Thread: Proper way to clean lenses

Default Proper way to clean lenses

Any suggestions on how to clean scope and binocular lenses without scratching them? Any special cloth or cleaning liquid recommended?

I have a couple of scopes that got a little dirty and I want to clean them real nice but I know its pretty easy to scratch that stuff. I guess I'm just really really paranoid.

Thanks, schmidty

Forum Sponsor

If you use a soft hair brush (photo store item) to sweep off any foreign matter and then a quality lens cloth with a good lens cleaning fluid on the cloth (never put the liquid directly on the lens) you'll be fine.
    If there is anything I can answer for you or assist you with please let me know.
    Thanks and have a great day,
    Doug
    Camera Land
    1-866-9-optics
    1-516-217-1000
    gr8fuldoug@aol.com

Thanks Doug... I wouldn't have known to not put liquid directly on to the lens. I'll heed that advice and clean my scopes up.

schmidty

Default dumb question

But I'll ask it. Why don't you put the lens cleaner liquid right on binocular or scope lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    But I'll ask it. Why don't you put the lens cleaner liquid right on binocular or scope lenses?
    I belive putting the solution right on the lenses will create "WATER SPOT" damage that will stay there permanatly. Slightly moisten a photo rag and you should be fine.

Default camera cleaning kit...

I would get a camera cleaning kit from any camera store like Ritz or Wolf Cameras. Best Buy has some too. I like to add a micro fiber cloth for touch ups and to wipe behind the cleaning. Great for getting dust off the lenses between cleaning as well. $20 should cover the cleaning kit and a nice micro fiber cloth.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Forum Sponsor

You do not apply liquid to the glass directly because of a few reasons, all most likely will not have an effect but better safe than sorry.
    1) It is possible to accidently over apply liquid
    2) You can damage to coating
    3) If the optic is not sealed you could get liquid inside the tube of the optic
    My suggestion for a lens care kit is the Zeiss http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/z...enscleaningkit

Happy New Year
    If there is anything I can answer for you or assist you with please let me know.
    Thanks and have a great day,
    Doug
    Camera Land
    1-866-9-optics
    1-516-217-1000
    gr8fuldoug@aol.com