Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The worst handgun you ever owned?

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Default The worst handgun you ever owned?

We always talk about our favorites or the "best" gun for this or that, but we never like to mention those pollished up dog turds we have bought on occasion that just never really make the cut due to poor design or poor craftmanship.
    I would have to say, that the absolute worst handgun I have ever owned was a AMT Auto Mag III in 30 carbine. As the story goes, someplace deap in the bowels of Arcadia California, no doubt on the "wrong" side of the tracks was a foundry pooring low grade stainless into sand moulds to produce these little babies. Now dont get me wrong here......... it would go "bang" when you pulled the trigger.....just not all the time, and was more than likely to jam each time. I really have nothing good that I can say about that gun, except perhaps that I dont own it anymore! A close seccond would have to be my Taurus 5 shot stainless snuby wit a 2" barrel. It shoots good now, but man oh man did I have to do alot of work to that little turd!
    ďYouíve gotten soft. Youíre like one of those police dogs whoís released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.Ē Bill McNeal of News Radio

Mine would have to be a little Taurus PT140 that was bought for my wife. She "loved" the feel, and it was very reliable, but nobody could hit the side of a hill with it. It was hands-down the most inaccurate gun I've ever handled. Even the little Hi Point I had when I was younger would shoot circles around it.
    Hunting, camping & shooting goodies. http://www.laksupply.com

Default That's easy...

A.A. Arms model AP9

It's a cheap knock off of a Tec-9 style 9mm pistol. I bought it many, many years ago from a co-worker who put one box of ammo through it and decided to get rid of it. I got it for less than $100, but I can't recall the exact price tag. Whatever it was, it was too much.

I probably put 300 rounds through it myself. The action was very stiff and the bolt failed to go fully into battery several times. I tried some polishing of the action and tweaking of the recoil spring, but never got that problem to go away. So it went on a shelf and has been there ever since. I've never sold a gun in my life, so I expect it will still be there when I die, and probably still with about 350 rounds through it. I do pull it out every once in awhile for cleaning and oiling so it doesn't rot away in storage, same as all my infrequently used firearms.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

My S&W M22A .22 auto pistol holds the title for me. Easy as pie to clean but thats cause it needs it. It should have come with a jewlers flat tip screwdriver instead of an extractor cause it missfires and fails to extract at least once per clip. I may be singing a different tune when I get some more time to try other ammo and maybe a trip back to smith, it is a pain for brand new name brand pistol. All time worst I have fired is a jensen arms .22 pistol. The thing was tiney and fun to shoot but the firing pin would get stuck protruding and about every second round it would slam fire, go into full auto, and finish the clip for you. It was fun to shoot as long as you knew what you were in for.

Default LLama

my dad bought me a llama 357mag pistol instead of a class ring, good option you guys should do the same with your teens. Anyways shooting factory reloads I think remington. The barrel fell off while shooting at spruce hen. I sent the gun back to a company on the east coast who imported them. Months later I get a call and they say the gun is out of production. He asked me if he could send me a 9mm auto instead. I said sure sounds like a fun gun. The gun arrived at chimos and I picked it up, funny thing was I 18 or 19 years old. Nobody from the factory asked my age or anything. Took it out shooting many time but it always jammed at some point. Sold it and never looked back or at llama guns again.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

LuJon, thats funny about the Jensen. Way back in the day, I used to work on the airplain owned by old man Jensen........... well, he wasnt actually very old, but thats besides the point. Anyway, the guy was a total and complete spaz! One of those guys that is always going a thousand miles an hour and never really getting anywere if you know what I mean. One day, he shows up to go fly and deliver a "bunch" of new pistols to some vendor. Well I stand there and whatch as he and his buddy load a Piper twin turbo prop, two feet deap with boxes of pistols. Now I am a pilot, but not rated in twins, so I asks the guy........"gee, I notice that the struts are totaly smooshed flat, and it seems like your REALLY heavy, are you sure this is ok" to which he says "yep, its ok, not to worry!" and proceedes to blast down 10,000 feet of runway befor stagering into the air, and off to his destination. Careless, stupid, and spaztic is no way to go thru life son! Dont know what ever became of that guy and his crappy company (he actually told me himself, that his guns were made as cheap and crappy as possible, while still being "functional". He said "I aint exactly marketing towards the discriminating buyer here") Funny stuff!
    ďYouíve gotten soft. Youíre like one of those police dogs whoís released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.Ē Bill McNeal of News Radio

I tried a Ruger P-85 when they first came out as a duty gun. (I was alowed to buy all sorts of stuff for a couple years to try out for a couple months of duty wear...)
    I did not care for it much.

Also had a Walther P-22 that had all sorts of problems.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default No amount of planning will ever replace Dumb Luck.

I had one pistol that gave me trouble. It was a Phoenix Arms 22 LR.

Iíd seen a write-up in the American Rifleman, that said it was the Catís Meow. A long time ago, you could believe what you read in the AR magazine. I donít remember the price, but boy, was it cheap. So cheap, I called a dealer and went ďFirst CabinĒ, ordered one in Nickel, and with the extra, longer barrel. It came in a plastic case with a lock, and cleaning equipment etc. It looked like it was pretty decently made, actually.

This gun liked to jam. Cleaning it didnít help, and different ammo didnít help, either. I sent it back to Phoenix twice, and they tried to fix it. Each time they sent me an extra magazine. I have 4 now.

The company is outta business now, and partly because they didnít make any money on the one they sold to me, considering, the expense of trying to repair it, and the fact that I didnít pay much for it anyway.

One day I took my pocket knife and whittled on the feeding ramp and when I tried it, it fired repeatedly without a hiccup. I did the same thing on the other barrel, and it works OK too.

The amazing thing is, that this pistol is accurate, and has adjustable sights. AND, I have 4 clips now. Itís easy to clean too. I use that CCI Lightning ammo.

The only downside is that it has so many safety options that you have to get used to, and I wanted it for a pocket pistol, but itís hefty enough to weigh my pocket down a bit too much to be very easily concealed.

Itís about the same size as my Walther PPK, so I take it out pretty often and shoot it for cheap practice. Alls well that ends well, I guess, but I do wonder how long this contraption is gonna last.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Erma 'Luger' look-alike .22's!

I had one, new in the box,unfired, couldn't get thet hing to go off two times in a row with ANY brand ammunition.
    Second one would fire, but had to manually extract the case from the extractor, the ejector wouldn't work, and it never would cycle far enough to pick up the next round from either of the mags.....junk!
    I've had a couple of H&R .22 revolvers that were turds, BUT, they'd also been beat, bashed and abused for who knows how many decades, so can't blame the design....

Brand new in box model 629 S W trigger would not pull back, hammer would not come back or rotate cylinder. Bought it when I had dealer license for a buddy guiding in Alaska. Was supposed to be bear protection. I guess you just throw them and hope the bear doesn't duck.

Default AMT

AMT Backup 45ACP

Numerous ftf. Started to rattle after 150 rnds.

Nate

Default worst handgun

Had two that were a total bust in my book . First was a SuperRedHawk in .454 , the trigger guard would hammer me every shot , sold it and stuck with my Freedom Arms s.a. which is a pleasure to shoot . Second was a brand new M29 .44 . I had a few hot loads I'd been running through my Super BlackHawk for years , one cylinder full in the Smith and that was it .

Default Lhama

My first handgun I bought when I was in college was a Lhama .45 auto. It shot decent, but it was an all around cheap gun.

I've got an original Luger captured during WWII by a family member. It's no wonder the original owner was DOA. The bloomin thing will jam with any ammo and without excuse. Dandy wall hanger with a great story, cuzz a jam saved the life of my relative. But it's purely a wall hanger.

An American brand 9mm derringer.

The concept is cool, but the reality was 12" groups at 12'.

Two
    RG 22 short my buddy found while sitting on a rock elk hunting in CO while I was in college; it would fire, just not group for beans, but then they sold for something like $19 new...

I bought a Norinco T33 in 9mm from Longs Drug; took it home, cycled the slide and the safety, and promptly laid open my thumb on the sharp edges. Never did fire it.

Wink

Got to be a S&W model 39 9 mm. It never jammed, and fired every handload that it was fed, but I hated the alloy frame. Also the slde, notched the release catch on the frame, and you needed a tool/ screwdriver to strip the slide off the frame. In fairness i"ll have to say that i"ve never liked auto"s, except the Colt 45 auto's. There the only ones that I would own.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

I bought a very expensive S&W ultralight .22lr as a camping/pot gun. 4" barrel, adjustable "Hi-Viz" sights, which I hated. Took it and 8 different kinds of .22 ammo to the range.

Best group was 5" at 25 yds-from a rest!

Went to see a S&W rep who was visiting one of the gunshops in town. He really didn't seem interested and never got back to me. Sold that POS to a gun store, letting them know it didn't shoot worth a darn and picked up a Ruger MK II.

I wasn't expecting one hole groups, but 5" as the best? And I was underwhelmed by S&W's customer service.

Default The worst

was, by far, a P-85 Ruger.

Joe
    Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

70s era S&W model 59, Jammed routinely with ball ammo

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast