Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why don't transporters write on this forum?

Default Why don't transporters write on this forum?

I'm not sure that I have ever seen a thread or reply by a Transporter! Why don't they answer questions that people have on here or can they? It would be nice if one of them had time to do that now or then.

Talking there's no point...

avalanche has all the answers...nobody else has his grasp of the issues.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post
    I'm not sure that I have ever seen a thread or reply by a Transporter! Why don't they answer questions that people have on here or can they? It would be nice if one of them had time to do that now or then.
    They could; boathunter is a transporter and he has been doing it for 16 years!
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...cons/icon1.gif

Then there is homerdave.........he is planning to get his transporter license and if he doesn't have the answer he knows where to get it.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/member.php?u=905

And guides; http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...cons/icon1.gif
    Last edited by Brian M; 12-16-2007 at 22:53. Reason: negative comments - 2nd edit to fix previous error

I'm with dave on this one. Why post when avalanche knows all and bashes commercial operators (the bull system) regularly.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default I'll join

with dave and martentrapper opinion on this one. Just don't ask and ye shall receive.

Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post

Not everyone who hunts or everyone who is a player in the hunting industry in Alaska spends much time on hunting forums. Most transporters dont need help advertising either, the last thing they want is their phones ringing off the hook from res and non-res alike asking a million questions. They already get plenty of that.

In addition as I have said before I think that the internet has done plenty of damage already to so much of our hunting, folks are giving out way too much information as it is.

Another vote with Dave I'm not currently guiding , taking a break too raise my son, but I'm completely fed up with those who bash guides. If ya don't like the system work to change it, don't bash guides who have no choice but too work within the system. Belligerence serves no one and your point of view is completely lost because of it. Healthy debate without name calling or YELLING is the only way a free exchange of ideas can take place.
    Avalanche you may have some valid points but they are completely lost because of your delivery of them!

OK Brian that's off my chest feel free to delete this and I look forward too your PM.

[In addition as I have said before I think that the internet has done plenty of damage already to so much of our hunting, folks are giving out way too much information as it is.[/QUOTE]

I agree, loose lips sink ships.

Gotta love how guides live with a system they've manipulated and tweaked to their advantage. Don't be surprised if more people begin to "work to change the system". (I think the "guides" can take off the halo now. )

Tim

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by pa18tony View Post
    ....In addition as I have said before I think that the internet has done plenty of damage already to so much of our hunting, folks are giving out way too much information as it is.
    I agree, loose lips sink ships.
    Guides have been advertising for eons, now huge corporations like Cabela's are booking for them, and now folks exchanging information on the internet is sinking ships?

Default Information age

Welcome to the information Age, heck I have internet on my phone. But I think they said the same thing when they built the A & P railroad. These are the good old days of tommorow and we cant stop change, so we better unite to at least lay the ground work for tommorow. Do you think Cabelas cares about our resources or about the ol' mighty dollar the most? Everyone wants to blame someone else, I think its like my mother said "your either part of the problem or solution". And all the name calling and negative personal comments are not helping anything. We have lost numerous real good sources of information over the years because of the attacks. Lets not make this personal, we have the right to free speech and to offer our opinions, but lets keep it productive.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Guides have been advertising for eons, now huge corporations like Cabela's are booking for them, and now folks exchanging information on the internet is sinking ships?
    The guide situation is just one animal that needs tamed, this forum and others though great to exchange infomation is way tooo easy in the way of giving folks way too much information. Look how many guys log on here, dont even live in Alaska and Alaskan hunters give them a detailed how to , who to use, where to go, and **** near spoon feed guys a step by step on how to hunt up here from air charters to cargo carriers for meat and capes.And then we discuss increased hunting pressure on a regular basis???? Its great to think your being of great help to someone but how many other people view that information. When I moved to Alaska there was no internet and if you asked someone where a good place to hunt was they would tell you in the woods! I have no regrets that I had to learn my own way with just a wee bit of info from a few new found friends I was very successful because of my drive and initiative. Killed all kinds of good stuff and learned a lot. This spoon fed internet answers and info makes for too much info available at folks fingertips. Therefore increasing pressure as well as heartache to those that have been doing a particular style of hunting for many years only to have lots of company because some bozo decided to tell all he's learned hunting up here after he left and in a public forum no less. I like spending time on this forum and others simply because I love hunting and though I have helped gusy out over the years, I am very cautious in what I say in open forum that should be directed to a PM only for the individual I wish to share that info with. I dont believe in making things easy for folks as the reward for success is far less received. I also have a great deal of consideration for those that hunt the same area that I have.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Originally Posted by Mark
    The guide situation is just one animal that needs tamed....
    Well, it has been better than a half century, and that critter is as wild and dangerous as ever.

.....this forum and others though great to exchange infomation is way tooo easy in the way of giving folks way too much information. Look how many guys log on here, dont even live in Alaska and Alaskan hunters give them a detailed how to , who to use, where to go, and **** near spoon feed guys a step by step on how to hunt up here from air charters to cargo carriers for meat and capes.And then we discuss increased hunting pressure on a regular basis????.....
    On the first trip I took to the Koyukuk River there was a pair of fellows from Wisconsin that we met at Galena on our way out. They had gotten the raft from an outfitter, flew into Huslia, and floated an unguided hunt. We saw them floating the Koyukuk in a large raft when we were on our way in. We had bagged several moose and a beautiful black bear on that trip.

While talking to these guys in Galena I was absolutely astounded when they told me that they never even saw a moose their whole trip! I couldn't believe it! The moose were running around like mice in the grass!

Telling someone where to go and even how to do it doesn't mean they can do it. The same effect can be seen in our school systems, and throughout society.

On the other hand, guides do everything for their clients, including (sometimes) applying the final, killing shot.

That's why guided hunters have much greater success rates........

....This spoon fed internet answers and info makes for too much info available at folks fingertips.....
    There have always been numerous "how to" books and magazines available on hunting and fishing in Alaska. This is just a small sample of them. They go back to the beginning of the 20th Century. This internet exchange of information isn't new. It's just different.

....Therefore increasing pressure as well as heartache to those that have been doing a particular style of hunting for many years only to have lots of company because some bozo decided to tell all he's learned hunting up here after he left and in a public forum no less......
    There's only one way to keep a honey hole free of competition:

1) Never, ever bring anyone there, and
    2) Keep your mouth shut

Of course, that means doing the whole hunt yourself..........

Default I disagree

I disagree Mark, you put thousands of hunters in an area and they are going to kill alot of animals. Some might not know what they are doing, some will and some will have luck on their side. But, they have and will to cause alot of damage to the huntable populations of Game.

Also, you cant compare todays information to information of yesteryear. Use to be spread by work of mouth or thru books, like Mike's that is now just coming out after years. If someone goes hunting and puts the details on line within days maybe thousands of people will read it. Its much easier these days, you hope on a jumbo jet and your in alaska in 8 hours from the lower 48, then hop on another commericial flight and your now in None. Gear is much better and lighter, optics has really advanced in just the last 30 years. It,s just plain alot easier to access Alaska these days. Plus, people have more recreation money than they did just 20 years ago. In the old days people would come on a guided hunting trip and take months. Today it takes maybe 2 weeks at most.

We hunters and guides must change together to use these limited resources.
    Terry
    Last edited by Terry; 12-17-2007 at 13:21. Reason: gramar

I agree with some of what your saying but I read threads on here daily where a guy asks can someone tell me of air charter that could take me to X river and the next thing you now there the entire history of a pilot. What name he used to fly under, who replaced him where to stay in Kotz and how to behave. Its not the same as reading How to Float hunt Alaska. There no holds barred on how much info is released in open firum to some. And how many times do you see a guy chime in mid thread with interest in doing the same thing? Those most guily of this are those that either A) figure that because they no longer hunt there or B) dont even live in this state anymore feel compelled to spell out everything they can on a given hunt in a given place. Hey it is what it is and it aint gonna stop but its definately done quite a bit more harm than good thats for sure. This applies not only to non-res but the 1000's of new residents to Alaska each year that are a bit internet saavy. Its like Ebay, remember when hardly anyone knew about ebay and now its like every american household shops on ebay. If you build it....they will come. Just food for thought!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I disagree Mark, you put thousands of hunters in an area and they are going to kill alot of animals......
    I query harvest records to the extreme. There is no area with "thousands of hunters", and the areas where it comes close (moose, Little Su and Pt. McKenzie, TC566 in the Nelchina Basin) it's residents who make up the high numbers.

....But, they have and will to cause alot of damage to the huntable populations of Game.....
    My experience is that it's Alaskan residents overhunting specific areas, and that's because those areas are the "pockets" left over after all the other accessible areas have been closed off or had access limited.

....Also, you cant compare todays information to information of yesteryear. Use to be spread by work of mouth or thru books, like Mike's that is now just coming out after years.....
    I was reading about multi-species hunts in the Oshetna region as a kid in magazines like "Outdoor Life", "Sports Afield", and "Alaska Sportsman" in the early 1960's. Couldn't wait to get here, and came just days after my 18th birthday in 1974.

What did I find?: Caribou and moose population crashes, commonly blamed on overhunting by.............Anchorage residents, not "outsiders" who read magazines and books.

The same is true today. Our family tends to take other family members from Outside hunting with us because we found that when we took Alaskan friends, they'd buy a boat and be up there with other drunken friends of theirs the very next year. It compounded.

Luckily I kept the local honeyholes secret..................

.....I someone goes hunting and puts the details on line within days maybe thousands of people will read it. Its easier and people have more recreation money than they did just 20 years ago.

We hunters and guides must change together to use these limited resources. .....
    No, thanks.

The more people I send to the Koyukuk region (where the locals work incessantly to kick me out) the better.

I'll keep my local, inexpensive hunts secret. No friends invited to those.......

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    .....Those most guily of this are those that either A) figure that because they no longer hunt there or B) dont even live in this state anymore feel compelled to spell out everything they can on a given hunt in a given place......
    I'm guilty as charged.

When Koyukuk moose politics got ugly, I marketed the place hard. I hope the whole world shows up there.

The first year I went up there I caught a 65" bull. It was (and still is) the biggest bull of my life. And the moose hunting up there is still outstanding. The family got a 71" bull a couple of years ago.

My family told me that I was to tell nobody where we got that moose. So, when I got back to town and people asked, I told them I got it in Ezi Slough near Palmer.

The next year a couple of friends nearly killed themselves in a canoe trying to get in there.

Idiots.

It didn't matter. The knowledge got out. The locals on the Koyukuk system have been fighting non-locals for decades there.

Look what it has gotten them.

Daniel Boone, Crazy Horse, Chief Joseph, Sitting Bull, and Geronimo prove that the problem isn't the Internet..........

I'm as guilty as anyone of providing info on where and how to hunt. I figure I got helped when I was a newbie, so I should pass on the help to other newbies, even to non-res. I'm aware of the potential for getting too many hunters into an area, but I see that as somewhat inevitable. I'm just one cog in the gears of info available to guys wanting info on hunting in alaska.
    So alaskacub..........I guess you got criticism for the hunt planners too........like strahan and bartlett?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    I'm as guilty as anyone of providing info on where and how to hunt. I figure I got helped when I was a newbie, so I should pass on the help to other newbies, even to non-res. I'm aware of the potential for getting too many hunters into an area, but I see that as somewhat inevitable. I'm just one cog in the gears of info available to guys wanting info on hunting in alaska.
    So alaskacub..........I guess you got criticism for the hunt planners too........like strahan and bartlett?
    Well; as for who else to criticize, lets not leave out the charter dudes, and Alaska Airlines, Frontier, Pen-Air............

And our powerful congressional delegation...........pork barrel? funding for infrastructure. The pipeline?

Unless you want to drag in gear manufactures like North Face yada yada...

And then there is Matthew's bows and Remington arms.........

Cessna and duckworth piper and thunderjet........

imo. If it were not for access.........all this would be irrelevant. How easy it is to get to the bush from anywhere in the world in 12-24 hours.

Access is here to stay. Unless you can change that and save game by making more areas non motorized. That is the only way to keep out large numbers of people. But to many hunters today are lazy and don't want to have to walk into the good hunting areas. I seen it in PA and in Maine. Once ATV's or any motorized instrument of travel can get in the flood gates are open. Areas I used to walk into for good whitetail hunting in PA are now criss crossed with ATV trails and the deer are gone. At least the large land owners of northern Maine have forbid ATV's from their 4 million acres of land. Hunters still have to work for their deer there.

Also, the internet is no different then the old magazine stories of the pre early 90's. I know back in the 80's as soon as a story came out about hunting in an area I guided in in Maine my phone would ring off the hook and I would get a bunch of letters through snail mail. Same thing as the internet just slower.
    If you take the woods out of the woodsman you have nothing left but a man in the woods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast