Thread: Washdown Pump Kits

Default Washdown Pump Kits

Say I wanted to install one? Advice, Good Idea, Bad Idea, Problems, What brand and size. All advice and discussion welcome.
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Default good idea

I installed one on my new boat while we were finishing it. No problems yet and going on 4 years old and will be 5th summer. It came from west marine. I put the inlet on the transome by the drain plug hole. Ran 12' of hose and poked out a brass hose fitting to the front deck. Mounted the pump under the passenger dash. Easy to check and keep an eye on it. No problems yet at all.

Bought mine fro Cabelas 3 seasons ago for my 21 ft Searunner. Wonderful addition to any boat. Wire it so that when you can make sure you don't accidentally leave it on when out of water. That sounds like a no brainer, but I learned the hard way when my battery was drained once.

Look for one that can give you a high gpm. One of the best investments I ever made for my boat. Do some research and then see if you can find the pump online. I got a good price at boatfix.com, but that's been a few years ago. If you buy one soon, maybe you can get one with free shipping for the Christmas season.

A MUST HAVE!
    I mounted mine up under the gunwale, Seasports have a big space under there on the fish deck. The battery boxes built into the transom have a hole going to the kicker cables and a hole on the outside of the transom for the gas/cables/etc going to the kicker itself. You lay down on the fish deck and look up in the corner under the wall and its way up out of the way of anything. I used a hose material at the hardware store with the mesh running through the hose material (looks like fish net stockings), it doesn't collapse due to suction. I use it between the pump and the blue coiled discharge hose, enough to reach the shelf on the wall below where the blue coiled hose lays nicely. The pick up hose goes out the hole in the transom that all the stuff to the kicker pases through, down between the kicker mount and zip-tied to the trim tab. On the end of the pick up is a plastic shelled filter with a screen mesh inside. It is on top of the trim tab and enjoys the ride from there, its nice to not have to put another hole in the boat. The on/off switch is a toggle (Fridged North Electric parts...) in the corner under the wall at a fingers distance up so it doesn't show or get broke off. They make a tube for the blue coiled hose that keeps it hiden and put away, its in the Basspro Saltwater catalog, I might make a tube out of PVC pipe to hide it in the wall instead of laying on the shelf. Good luck with yours and enjoying spraying disgruntle crew members.

I'd be sure to install a sea cock when you the install a through-hull fitting below the water line. Hopefully you'll never have a problem, but it's nice to know you can shut the flow off if you need to. I have sea cocks on my raw water intake for the head as well as the intake for the wash down pump.

The pumps sure come in handy for washing down blood and any dirt that gets tracked in from a trip to shore, and mud off the front deck and anchor if you've been in a anchorage with foul smelling mud (like Bettles Lagoon).

I have a par max 4 pump on my boat. I would look around for one of these with the 50 PSI pump switch. Found that the higher PSI cutout with the bigger flow equals better fish cutting power. Just an observation from my install. Also put it some place that is easy to disconnect the hoses from in the winter. I had my case crack last winter from some water int he pump body. I thought I had it pumped dry and drained, but I guess not. Thankfully the parts are cheaper than a new pump.

Default sea cock is a must

even though I leave mine open all the time. But if I going out late in the season and know I won't need it cause it is so cold I make sure it is off. Plus I wired all my electronics and everything. I hooked them all up directly to the number one battery. Motors are on the the number two battery. I installed a three way battery switch, on/off, one, two or both. So that kills the power to the motors, then I installed a breaker panel with a 80amp breaker in line that has a switch to turn off and on under the dash. So that just kills the rest of the stuff just to make sure nothing drains the batteries. Batteries will be on the fifth season but I am thinking I will replace just for piece of mind. No problems at all with them so far.

If you do a thru-hull connection, be sure the seacock you buy is a true seacock. I forgot the specifics, but when I was looking at W. Marine a few years ago for a seacock, seems like there was another type of valve that could easily be mistaken for a seacock. The threads for each are different from each other. If you choose the non-seacock threads, then the valve could be more easily knocked off and you'd have lots of water in your boat real quick. I think the seacock threads are tapered or something.

For winterizing, I disconnect the hose at the seacock and stick the end of the hose into a gallon of RV antifreeze and then pump it through the pump.

How much pressure are you looking to get? If you dont need a lot of pressure you can use a regular old bilge pump. When I wanted to use it I tied it off and threw it over the side. When I wasnt using it, I stashed it in a bucket.

Default Like the Little Woman always reminds you...

it's all about PSI.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaULater View Post
    it's all about PSI.
    Yes it is but more importantly make sure your hose can handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    . . . a brass hose fitting to the front deck. Mounted the pump under the passenger dash.
    I'll be replacing my hose fitting this year as the one supplied with my boat was not brass and corroded. With the intake on the bottom of the boat, there's not an easy way to flush the system after every use unless you dunk your boat in fresh water - not always available.

Cheers,
    SH