Thread: Dall Sheep fly in?

Default Dall Sheep fly in?

Just wondering if anyone has any contacts for a pilot that does drop offs in the Brooks Range. I have found a few, but nothing under $3K a head. My partner and I are military and he is leaving next winter. Just trying to make this happen. Thanx.

It may be difficult to find one under 3k, as fuel and insurance prices are through the roof right now. Try Coyote Air or Deltana Outfitters. I've read good reviews about both.

Quote Originally Posted by RICKETEW View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has any contacts for a pilot that does drop offs in the Brooks Range. I have found a few, but nothing under $3K a head. My partner and I are military and he is leaving next winter. Just trying to make this happen. Thanx.

Don't think Deltana has an Air Taxi certificate in which case they could not provide a drop hunt........besides Sheep is their thing up there and they may not exactly have an abundance of sheep either. Deltana probably would not find it an ethical act on their part to drop you in some other guides AO> either.

Artic Flyers has an air taxi certificate. They are out of Kaktovic sometimes you can make arrangements to have them pick you up at Happy Valley.

Default gonna make it happen

thaks for the info guys. I'll give some of these guys a call. If anyone comes across any more info let me know. We may use the Wrangell mount. as a back up if any good info cames my way on a drop off service. Ounce again thanks for the info.

Default BR sheep

sent you a PM

Default sheep

Akhunter02 Sent You A Pm

RICKETEW- I'm also military, and I just booked my hunt over a month ago for my son and I for 2008. And right now this is getting late in the game for harvest areas, I called a few places and alot of them are booked already. alot of these sheep hunters as soon as they disembark a carrier with trophy in hand they are making reservations for the following year. Alot of the air carriers cater to outfitters and guides first. I know this because I started calling back in Sept and Oct. thats what they told me, (can't mention any names) they told me to call back after Jan. to see what was open. Also many carriers only can do two flights a day due to safety provisions. I know its expen$ive but military or not, they have a lively hood too, to make ends meet. The way I made sure to guarantee a flight at the time I wanted to go and where I wanted to go was to throw down 50%. and thats what I did. There are some smaller air transporters out there if you look around, most of the big names are booked throughout Aug...........THE QUEST FOR DALL SHEEP 2008 !!!!

Default Sheep Reservations

I think you are off base a bit. I know that 40 mile did not take reservations until Dec 3, the 1st Monday in Dec, same as every year. It is a 1st come 1st serve. Keep trying and good luck. Send me a PM, I might have a sugestion.

40 mi is booked within the first day...sorry

I know of at least 2 transporters that have openings for drop off sheep hunts in the Brooks Range and I plan on getting one of those spots if I don't draw this year.

Default Transporter?

Has anyone used Meekin's Air Service in Palmer? they fly into the Talkeetna's.

Quote Originally Posted by RICKETEW View Post
    Has anyone used Meekin's Air Service in Palmer? they fly into the Talkeetna's.

Yes, but never into the Talkeetnas.

Default Meekins

I used Meekins two years ago to go into the Chugachs. He is a great pilot and did a great job. My partner has used him several times and will say the same thing.

Default Meekins

I have used him for both the Talkeetnas and the Chugiach. Great guy, great flying and great service.
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"