Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small game arrow heads

Default Small game arrow heads

Just wondering if You guys have a preference in small game arrow heads. My friend swears by his it has three small wire hoops coming out of a center head looks kinda like the bottom of a basket.

They call that the snaro.

Quite frankly IMHO it's junk ! I say that lightly, but it sure hasnt lasted very long for me and the results I had were quite questionable.

For grouse my buddy's found a killer system. Devastating is more like it. They've dubbed it "the wrecking ball".

The jist of it is, a 357 case (or steel blunt) with a large HTM rubber blunt over it. IF you use the 357 case, nock the rim off with a file or sander or you'll blow the blunt out.

There is something to this system that is just hellaciously deadly on birds more so then anything I've tried yet. Most of my fall was spent chasing birds. Broadheads to field points and almost everything in between (snaros, judos, hex blunts, steel blunts, bh's with scorpios, game nabbers, home made game heads of to many designs to bother telling, and a host of others I've chosen to forget). By far and large this head works and works very well!

The hex blunt did well also.

The only head I can think of I havent used that I've wanted to was the magnus blunt with the blade on it. It seems like a decent head, but then I question it's effectiveness by design. I'm sure it'll work well, and I'll get to giving it a test drive sooner or later. But for now my choice is obvious.

For hares, a straight up large HTM rubber blunt and head shots is plenty. For birds, dont shoot without that case or blunt underneath! I've had birds not move, twitch or otherwise show dead if you will.

Is the weight? The HIGH foc? who knows but the results speaks volums

Default small game

My vote is for the screw in rubber bludgeons. I have not used them on hares, but for squirrels and birds, they are hard to beat for the price. I think you can find them locally for 1 or 2 dollars each.

Here is what they look like.

http://www.redmondoutdoors.com/Bludg...P3916C627.aspx

Jake

Thanks again guys off to get some work done

Default A homemade blunt?

I remove the field tip and mount a washer and replace the tip. Works wonderful.Started doing this about 6 years ago and love the results.

Default Judos

I just use judo points for two reasons: they kill efficiently, and I love not having to look forever for my arrows after the shot. I'll even shoot grouse in trees and as long as there is another tree behind the bird, I'll usually always find my arrow falling straight down. The judos have worked on fox, squirrels, grouse, ptarmigan, and rabbits (all with quick killing ability). They're pretty cheap too ($5-6 for a pack of 3) and they come in the same weight as your field tips (100-125 gr). Give 'em a try if you'd like. Good Luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default home builts

I second the washer and field tip combo. I find 60 gr field points, and washers that are about 3/4" OD. The over all weight should come in close to 125gr.
    If you use too big of a washer the front end of the arrow seems to get pulled a bit. Maybe like the washer is acting like a wing. But I am cheap, and all the other stuff seemed like too much money to me.
    I have yet to lose one in moss as they stop pretty quickly due to the large frontal area.

I think I'll field test a few and let you guys know what I think. Thanks again for everyone's help and Nice pics Cast&Blast! Hopefully I'll have some similar ones to share soon.

I have to agree with Cast&Blast judo points are the way to go they are the same weight as your regular tips and stand up when they go into the ground so you don't lose them

I LIKE JUDO POINTS OR G5 SGH BOTH WORK WELL G5 SEEM TO NOT BE AS DURABLE WHEN ROCKS ARE FOUND. SURE NOT HAPPY WHEN I LOOSE ONE OF THEM.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Post Judos for me...

they're on my Christmas list. I love them, they're great for recovery. Just my two cents.

Judo's don't always come down out of trees when shooting at squirrels. Mark the tree and the wind will get them done eventually, usually. Other than that they are great. (Squirrels are a lot smaller than they look!!!)

If your shooting traditional archery. I guess it totally depends on your set up. The trad wold seems to curse judo points but my openion on that is that half the guys shooting trad shoot for the wrong reason and 30% of the guy are way UNDER bowed. I shoot a 57lb longbow and love Kondor and Judo points. kondot points for birds and judo points for bunnies. back in my compound years judopoints were the choice for all small game. I carried a few rubber blunts just in case there were grouse in the tree though.

Here is a picture of how effective kondor points are. Oh by the way thats my recurve bow not my longbow.

Yes I did shoot those ducks in the air over decoys. Some of you gusy may recognise me from the Refuge and the Flats I did though have a shotguning parter who played clean up. Only one duck needed a finishing off though.

Ducks are tough but a kondor point is tougher

Oh by the way this picture is several years old by now.

another kondor point victom.... Kondor points + flu flu = shooting in deep snow

Ptarmigan and Rabbits brought to you by the kondor head

The kondor point is basically a judo point on steroids.

The trad wold seems to curse judo points but my openion on that is that half the guys shooting trad shoot for the wrong reason and 30% of the guy are way UNDER bowed.

I really need to hear the shooting trad for the wrong reason theory. Sorry I've been at this for awhile too and it sure makes me wonder how many got away with those kondors. I'm sure the story is none, but the reality of the matter is, that is extremely unlikely. We both are small game hunters by and large. We've both shot a lot of them, I know my experiences and those who tend to be small game guys too. I started at 55lbs, have gone up to 68lbs for an actually hunting bow but tend to stick just a few poinds more then you. I order at 60 and at my draw they are usually 62 or 63. Kondor's or judos are not coming out of my bows for small game. Definatly a NO for birds without hesitation. Even a regular blunt is a no on birds no question.

Nice wingshooting though. I've seen those pics before over on tg I believe it was Frank?

I've tried a few, but for me it's the Judo from my trad bows. Small game or stumps.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Yeah thats me,
    I must hang around a lot of the wrong trad guys. They are always telling stories about if they had their compound the deer, moose, whatever would have been dead. It just seems to me that they shoot trad to tell stories and brag about it. Like I said its my openion and im young. Im sure it will change over time. But as of now thats how I feel Anyways, I have lost some game with my kondors. But I have lost far more ducks when I have knicked them with a bodkin than anything else. The kondor either knocks some feathers off or kills them dead. I just have not had a bad enough experience with the kondors to stop using them. Why change whats working for me ya know?

As for the buddies wannabe's, well we have plenty of them. I hear ya. They are definatly hunting for the wrong reasons. They'll either learn in time, seems to be a progression many follow.

As for the kondors, it makes sense why you like them so much now. They were intended for flying game. Well they actually I believe were a snaro knock off. The snaro was designed to be used for flying pheasants with dogs. Obviously a BH isn't going to work. Hate to cut up a dog for any reason, let alone a welll trained hunting dog.

As for hares, you should try the wrecking ball. Not a regular blunt, but a blunt with a 357 case with it's rim knocked off, then slide the blunt over the head. Or if you're using screw in's or have them, you can do this with steel blunts though it makes them quite heavier, it'll still work. For hares aim for the head or nothing! If you get up here let me know, wouldnt mind chasing some, and I do have a place I havent been to in a long time now. I'm sure the hares are still there, though I might have a harder time getting through the brush

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast