Thread: best eye relief scope

Default best eye relief scope

I am thinking about replacing my leupold rifleman scope on my 325 WSM. I am planning to use the rifle for all but the big bears and am not confident shooting prone with the current setup. I know that I can shoot offhand and from any upright rest up to 9 power comfortably the recoil sends it pretty close to my eye but far enough that I don't flinch. I don't think I could shoot prone without getting my brow redecorated. This makes it questionable for sheep. I am looking for a good scope that offers better eye relief. I am thinking something in the leupold VX II-VX-L price range. I have a 3-9 I expect most shots to be around 7x but would be willing to go with a 4.5-14 if it offered more eye relief in the 7-9 range without adding tooo much more weight.
    Thanks

Default what I do

LuJon,

I'm not sure of the eye relief distance on the rifleman series, but you might compare it to the VxII & III to see if there really is that much difference. When I'm shooting in a prone position and I have the target acquired in the crosshairs, I back off the eyepiece somewhat so that I don't have the full field of view. This gains you some added eye relief and only compromises your field of view for the actual shot in the prone position. Try it out at the range to see if it works for you...might save you from having to buy a new scope.

Thanks for the trick I will try it at the range and see how it works for me.
    I am still planning to move the rifleman to another rifle, perhaps my wifes 308 or my 7mm Mag. I am thinking about one of the leupy vxIII 4.5-14's. It specs at 5" at 4.5x and 3.7" at 14x. I figure most of my sheep shots will not require more than 7-9x but cant get specs on what the eye relief is at those settings. Anyone have any insight?

Smile 4.5x14

I have a VX-III, 4.5x14. Set the 'scope all the way down to aquire your sight picture. This gives max eye relief. Then crank it up while still on the target to get only as much magnafication as you need.

Default Vxiii

Take a look at the Leupold VXIII 2.5 X 8 by 36 mm. Lots of eye relief and plenty of power for any big game hunting in Alaska. I own several Leupolds and I think it is their most versatile scope.