Thread: 416 Rigby

Question 416 Rigby

Does anybody have any info/exp. on the Encore in this caliber? I was wondering about recoil and accuracy. The barrel is a 28" Pro Hunter with a break. I have a 375 H&H and 450 Marlin Guide Gun but will the recoil of either of these come close to the 416 Rigby in the Encore set up? Thanks

Talking

Only one way to find out! Stick one in her and touch it off and I'm bettin ya will flinch like a girl when ya let the first one go! Ha! I usually do!

O.K. I'll get real. The 416 Rigby is one heck of a round. It would be my choice if I were hunting critters that were hunting me back only probably not a once shooter. However that is just my personal opinion. We all know its better to hit em in the goodies one time than to shoot em in the @$$ a bunch of times.

TC doesn't make a bad product and I have never seen one that didn't shoot good groups. The muzzle brake will help the recoil but will play heck on your ears. I don't own a gun with a muzzle brake as I want all of the muzzle blast going away from me and not back at me. But then that is just how they work and again this is personal opinion.

Two things are in order here. A little extra eye relief on your scope and one of those gel type slip on recoil pads. The one I have is called "The shooters friend" I got it for my grandkids @ Cabelas for under $20. This particular one claims to reduce felt recoil by 70%. It makes sessions at the bench more tolerable. When shooting at live game the recoil just goes away for some reason so I make the grandkids man up when hunting and leave the pad at home, besides it makes the length of pull way to long for hunting applications.

O.K. now I am going to go off on an EKC tangent! This is not directed at you my friend but is in general! My son is a college football runningback. He has spent every saturday since squirrel season started getting knocked on his keester by 250-300 lb neandrathols. Some of these guys hit so hard that they rip him clear off his feet. Yet he jumps right back up and heads back for more. Last weekend he was home and we went out to shoot his slug gun. He fired one magazine full and said thats enough of that....... My response was "Wow bub when you got the football hemet on you are superman. Them big ole 300 lb fellas wack you so hard ya get grass stains on your shoulder blades. Yet ya take off that helmet and ya can't handle an 8lb Ithaca that only turns ya half sideways?" I said" bub your gonna look like hell deer huntin with your football helmet on!" Well since the young feller has half his mothers blood in him he responded like I thought he would. He shot up the remaining 25 shells in less than a minute. There were dead frozen cow turds all over the pasture. He then smiled at me, handed me the gun and said "do you feel better now?" To which I responded "Yup...it was fun wasn't it!" I know with out a doubt that I will never hear another peep out of him concerning recoil!

Where am I going with this? I am 100% convinced that 90% of recoil issues are between the ears. If Boddington's little pint sized daughter can kill stuff with the big boomers then why do full grown men whine about doing it?

Once again this is no way aimed at you....its been on my chest for a while and boy do I feel better now!

Advertisement; I will be giving the coyotes the weekend off this weekend because Jr will be playing in the National DII-DIII All-American Bowl game in the Metrodome. Then the next weekend he will be home to chase coyotes with me. I like watching him play football but I'd rather be hunting with him!

I'm done now................

Default I'm convinced...

I truly believe that most folks can handle most 'anything' they put their mind to using, with a couple of caveats...the gun's got to fit well, and it has to be in good position, or it WILL hammer me!!!
    Worst beating I think I ever took was with an ill-fitting Savage 110 in 7mm Rem Mag, one of the older ones with the bad-fitting cheesy 'hardwood' stocks and a cheap scope that I had to creep on the stock to see through.
    I get pushed around a mite with my lighter .375 H&H, but what's amazing is that when a round goes downrange at an animal, I rarely remember recoil at all.......

Talking recoil?

I agree with you Darreld and Elmer on this one. I think recoil is a state of mind, and not just a macho thing. Some people start out asking about recoil so they're already programming themselves to fear it. And it seems like the more one dwells on it, the more one fears it or at least becomes more aware of it. One needs to concentrate on shooting (sighting, breathing, etc) and refuse to let the recoil demon raise it's ugly head. It's kinda like riding a dirt bike and fear crashing by encountering, say a rock or rut. The more you concentrate on missing those obstacles out of fear, the more likely one is to hit them. So to get over the fear, one needs to ride over, thru and around to develop confidence and eventually no fear. Thanks, ciao.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

I'm not scared of recoil. I have shot 416 Taylor and 458 before but they were in heavier bolt action rifles. The Encore will be much lighter and I just don't want something you can't hardly hold onto. This will also just be something to fill in a gap in the collection but I will be going after a brown bear within the next couple of years.

I have a .375 H&H barrel for my Encore. I put a Flextech stock for the ProHunter on it and to me the recoil's no worse than my Benelli SBE with 3" HV steel. I don't notice the recoil on that gun when I'm shootin' at birds. I agree with Elmer and Darreld that recoil sensitivity is something you can talk yourself into. BTW Darreld, I don't have a little x where scopes got me, but I do have the front half of a set of quotation marks. Some of us are slow learners.

Default I would love to shoot of some big bores

while at the range I get hammerd if I don't have a high rest with a bunch of sand bags. It seems like if I am just on the table with a one bag and adjustable tripod thing I can't shoulder the rifle well and it starts to hurt. I am not one of those pussies who straps the gun into a vise and lets the machine take all the abuse. I want to know how the rifle will shoot from my shoulder. I must say I do mighty fine job of getting it done. The biggest caliber I have shot is .338. Been thinking about a big bore like 375 ruger or even a .416. BRWNBR's rifle sounds cool cus it is so lite. I am tall and skinny but I think I could man up. Back to the shooting part. I have shot 3/8'' chain links off before. Pretty cool. Seems like as long as I can put my left elbo or arm against something I can hit anything, without feeling the recoil. But if I sit a bench man oh man.