Thread: Starting cabin heater by phone

Default Starting cabin heater by phone

Looking for information on using a radio phone to preheat the cabin before we get there. I heard of this being done but looking for info on what fuel is best (propane or #1)what kind of heaters , and of coarse the smart box that makes it happen.

I never heard it done. But I know how to do it. I would think you’re talking about spending a lot of money.
    2- radios
    Remote control system
    Fail-safe system
    Heater / fuel
    battery power supply.

Everything will need to work at sub-zero temperature.

Sounds like fun project.

I have tossed around a similar idea as well, but after I started looking into the cost decided to ditch the plan. It only takes me a half hour or so to get it comfortable with a propane garage heater initially until the wood stove get up to temp. I start it all up when I get there and then by the time I unload the machines and get inside its warm enough to take some layers off. Not sure its worth the hassle. Would be a cool project though and a conversation filler!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Thanks looks like #2 is most like what im looking for. Now we need a heater.

I have friends that have phone control of Toyo and Monitor stoves but they're on the grid and have electricity, and that's the key ingredient. I've used solar and diesel electricity for several years with an invertor system but can't run a Toyo through the winter. If I was willing to put an automatic generator start circuit to charge the batteries as they ran low it would work, theoretically. The convenience of pre-heating the cabin isn't worth the expense or compexity for the system it would take to make it work in my case.

Default Not quite applicable...but along the same idea

I have a friend that was an owner-operator (trucker) that had a Webasto diesel fired heater in his truck. He had installed a switch that would receive a low frequency signal that cell phones emit when they ring. essentially he had a phone that he left in his truck that he could call and it would trigger the heater to start. If something came up and his plans changed, another call would turn it off. Think of it as a long distance clapper! I believe that many airstrips use a radio frequency trigger to turn field marker lights on. I guess if this is for a remote cabin, the radio frequency switch would be the one you are looking for.

Great idea, best of luck!

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

I have often thought of doing the same thing. It would be nice to make a call and have your cabin warm when you get there.
    A few frinds of mine have a little nordic oil stove in there cabin nordic make a small one that will heat there cabins while they are not there and uses no electric they set it on med and it keeps the cabin in the 40s and 50s depending on the cabin and outside temp. They dont burn much fuel at all. I have been to one of the cabins out by buluga it was 25 below and when we got to the cabin it was around 40 deg. the cabin was about 12 by 16 with a loft.

Default sensaphone

A Sensaphone might be able to pull something like that off. I know they sell them at Susitna Energy Systems in Anchorage. Give them a call, if the Sensaphone can't do it they may have an idea on how to make it happen another way. Good luck.

Default Electric heat by telephone

I have some experience with Sensiphone and they are a great unit for monitoring a cabin temperature, or water leaks, and also provide limited security services, but I don't think it could be used for what you are trying to do.

We have a cabin on the grid, and we use the telephone to turn on electric baseboard units, just to warm it up before we get there and get the wood stove going. Can also turn on (or off) lights or any other 110 or 220v device or appliance. I am using X-10 boxes bought from SmartHome, and a telephone transponder from Home Controls Inc. It works great.

Those are two great sources of information and devices to make something like you want to do work. I just found this post, and will give it some thought. I assume you are trying to start some type of oil heat device, like a Monitor, or Toyo?