Thread: Rem 700 XCR Tactical in 300 Win Mag

Default Rem 700 XCR Tactical in 300 Win Mag

While up in Anchorage I could not help myself.
    So I picked up a new 700 XCR in 300 Win Mag. I also picked up a 4 x 14 Leupold 30mm Tube scope with the Boone and Crocket reticle. Now I just have to figure out how to use the scope system.

This m-700 has a 1 in 10 twist, So I am going to try 200 grain boat tails.

Anyone have a favorite long range 300 win mag load. I have not loaded for this caliber for 20 years.
    Last edited by Float Pilot; 01-27-2008 at 16:07.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Float Pilot,

Great purchase. You should be able to expect some excellent accuracy with this setup. I've shot the 300 win mag both personally and professionally for many years. I've about settled on Barnes bullets as my favorite for accuracy and terminal performance, and I'm about as big of a Nosler fan as you are likely to find. I recently started loading Barnes bullets almost exclusively (yes, they are pricey but I believe they are worth the extra expense). My present long range load is a 180 gr Barnes MRX BT stoked with 71.0 gr of IMR 4831. Out of my 1: 10 twist, 24" barrelled 700 Sendero I'm getting 3000 fps; please remember this is leaning on it pretty hard. This same recipe works for TSX with similar results. I have worked with other 200 gr bullets and can check my load data if you are set on throwing a heavier projectile. Your results may vary but it is sure hard to beat a tuned 700.

Timber out.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    George Orwell

Thanks for the load info. I have not loaded the 300 Win Mag in years and years. I have played with the 308 Norma Mag which is almost the same thing. I used 4831 in the Norma. I was thinking about trying RL-22 just to see how it works. I have a couple boxes of 200 grain Barnes and some 180 grain barnes bullets around here someplace. Plus some accubonds and Kodiak bullets for my 30-06 loads.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

The 308 Norma is a neat cartridge, really what the 300 Win Mag tries to be. While not a by a lot, I believe the 308 Norma is in everyway, shape and form a better designed cartridge. Never had the pleasure of owning a rifle chambered in the 308 Norma ,but, I did have a 721 custom built in 358 Norma back when I enjoyed the boomers and especially the 35s. (Have had most all the standard 35s at one time or another to include a 358 STA). Now, I find myself gravitating towards the smaller calibers. With all the premium bullet choices available today the great 30 caliber is more versatile than ever. I have to shoot a lot off the bench and from field positions, a little less recoil sure makes extended range sessions more pleasurable. I digress. Back to the subject at hand. Here is a little bit of load data for the 300 Win Mag. I'm sure you are well aware that what shoots well in one gun may provide unacceptable accuracy in another, just as one gun may digest a load without any pressure problems, where the same load blows primers in another. As you well know that's why handloaders customize their loads to each individual rifle.That said, powders like the 4831, IMR 7828, RL 22, RL 25, and N 165 are all in the proper burning range for your 300 Win Mag. My long time recipe for a Grizz load was 70.0gr of RL 22 launching 200gr Nosler Partitions at a tad over 2900fps. This load is extremely accurate out of a 26" PacNor barreled well tuned 700 produced consistent .5moa at 100 yards. My very best loads for accuracy in 300 win mag were shot out of both M24 and a 700 PSS. 73.5 grn RL 22, Sierra 190 gr HPBT Match Kings w/ CCI 250 Large Rifle primers. This load chronys 3018 fps and is capable of .25 groups of 5 at 100 yds. Another load I have toyed with some is 75 gr. N165, Berger 190 VLDs w/Federal large rifle primers at 2858 fps. . Another effective load is 75.5 gr RL 22 with 180 gr Nosler full metal jacket solid base ballistic tip w/ CCI large rifle primer at 3118 fps. I wouldn't recommend these loads for hunting 4 legged critters as expansion is unpredictable but I can still verify terminal effectiveness on target. End of mission.
    Timber out.

“There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.”
    Ernest Hemmingway

Note: Users assume all risk, responsibility and liability whatsoever for any and all injuries (including death), losses or damages to persons or property (including consequential damages), arising from the use of any data, whether or not occasioned by negligence or based on strict liability or principles of indemnity or contribution. Timber Smith neither assumes nor authorizes any person to assume for any liability in connection with the use of any of my data.

Default Rifle

Congratulations on the new rifle. I just had a custom 300 win mag built and love it. I went with a custom Brought Barrel C-5- 5.75 in the 1 to 11 twist.

Default 300 WM powders

I have had excellent results with RL 22 for heavy bullets and RL 19 for lighter projectiles. If I remember correctly, Hodgdon has some amazing loads for a 200 gr. NP with Retumbo.

Make sure to give us a range report on it when you can. I am still thinking of getting one. I love that black Trynite coating, and the OD stock.
    You know you aren't really having fun until you ask yourself -how much is this going to cost me?