typically we save 30% off of retail. I only have a few people that are in my co-op now, and am not interested in working harder to expand as my costs are set regardless if I buy more food or not. The Fairbanks Retriever Club has modeled their co-op after mine. You folks should get together and contact distributors to see what kind of deal you can make.