Thread: Seating Barnes Triple-X

Default Seating Barnes Triple-X

I find with the Barnes Triple-X, when I seat the bullet it isn't as smooth as with other bullets, I think because of the grooves in the bullet. Is it okay to put a small amount of lube around the side of the base of the bullet before seating? Will that effect the powder in the case? The manual suggests putting lube on the inside of the neck of the case if needed, but I have more control over amount of lube if I apply it to the bullet. What's best?

Quote Originally Posted by .325or8mm View Post
    I find with the Barnes Triple-X, when I seat the bullet it isn't as smooth as with other bullets, I think because of the grooves in the bullet. Is it okay to put a small amount of lube around the side of the base of the bullet before seating? Will that effect the powder in the case? The manual suggests putting lube on the inside of the neck of the case if needed, but I have more control over amount of lube if I apply it to the bullet. What's best?
    I lube the inside area of the case only when sizing, and then remove all traces of lube.

What you want to do is to chamfer the case's mouth before sitting a bullet.

I would not lube the bullet or the case. What would you use? Bear grease? Beef tallow? Mazola oil? Vasoline? Case lube? We always make efforts to get the case lube out of the case because it could have an effect on the powder. I think for those bullets, the mouth of the case needs to be flared, or belled slightly to allow the little rings to slip in without shaving copper. (If you can't do that with just chamferring the case mouth.) We can't really do that without a special expander.

The straight rifle type expander ball doesn't flare. RCBS makes a series of calibers of handgun style (straight cases) expanders. I think they are for cast bullets in rifles. I see one listed here in a Graf catalog as RCBS39827 (.323) I think that's the complete assemply, body, rod, plug and nut. You need the Body die (won't work in standard rifle die) and rod. RCBS39800 (Body), RCBS39801 (Rod) and the RCBS39875 (Plug). The body and rod can be used for any caliber then just add expander plugs as needed. They also list one for 321 RCBS39873 (plug).

They have a straight shank of correct diameter then they flare at the top and are made to flare the case mouth more and more the deeper you push them. That has worked well for me when seating these (I mainly use north Fork) types of bullets. I never knew Barnes recommended lubing the case but I can tell you I do not. I think these will work for you if you have to use those bullets. (How's that Doc?) Are you stuffing these in to a 325 or other 8mm, or did I just assume that?

Oh, yeah, you'll have to take this flare out of the case mouth after seating the bullet to correct depth. Just use the seating die with seating stem screwed up and with the crimping ring in the die adjust to suit taste.
    Last edited by Murphy; 12-15-2007 at 18:41. Reason: Still learning to type
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Triple shock length

I know that the X bullets were long for weight due to them being all copper and wondered if the material removed on the Triple shocks by the grooves make them necessarily a little longer? That would invade powder space that much more. Has anyone checked the comparative length between the two? Doesn't matter really, since the X bullet has pretty much been phased out by the TSX, but just curious. I do think the performance of these bullets outweighs any minor difficulties due to their construction.

I've loaded a few of these bullets in the past couple of months, and was very pleased with them. I have trimmed my brass, and I then lighly chamfered the case mouths to remve any burrs.

If there is no deformation of the case mouth, I wouldn't worry about it very much.

I absolutely would not allow any lube to get into contact with the powder at all.

Default Thanks again everyone

I probably need to chamfer the inside of the case more to get a good seat, I did not know about the expander for the case. Thanks again for the assist, when I have something come up with loading that I'm not sure about, I post before I load, and find out the best solution. Hope everyone is having a great holiday season.

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    I know that the X bullets were long for weight due to them being all copper and wondered if the material removed on the Triple shocks by the grooves make them necessarily a little longer? ...
    Has anyone checked the comparative length between the two? ...
    The difference between a 180-grain TSX and a 180-grain Kodiak (in .308) is .105". That's lead vs. copper for you.

The difference between a TSX and an original X is negligible.

Lengths of quite a lot of .308 bullets were posted in this thread.

Thumbs up dry lube

RCBS Dry lube.......but if I prep my brass correctly I do not use dry lube.

I like the RCBS or Lyman VLD Chamfer works great!
    Alaska

Talking Seating Barnes Triple-X

Hi folks, this is my first post. I have done some reading on here, but fairly active on a couple other forums, so haven't logged too much time on here until today.
    Whatever you do, please don't put any lube in a case when seating, unless it's dry formica, or some other reloading specific dry powder lube. In any case, (no pun intended), you don't need to lube for the Barnes TSX, or bell the mouths as was suggested in one post. However, chamfering the case is a darn good idea when loading for ANY bullet. Any loading manual worth $2.00 will talk about that, and explain how. Most of the reloading suppliers will also have the tool or tools needed for that, and even Sportsmans has them if I remember right. It's normal for the Barnes TSX to feel lumpy, or catchy when seating them, and you aren't going to hurt anything. Your dealing with a copper bullet going into a brass case, which fits into a chromoly steel chamber. If my file got inserted correctly, you should see a neat group I fired with my Remington CDL in 35 Whelen using Barnes 225 Grain TSX's. A friend of mine who is an often reader on here witnessed that group, so no smart-alecky remarks about me being 6 feet from the target. I was every bit of 12 feet away..just kidding.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Whelen', thats a great group!!!! What kind of custom work did you hae done to the CDL?

Ripnlip, that particular rifle has nothing other than a HS Precision stock. I plan on getting rid of that too because it's too dang heavy to carry for me. I have a bad back from a car accident and can't carry as much as i used to.

Ripnlip, that rifle is bone stock except for the HS Precision stock. I was planning on some blueprinting and improving the chamber, but might not mess with it.

I loaded up some 62 TSX into brass that was chamfered. I could feel the grooves as the bullets were pushed into the case; kind of a slide, jerk; slide, jerk; slide. Chambered and shot fine. I just took it as the nature of the grooved bullets. I use lube to size and then clean it all off before the loading process begins.