Thread: .375 ruger reduced loads

Default .375 ruger reduced loads

Ok, I have been after a medium bore elk round/bear stopper if necessary. 35o rem mag was high on the list, but I want open sights and the cost and getting someone to put on the front sight is a problem. The only rifle I like that i can find is the .375 ruger african. So is it feasable to use reduced loads for deer/moose etc when not in big bear country. I see in my manuals for .375 H&H 235 grain and 250 grain up to 2600 which should recoil similar to a .338 and full monte 270 grainers when hunting elk up North in bear country. I guess a 358 Norma is what I really want and need but factory rifle/brass etc is appealing and i particularly like the Ruger rifle. So there is the logic. What are the problems? What loads do .375 ruger owners use for practice at the range? I don't imagine you shoot 30 rounds of full monte 300 grainers for fun?

I have been impressed with the .375 Ruger since it first appeared. The Ruger Hawkeye African is compact, rock-solid, and very accurate with full power loads. Recoil in such a light rifle is stout, but not too much for a seasoned big bore shooter. Still, I wanted to explore reduced loads for plinking and close range shooting of whitetail deer. I have previously had INCREDIBLE results with the new Hodgdon Trail-Boss powder and light for caliber bullets. The .375 Ruger proved to be no exception. This is a new-chemistry light, bulky powder and safe for use in all the cases I have tried. The simple rule of thumb is to fill the case with Trail-Boss so that the chosen bullet sits at it's normal OAL without powder compression. I simply use a fired case so that the bullet can move freely and adjust the powder column until the bullet sits lightly on the powder at the normal OAL by its own weight. Cannulured bullets (like the 220 FP) make this lead pipe simple. I measure the powder weight with my measure and consider that the maximum load. Maximum accuracy has always been at the maximum load or 1-2 grains under.

With the .375 Ruger and the Hornady 220 grain FP, I settled on 28 grains with Hornady cases and a WLR primer. On the first range session, I shot a 3 shot one hole group at 50 yards. I will chronograph next and re-post my results. Try Trail-Boss for all your reduced loads and you will NOT be disapointed. The loads are all low pressure, safe, easy to develop, and accurate enough to make you smile. Let me know what you think with your own loads.
    Last edited by Dr. Mac; 08-04-2011 at 17:38. Reason: typo

While I haven't had the oppurtunity to fire a 375 Ruger. I've heard from a friend of mine who loads his to the original 375 H & H specs that it is both accurate and a pleasure to shoot. He has the Ruger Hawkeye "ALASKAN" version with a low power variable scope.
    The original load was a 235 grain projectile at 2600 fps.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Jack O'Conner wrote that he considered the .375 h&h a fine rifle for shooting thin skinned game like deer because the bullet is traveling so slow, but with high energy. The result was holes punched all the way through without damaging much meat. I suspect the Ruger .375 would perform similarly.

Haven't had a chance to try it myself but the theory seems to follow shotgun slug deer hunting. I'm hoping to try it on Kodiak soon.

I suspect shooting a 300 grain solid or A-Frame would be a good choice.

I have the .375 Ruger African and shoot the 270 gr Hornady loads for everything. I have shot .338 and 300 mags that recoil much harder than the .375. I find the .375 recoil more of a heavy push than a hard jolt and prefer shooting my .375 Ruger over all 3 of my 30/06s. I would not reduce powder loads, nor would I go any lighter than a 240 or 250 grain bullet if I were hunting elk, but would probably just stick with the 270 grain load.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

OKelkhunter got it right. Use the 270 factory loads and forget it.