Thread: Best Muzzleloader Question

Default Best Muzzleloader Question

Non-profit group wants to purchase a muzzleloader for one of its raffles. What should they purchase?

Thanks

You'll get a lot of different opinions. Also, prices vary from about $150 to $700+, so a budget or price range would be useful.

FWIW I really like my Thompson Center Arms "Omega". The model I have has a stainless steel barrel, & laminate thumbhole stock. I think I paid ~ $600.

T/C has some newer models out that are worth looking at as well.

Quote Originally Posted by zeb View Post
    You'll get a lot of different opinions. Also, prices vary from about $150 to $700+, so a budget or price range would be useful.

Something around the $500 range. I have an FFl so I shouldn't have to pay retail for it.

Thanks for your input

Another thumbs up for T/C. A friend of mine bought the Encore 209x50 last year and we were both amazed at the long range accuracy. Plus you have the option of getting other rifle caliber barrels as well.

Check it out here - http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/encoreMuzzleloaders.php
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

If I were going to buy raffle tickets for a muzzleloader, I'd prefer a chance to win a T/C Omega for an in-line or a Lyman Great Plains Rifle or Great Plains Hunter for a traditional muzzleloader. I think if I were to win any other make / model of muzzleloader, I'd more than likely sell it and get something I'd want. But that's just my preference. And I'm never lucky enough to win a raffle in the first place.

It kind of depends on how the winner ends up using the muzzleloader. As a general rule of thumb, most folks who enjoy them and shoot them lots end up using the traditional sidelocks. I don't know a single person who owns only an inline that shoots them year around, while there are a bunch of us that shoot traditionals all year long.

I've got both inlines and traditional sidelocks, but the sidelocks are just a whole lot more fun to use. If your raffle winner never even fires the muzzleloader, a sidelock is going to be something they will want to put on display over the mantle or somewhere prominent simply because they look cool, while I bet an inline ends up in a closet somewhere.

If the gun is to be used in the special primitive weapon season, it can't be scoped at the time, so inlines lose any edge there. Without scopes they don't hold any advantage over the sidelocks.

I agree with the recommendations so far on inlines.

The potential sidelocks certainly starts with the Lyman, and it can end there too, in my book. I've got several and they're great. T/C's are beyond your budget now, and Traditions are okay, but not nearly as good as either Lyman or TC.

You hear lots of talk about inlines being easier to clean, but I don't find that to be the case. Both require cleaning after each shooting session, and both are messy.

The one exception in the Traditions line quality-wise, and the one I'd recommend for both budget and pure fun is their Crockett at around $300. It's 32 caliber, and immense fun to shoot. No other company is making small calibers at reasonable prices anymore. No, the winner won't use it for big game, but they'll fall in love with it for small game and plinking. You'll get lots of interest in your raffle from folks already owning a big game muzzleloader, too.

I just checked and the Crockett is $293.82 at Midsouth Shooters Supply, which is the lowest price I've found.

Default T/C Pro Hunter

I have both the Pro Hunter and the Omega. I would choose the Pro Hunter over the Omega, if my budget could afford it. With the ability to purchase many different barrels, The Pro Hunter allows the winner to have more options.
    Even with the price difference, I would bet that you would sell more Pro Hunter tickets, so the price may not be all that important.
    Put me down for $50 and tell me where to purchase, no matter which you choose

I am a traditional muzzleloader hunter, but the T.C.'s are outstanding. You will probably get a better response by offering one of them. Remember, though, an Encore has to be dealt with like any centerfire rifle because of it's frame and can be converted to a modern rifle by switching barrels, but a true muzzleloader, such as the Omega, is not restricted.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Default T/C Encore

We are going to purchase a T/C Encore and (2) extra barrels.

This should make a great prize.

This is for the MATSU chapters Alaska Moose Federation Fundraiser and will be awarded the night of our event April 12th, 2008.

I think I will put it on our dessert auction. I think this will pump up the prices of our 7 desserts.

Thanks for all your help.

Troy

Thumbs up

You what something most Alaskan's have not even seen! Then buy a marksbery! The Blackbear will set you back around $500 and any muzzleloading hunter who sees this gun will be interested, take a look at

www.markesbery.com
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

I tried the link, and on my machine anyway, all the photo loads are dead. Most recent date I can find on the site is 1999. Is the site still maintained, and are they still in business?

Not picking at you, rather it sounds like an interesting group of guns. I'm interested and want to see what they look like, along with current prices.

Any ideas on what's going on with the site?

Brown Bear,
    I just tried the link above and it loaded fine, try again, maybe it was down for maintenance.
    Frank
    www.wildroselodge.com

Dunno what's going on, cuzz all the photo loads are still broken for me. I'm using Firefox and lots of firewall. Could that be the problem?

Smile

I'm not sure, but here's some pics of the Black & Grizzly bear models.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Frank
    www.wildroselodge.com