Thread: army jim----FILSON oilcloth

Default army jim----FILSON oilcloth

i have used this product for years and yes it is very effective----big negative however is that it is HEAVY,repeat HEAVY--can i say it again---HEAVY

I wore Filson tin pants for years while working as a surveyor in western and north western alaska. For those years I didn't even own a pair of rain pants. I just wore the same Filsons with a pair of polypro long johns under them every day. If kept properly oiled they would barely absorb water in the rain or when standing in the swamps. Within minutes they would simply dry out. Nothing beat them for toughness in the brush. The unfortunate downfall was that it took a solid week of wearing them to break them in. You also couldn't really wash them..so they stink to high heaven. For these two reasons I keep them as work pants and use something else while hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by ezmarsh View Post
    i have used this product for years and yes it is very effective----big negative however is that it is HEAVY,repeat HEAVY--can i say it again---HEAVY
    Hey, EZ, are those Filson pants heavy?

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I was thinking the tin cloth pants and a H/H jacket for the weight. I also noticed that Filson makes chaps you can wear over your pants so I might take that route, to get around the washing problem.

Talking yes they are

Quote Originally Posted by bustedknee View Post
    Hey, EZ, are those Filson pants heavy?
    just wanted to make sure he knows they are not comparable in weight to hunting gear---sporthill,sitka gear etc---excellent product but---HEAVY

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by armyjim View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, guys. I was thinking the tin cloth pants and a H/H jacket for the weight. I also noticed that Filson makes chaps you can wear over your pants so I might take that route, to get around the washing problem.
    Wash, what wash you just hose em off! I have those chaps, with the leather trim on the bottom, I doubt that you could wear them out in your lifetime. I have lots of thier products, the best!! But did anyone say that there heavy??? I have thier shelter cloth wading jacket and was standing on it with carbide stream cleats, by mistake,draped over rocks on a salmon trip, and they did not even puncture it!
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30