Thread: Kodiak Gear Help!!!

Default Kodiak Gear Help!!!

I'm heading up to hit Kodiak's road system at the end of July next summer. My wife's looking to buy me a new rod & reel for Christmas (approximately $200 total). What should I have her get me? Also, what pound test should I put on the reel?

Default Spinning or Fly

During that time frame you will be fishing for Red's in Pasagshak or Saltery. Pinks will be just showing in the Buskin.

Spinning rods are a great all around rod for Kodiak. I would out fit it with 10 pound premium line. I personally like a good 7' medium action rod that allows me to cast great distances for the pinks and at the same time you can flip fly's for reds. Rods go with maybe a Lamiglas, Fenwick, Shimano for around 100-120. Reels I would go with a (high end) Okuma, Shimano, Quantum.

Fly rods it would be pretty tough to get into a good rig for 200.00 so if that's what your looking for so some shopping around. Rods you can beat a GLoomis or Sage with a good Ross reel.

Good luck and happy fishing.

I would also add that fishing for dollies of the beaches can be fantastic that time of year as well. Add a spare spool with 6-8 lb test to Shawn's recommendations and you ought to be good to go.