Thread: Carb problem???

Unhappy Carb problem???

I have a 01 Suzuki Quadmaster that I bought to fix up and sale, but I can't figure out this carb problem. The machine starts only on full choke, runs fine for about 3 min. then dies. If I give it any throttle or take the choke off it dies. I've taken the carb out and cleaned it three times now and am starting to get very frustrated. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help I can get on this one.
    Kort

Default Suzuki

Check compression a bad intake valve will do that on a Suzuki.

Default Update on carb problem

I got it running now, but giving it more throttle causes it to spit and sputter and back fire. Sounds good at idle though, even with the choke off.

Sounds like you need to adjust your valves, if that don't fix it then you might have a bad one like kk alaska said.

Kort,Your carb may not be the only problem. A pinched gas line may be the culprit.Another possible is that the needle that connects to the float that meters the gas is sticking.Some sort of gas obstical is closing off the gas supply.If you take the gas line off the carb do you get a good flow of gas out of the line?How about some ice in the bottom of the carb?One final note, is the gas tank vented?Ken

I had the same sort of problem in an old kawasaki bayou. I actually bought new jets for it and put them in and it ran like a champ. Same size jets too, and to my eyes they weren't bad or clogged or anything... might be worth a shot its only a couple of bucks for new jets.